Diablo® III

White items = trash?

From what I've read from the developers, they seem to want the white items we find to be essentially trash that we don't even bother to pick up. But from the beta, it seems that they still can bring in a decent amount of money selling them to the merchant, and it only takes maybe 20 seconds to portal in, sell your whites, and portal out. In the beta this is still "reasonably" profitable, especially now that you don't get spammed with bolts/arrows and 8-slot gear.

But maybe, on the retail game as you advance the levels, the whites will stay their 15-20 gold a piece, while the actual gold drops will gradually increase. And I suppose the magic items' retail prices won't go up either, so the only thing to do would be salvage. So, later on in the game, it really won't be worth your time to collect whites to sell because you can just collect more gold drops.

This seems to be the only way that it really wouldn't be worthwhile to collect and sell whites.
Reply Quote
I wish u could use good white items like the ones with +enchanced damage by some % as base for crafting.. just give it to smith to craft on it, keep the +%%dmg ofc ^^

That would make me pick whites.
Reply Quote
Basically, yes, they are trash. As Blizzard has stated, by having mobs drop trash (lots of it) gives you a real sense of excitement when something worthwhile drops (blue, rare, etc.). In beta I didn't bother picking up whites as the sell value was so small.

If you have any +gold items then the gold alone should be sufficient. Running around picking up whites that sell for 2-4 gold seemed pointless. (Besides, this game has enough clicking already. Anything I can do to avoid more seems smart for the sake of my wrist!)
Edited by sympathy#1829 on 4/25/2012 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
they currently sit below the threshold of value, rather than straddle it.

it makes them

1) redundant with grey,
2) worse than gold pile counterparts from the same mobs which are more common and gf% augmented

the simplest solution I thought of was an imbue feature from D2, either through repeatable quest chain or requires some fallen tooth mat + gold

then at least some whites have meaning for some people
Edited by zoid#1554 on 4/25/2012 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When I played the beta, I would go around picking up everything and selling it for a little profit until I realized that the minutes you waste picking up whites, and going to sell them to the merchant isn't worth it when you could have used that time to kill more mobs. This is especially true on co-op runs. Everyone races to the finish and doesn't pick up any garbage on the floor. (I had to convince my friend to pick up blues because the gear dropped at the boss is all he cares about xD)

-To combat this "trash" degradable into mats for the blacksmith, or perhaps make an auto alchemy ability that just turns whites into gold. Either way it doesn't really matter. After the first 10minutes of gameplay, I won't be picking up whites.
Reply Quote
Contrasting to D2:

Ever since patch 1.10, whites were the basis for the best items in the game. Every perfect Enigma needed a 15%ed armor of some sort. So you were always at least taking a quick peek through the trash items on the ground. As the knowledge of the game grew, even a seemingly worthless item could be the pride of an obscure build. Yes, we had absolutely worthless stuff for most characters such as arrows or stamina potions. But at some point, every single item ever dropped might have value.

In D3, whites are basically only useful for new characters. At level 60 with even bad magic gear, no white will ever be useful.
Reply Quote
See I think the only fix they need to make is make whites worth more gold... This way people would be encouraged to pick them up and sell them. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
add whites as a requirement to some recipes. Especially the superior versions for the bonus stats. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I understand the point of this thread but why is it a problem that people don't pick up whites. I sounds like a matter of personal preference. Although I do like the idea of using whites as a base for either making items with the BS or like with the old rune word system.
Edited by lethalsin#1360 on 4/25/2012 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To me white items = gold

If you pick them up it adds up.
Edited by Highlen on 4/25/2012 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
To me white items = gold

Read again what korba said. Your in a group of 4, you pick up 2-4 Blues and a inventory full of whites. Say 15. Ok your full, hearth back(10 seconds) and sell, click,click,click, maybe even disenchant/render whatever the blues at the BS. Join your friends, say 30 seconds tops. 15 whites 2-4g each say 50g. In the meantime your friends just killed 3 mobs which combined dropped 150g. Your out 100g.

Numbers from stress test weekend but I don't think I am too far off.
Reply Quote
To me white items = gold

Read again what korba said. Your in a group of 4, you pick up 2-4 Blues and a inventory full of whites. Say 15. Ok your full, hearth back(10 seconds) and sell, click,click,click, maybe even disenchant/render whatever the blues at the BS. Join your friends, say 30 seconds tops. 15 whites 2-4g each say 50g. In the meantime your friends just killed 3 mobs which combined dropped 150g. Your out 100g.

Numbers from stress test weekend but I don't think I am too far off.

You have to keep in mind that you are basing this off the Beta. We don't know what kind of income doing this will yield later on down the road. In the current build you are correct. There isn't a good reason to pick up a grey or white unless it is currently better than what you are using.

Honestly though I like to think that white and grey items are simply padding for when the blue, yellow, green and gold items finally drop. It feels a lot more satisfying to get a unique item if you had to get 500 useless items. Personally I would be bored if every item that dropped, though be it a low chance, was a good or semi-good item. Adding in these padding items makes getting a good item that much more satisfying!
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
04/25/2012 06:15 PMPosted by CrixOMix
See I think the only fix they need to make is make whites worth more gold... This way people would be encouraged to pick them up and sell them. Problem solved.

They actually specifically made them worth LESS gold to discourage picking them up!

The only reason you should ever pick up a white is if it's a weapon with more damage than what you have. Theoretically, this could happen at any time from Normal to Hell (but probably not Inferno).

Suppose you're just entering Hell mode. You have a blue weapon from Nightmare. A high level white from Hell drops, with better damage stats on it (especially if it's a Masterwork or Balanced, or something like that). I would use it.
Reply Quote
86 Orc Death Knight
02/04/2012 01:44 PMPosted by theonlysane1
it seems that they still can bring in a decent amount of money selling them to the merchant

Not at all. A random drop of 50 gold is probably worth more than an entire inventory of whites.
Reply Quote
I think they should somehow incorporate the white gears for use in recipes or something.
Reply Quote
Are we really sure that the first 13 levels is representative of the game as a whole? I remember in Diablo 2 whites were pretty much useless in the early game but as you leveled heavier armor in particular would be well worth the time to pick up for money.
Reply Quote
It costs you more money in lost revenue than to take the time to pickup the white items in beta and sell them when you're in town anyways. Yea, you can make money off of them, but for sake of efficiency you can make more money by leaving them and just killing more stuff.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
picking up and selling white items will bring you good luck

so by saying that, it certainly couldn't hurt to do it....
Edited by zoid#1554 on 4/28/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In the beta, whites weren't generally worth picking up. But I'm assuming, much like D2, there will be some whites later in the game that are actually worth picking up and selling.
Reply Quote
Whites aren't worth picking up. They sell for less than gold drops do, of which there are a million.

The only reason they exist is after testing, blizzard came to a realization. It was more fun to see items pop out of monsters more often, and for a large explosion of items when you kill big guys.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]