Diablo® III

~Breakpoints~ Diablo 2 -vs- Diablo 3

Diablo 3 does not have breakpoints the same way Diablo 2 did.

Because it was a 2-dimensional game, although displaying some 3D graphics, Diablo 2 was restricted by frame rates in all speed calculations. What this meantis that, for each action, or in order for that action to be displayed, such as the swinging of your sword, it took a certain ammount of frames. Character action speeds were based on discrete breakpoints, rather than a fluid speed ratio. Think of the oldschool motion picture films. If for example, a Paladin wih 0% increased attack speed swung a sword with (0) attack speed, let's say the default speed was 9 frames. Meaning it would take 9 frames to display the motion and apply the effectof swinging the sword. The next speed available would have been 8 frames (the less frames it takes to display something, the faster it is because less time is elapsed).

What does this all mean? Simply put, 10% increased attack speed may not necessarily change your attack speed by 10% in Diablo 2. Why? Because to compensate for the fact that 2D must display at a whole-number frame rate, Blizzard set breakpoints at which the ammount of frames would change. I.E., 0% atk speed = 9 frames, maybe 25% = 8 frames, maybe 48% = 7 frames. I'm only throwing these numbers out as examples to show the concept. Using the numbers above, basically if you had 20% increased attack speed, you would hit just as fast as if you had 0%. it's not until you hit 25% that the ammount of frames it takes to display your swing changes.

THE DIFFERENCE

In Diablo 3, these actions are performed in 3D. There is no constraint by frame rates. In Diablo 3, 5% increased attack speed means 5% increased attack speed, of course being rounded to the nearest 0.01 attacks per second to keep the numbers nice.

I hope this guide helped some people in understanding attack/cast/block/recovery speed calculations.

For other explanations, guides, walkthroughs, downloads, videos, and discussions visit
www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com

-Sabin
Dark Revolution Gaming
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 3:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
The first half of your post was very nice. Some very useful info there. I did know this already but very nice to be reminded of it, thank you.

The 2nd half of your post was just pure advertising. And I reported it to Blizzard as such.

If you don't want to visit don't visit, but I will post a link back to where the content is from. There's nothing wrong with giving credit where it's due, and our members put a lot of research into their guides. I provided this information to the Battle.net community, again, if you don't want to visit the site then don't visit. I could be doing what the other sites are doing and just advertise, but I chose to provide useful content and just add a link to my guides. In any case, enjoy the free guide.

-Sabin
www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Morchok
TMC mod >_>

Yep. Won't be anything like it in D3 anymore
Reply Quote
View profile
02/04/2012 02:55 PMPosted by D3BETA

Actually that's among the most likely to be made

Sorry to burst your bubble
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 03:06 PMPosted by GameMaster2D

Really? What frame rates are you going to edit? The only way I see this being done is by injecting scripts into B.net, which are not only detectable, but fairly easy to find.

But no, the first exploit I think people are going to try is going to be to automate mfing.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/04/2012 03:12 PMPosted by D3BETA
Really? What frame rates are you going to edit? The only way I see this being done is by injecting scripts into B.net, which are not only detectable, but fairly easy to find.
How it's done may be different but the results will be the same

There will be hacks that will increase attack speed and run speed, but you're probably right they will be fairly easily detected and patched and then someone will make a bypass and a new hack

But no, the first exploit I think people are going to try is going to be to automate mfing.
that's quite a bit more complicated (at least effectively) then bypassing blizzards anti-hack system and creating a speed hack
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 03:22 PMPosted by GameMaster2D
How it's done may be different but the results will be the same

There will be hacks that will increase attack speed and run speed, but you're probably right they will be fairly easily detected and patched and then someone will make a bypass and a new hack

that's quite a bit more complicated (at least effectively) then bypassing blizzards anti-hack system and creating a speed hack

Not really... A simple macro with a color picker would do it lol. Would probably utilize the lowest graphical settings in the game, set windows graphics to 16 bit, not that I would know anything about the subject of course.

In any case the purpose of this topic is to explain that there is no breakpoints in D3, not to try to find ways to speedhack =D.
Reply Quote
And the point of this thread giving information that isn't really important to anybody is what? I mean other than advertising of course.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
02/04/2012 02:30 PMPosted by D3BETA
In Diablo 3, these actions are performed in 3D. There is no constraint by frame rates. In Diablo 3, 5% increased attack speed means 5% increased attack speed, of course being rounded to the nearest 0.01 attacks per second to keep the numbers nice.

Has testing been done to demonstrate this?

Because it's totally possible to make a 3-d game that functions around redrawing frames like D2 does, or a 2-d game that can do fraction-of-a-frame time calculations and then 'round' them off to eliminate the breakpoint artifact.

The difference is not graphical but one entirely behind-the-scenes.
Reply Quote

Has testing been done to demonstrate this?

Because it's totally possible to make a 3-d game that functions around redrawing frames like D2 does, or a 2-d game that can do fraction-of-a-frame time calculations and then 'round' them off to eliminate the breakpoint artifact.

The difference is not graphical but one entirely behind-the-scenes.

By rounding you are still creating a breakpoint effect, only now the breakpoint would be based on reaching the .5 to round up rather than reaching the full number. The point is to illustrate the difference that there are defined frames whereas in 3D games animations are much more liquid.

As for Diablo 3, yes, you can see a clear difference even with 5% attack speed. I haven't had an item that had less than that, but with 5% you can see a difference in casting speed, as well as the display on the weapon changing its attacks per second, and as a result changing the DPS ofthe base item, so yes it's confirmed. Of course having just got in the beta this week I only had the chance to test it on one character, a wizard with a wand equipped, one with a 5% speed boost and one without, but regardless, the data is conclusive.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 4:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Not really... A simple macro with a color picker would do it lol. Would probably utilize the lowest graphical settings in the game, set windows graphics to 16 bit, not that I would know anything about the subject of course..
Without getting into any detail I can say it's a bit more complicated then that

02/04/2012 03:42 PMPosted by D3BETA
In any case the purpose of this topic is to explain that there is no breakpoints in D3, not to try to find ways to speedhack =D.
Agreed I wasn't trying to derail your thread, just correcting false information that there won't be anything like that in diablo3.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
02/04/2012 03:56 PMPosted by D3BETA
By rounding you are still creating a breakpoint effect, only now the breakpoint would be based on reaching the .5 to round up rather than reaching the full number.

Not if you're calculating fractions of a second from one attack to the next and use that calculation to determine when to round up and when to round down.

The point is to illustrate the difference that there are defined frames whereas in 3D games animations are much more liquid.

3D games still have framerates.

As for Diablo 3, yes, you can see a clear difference even with 5% attack speed.

Okay, that's good.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 04:26 PMPosted by GameMaster2D
Not really... A simple macro with a color picker would do it lol. Would probably utilize the lowest graphical settings in the game, set windows graphics to 16 bit, not that I would know anything about the subject of course..
Without getting into any detail I can say it's a bit more complicated then that

02/04/2012 03:42 PMPosted by D3BETA
Agreed I wasn't trying to derail your thread, just correcting false information that there won't be anything like that in diablo3.

I suppose it's possible, just different, as much less of the game's mechanics are clientside. The difference is it would be detectable and in Diablo 3 you have a lotmore to loose. It's a $60 game, and whatever other games you have registered to your account they can just banthe whole thing. All your WoW chars, loose SC2 with it, heh, just not worth it.

In any case, enjoy the free guide.

Free-to-Air TV is free also. But has adds shoved in the middle I have to put up with. To get the good show I have to suffer through the adds. And your articles are the same. To read your good free info I have to suffer with your advertising stuck on the end.

Advertising is always there for a reason. For television stations to get revenue. Or in your case for your website to get more hits. If you really didn't want to advertise, then it would not be there in the first place. That simple.

The first part of your post as I said was very good thanks. But I felt I had to report it. Cause the TOS clearly talks about advertising. And I did spend like 3 hours once going through it all.

Did you read my entire post in its entirety? This guide is one of many in a collection on my site. Again, siting the source, if you got a problem with that, you can go buy one of those E-books online and download the PDF guides that will give you similar information for a price, and then still bombard you with ads for their other products.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote

Yeah, it wont be hard to make it undetectable. Lol, you speak like their detection system is unbeatable.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 05:12 PMPosted by theeighthark
I had an issue with it so I reported the post. Now it's in Blizzard's hands. Simple

Yet you make 3 troll posts to follow. Why are you still on the thread if you have a problem with it? Grow up.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 05:25 PMPosted by D3BETA
I had an issue with it so I reported the post. Now it's in Blizzard's hands. Simple

Yet you make 3 troll posts to follow. Why are you still on the thread if you have a problem with it? Grow up.

This my friends is what happens when people blow things way out of proportion... I mean seriously why is this so important that MP5THuG put the website where he got it from.

Its a gaming community, I am a part of it and so far its been very fun so far and Diablo3 isn't even out. One thing I can say is that THuG doesn't just pull stuff out of his butt. Also I can say he's not trying to make a buck doing this. If you don't believe me. Please take the 4 seconds and go to our site right now...
See any advertising? how is he making money ehh?
I thought his guide was useful and interesting. Not because I am trying to defend him. Its cause its my opinion. Well I'm done now.
Haters please continue drinkin your haterade and trolls keep on trollin, no body can stop ya!

02/04/2012 02:30 PMPosted by D3BETA
There is no constraint by frame rates. In Diablo 3, 5% increased attack speed means 5% increased attack speed, of course being rounded to the nearest 0.01 attacks per second to keep the numbers nice.

now my real question is. With gear and such, whats the highest attack speed percent increase will we see in Diablo3? Thinking of a Monk with 90% attack increase to his skills. Will a human be able and hardware be able to be fast enough to keep up with the rate at which you can spam the skill? Or say a Barbarian with Frenzy + an additional 50% attack speed?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]