Diablo® III

where is d3 development headed?

90 Orc Death Knight
so blizzard seem to be hanging on to the idea that they are going to take their time and hang on to diablo 3 until its "ready" but so far they continue to contradict that theory, how many things in the last month have been removed because of insufficient development time? companions, reforging and the mystic artisan were all removed because they were "underdeveloped" if taking the time to make sure the game is great* is so important why not do that? you keep telling us how you're not releasing the game until its ready and then cutting features because they are not ready! at this point I've given up on a q1 release anyway so I honestly don't mind but please pick a side and stick with it, finish developing these ideas or cut everything that's not finished and give us what's left.

*I say great not perfect (as blizzard keep saying) because it doesn't matter if they release it today or in ten years, it won't be perfect.
Edited by Thavleifrim on 2/4/2012 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
"WHERE IS D3 DEVELOPMENT HEADED?"

The Bahamas, they are on vacation until next month, been working too hard removing stuff so they needed a break.
Reply Quote
I feel they're probably becoming victim to feature creep, where they just keep trying to tack on new features and systems and are never content with things as they are. Most of their games are constantly retuned and rebalanced and are rarely left alone without changes for a very long time. Even this long after the release of SC2, they are periodically making plans to completely remove certain units from the game (Mothership).

This seems to be a systemic problem with Blizzard games in general. I understand that they have a high standard of excellence, but sometimes enough is enough and its okay to just step back and say "we're done with this project" and move on to something new, rather than reiterating the same product over and over ad nauseam until it no longer resembles the original design philosophy.

Diablo 3's allegedly "short" beta began in September 2011, its February 2012 and we're still in beta. This is not a short beta, this is a state of feature creep and stubborn developers unwilling to let their product leave the nest.
Reply Quote
they're going to test all this new cool stuff, eventually remove it, and we'll be left with 5 characters, some runestones, and some gems to socket in our generic gear
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I feel they're probably becoming victim to feature creep, where they just keep trying to tack on new features and systems and are never content with things as they are. Most of their games are constantly retuned and rebalanced and are rarely left alone without changes for a very long time. Even this long after the release of SC2, they are periodically making plans to completely remove certain units from the game (Mothership).

This seems to be a systemic problem with Blizzard games in general. I understand that they have a high standard of excellence, but sometimes enough is enough and its okay to just step back and say "we're done with this project" and move on to something new, rather than reiterating the same product over and over ad nauseam until it no longer resembles the original design philosophy.

Diablo 3's allegedly "short" beta began in September 2011, its February 2012 and we're still in beta. This is not a short beta, this is a state of feature creep and stubborn developers unwilling to let their product leave the nest.

unless by short they meant short in content not short in duration.
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson did say that the game would release 6 months after the start of the Beta.

But it looks more like the game will be out more towards June or July... hopefully.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
Im thinking march/ april. Looking at the Beta and how many builds ahead they are of the Beta, They don't have too much to fix realistically slap the rune sys in, test it then g2g.
Reply Quote
Who cares if they removed that crap. They said the Mystic is coming back after release. Companions too, so the only thing REALLY removed is Identify scrolls. And really - did you want those THAT bad?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/04/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Dhampir
Who cares if they removed that crap. They said the Mystic is coming back after release. Companions too, so the only thing REALLY removed is Identify scrolls. And really - did you want those THAT bad?

I don't really mind that they are gone but it sits in stark opposition to the mantra of "it will come out when its ready" it seems to me more like they are rushing and throwing idea off the back of the wagon to lighten the load.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/04/2012 07:33 PMPosted by theeighthark
I don't really mind that they are gone but it sits in stark opposition to the mantra of "it will come out when its ready" it seems to me more like they are rushing and throwing idea off the back of the wagon to lighten the load.

I think that's what Blizzard originally wanted, but . . .
Someone in Blizzard's accounting department walked down the hall and told them
"Do you know it's cost you this much already to make Diablo 3 and you have no released game to show for it.
And the Diablo 3 developers then would say:
"!@#$ that's a lot of money, we'd better get off our asses and release something soon. So what a few things get pushed back till retail patches or expansion packs. But we can't keep hemorrhaging money all the time".

Well that's what the Diablo 3 developers should be saying.

well if that's what they are saying they haven't been saying it loud enough because all ive heard form them is "when its ready we want to to be as good as possible" and those words are a long way off from what they actually appear to be doing.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 03:26 PMPosted by JimDandy
they're going to test all this new cool stuff, eventually remove it, and we'll be left with 5 characters, some runestones, and some gems to socket in our generic gear

Yep
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
the way they are going we might not end farm from there but if they do decide to keep cutting things rather than finishing them i hope we at least get the game some time this quarter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]