Diablo® III

Hope for Leah?

WARNING - POSSIBLE LORE SPOILERS:
While re-reviewing Book of Cain once more, I am starting to see there might be just a faint ray of hope for Leah's survival despite the grim, short-live future that may await for her in the cruel-cruel world that is Diablo III.

Reference points: did anybody notice the post-Diablo-mortem fate of both King Leoric's sons from Book of Cain, hmm? What happen to Albrecht and Aiden?

Take those noted reference points, combine that knowledge to what you know of her [Leah's] allege father and seen Diablo's "female form," you might understand what I'm trying to allude too. This could be a painful journey for her yes, but one she might endured. (Hopefully readers can interpret my fan rambling and get the gist of it.) It speculation but I'm bewildering myself! ;)

Maybe no head scars for dear Leah...
Edited by Eroldren on 2/10/2012 4:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/10/2012 01:35 PMPosted by RedShift
I suspect she's a prime target of Diablo for posession..
Also, the new artwork & 3d models of Diablo's new physical form seem to be very "feminine" when compared to his previous looks.. Slim waist, wide hips, thin legs & arms.. Very different than before.
Yet the no Crimson Soulstone. Yes I know that been quite a long obvious fact, but the idea I trying get some lore fans to question after reading those referred Book of Cain Albrecht/Aiden topics.... without that plot device [Crimson Soulstone] to reuse again...:
  • "Could she be saved?"
  • "How would one possibly save Leah from Diablo's possession?"

• As a fan growing more more attach to Diablo lore and the vibe I'm getting from Blizzard over the past 3/4 years, I feel much been invested into developing this new character that it would be a um, *imitates Tychus Findlay voice* "Damn shame." to only see Leah perish at the initial D3 title. This notion I now got surges me with a little ray of hope for Leah's survival.

Anyway, hope someone might see what I see.
    Reply Quote
    Honestly? I don't see much hope for Leah.

In the "Black Soulstone" cinematic, Azmodan seems to be talking to someone he's familiar with, rather than some random 20-year old girl..

She's the daughter of Aiden, the warrior from the first Diablo game, who also became the "Dark Wanderer".. I suspect she's a prime target of Diablo for posession..

Also, the new artwork & 3d models of Diablo's new physical form seem to be very "feminine" when compared to his previous looks.. Slim waist, wide hips, thin legs & arms.. Very different than before.

Aiden not said to be the Dark Wanderer. He's the Eldest son of King Leoric. Diablo has many different appearance. He take the appearance to strike terror in the hearth of whom look upon him. Demon don't have sex.
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    Not entirely true i think.
    Both angels and demons have gender, not crystal clear, but they do:
    On the Angiris Council for example, we have:
    "Auriel
    A Female Archangel who is dressed in soft blue robes, she appears to embody the emotions of love and empathy, being sympathetic towards Sanctuary and its inhabitants. She is known as the Archangel of Hope, and her encouragement and bright thinking holds the Angiris Council together. " From http://www.diablowiki.com/Angiris_Council

On the counterpart, we have Lilith, female.
    She also have coupled with the Angel Inarius to give birth to the nefalem:
    "They are the direct offspring of the angels and demons" also from wiki.

How could and angel and a demon have offspring if they have no sex?

Reply Quote
    I don't know, I think it's possible, certainly. In the Book of Cain, Cain tells Leah about Aidan possibly playing a role in the defeat of Diablo in D2 simply by resisting the will of Diablo's possession and therefore aiding the heroes. That seems like a possible hint at something similar going down in Diablo 3.
    Reply Quote
    I dunno. I personally don't see Blizzard having much sympathy for any character in the Diabloverse besides Deckard, though if Leah does survive, I see her taking over for him as the storyteller for future games. But again, that's a big "if"; I have a feeling Leah's gonna get her face torn off.
    Edited by hexR on 2/19/2012 12:51 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    I bet that Deckard cain will possibly pass away soon enough, as he seems to be in bad point in the cinematic. But what i fear about this is the fact that instead of having a portable Diablo universe dictionary that Deckard was, we will have a clueless recrute that Leah seems to be,
    Reply Quote
    Errr I think its bye bye for Sanctuary if they let Leah die.

Do not forget that she is the last of the Horadrim.

If there is anyone essential that can put things back in order, it will be her.
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    She is the last of the horadrim?! WTH are u talking about?
    Deckard Cain is the last of the horadrim....
    Reply Quote

Book of Cain PAGE 6

"...Much of this you will see again, but this time with the eyes of a Horadric scholar, not the eyes of a young girl. Understand this: As of my passing, you will become the last of the Horadrim."

Reply Quote
    90 Human Mage
    I think Leah is the one whom will have to pick up the mantle of the Horadrim. I suspect Cain will perish in D3 (Actually, I'm surprised he survived D2), and Leah will be the new character whom has to fill his shoes.

But Blizzard has given her a great deal of potential backstory and mystery to unravel and add depth to plot. I doubt she'll die, and I doubt she'll become possessed. Even with Diablo's spirit inhabiting Aiden during the time of Lean's conception, this doesn't entirely mean much. All humans are technically the off-spring of Angels and Demons anyways. I think her unique heritage and connection to Diablo simply means she is more sensitive to the divine and demonic forces at work within and around Sanctuary, thus explaining many of her prophetic visions.

As for Azmodan addressing Leah as someone he knows... Well, Leah is the last of the Horadrim. The Black Soulstone which was alchemically created by a member of the Horadrim and subsequently hidden by them, is what Azmodan wants. He isn't addressing her as a random 20 year old girl; he's addressing her as the last of the Horadric Order which stands between him and claiming the soulstone that reputedly could capture the essence of any Demon or even Angel.

I fully expect Leah to survive, and her responsibilities as a Horadrim to be at the forefront of the story.

Deckard Cain on the other hand, I suspect we will see a tearful departure for our favored historian, and the passing of the torch to Leah.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Mage

He was the last, but then Leah was taken under his wing after the events of D2.

Keep in mind, the Horadrim aren't based on bloodlines. They're an Order; And Leah has been raised by Deckard Cain to be his successor in those responsibilities.
    Reply Quote
    But Blizzard has given her a great deal of potential backstory and mystery to unravel and add depth to plot. I doubt she'll die, and I doubt she'll become possessed. Even with Diablo's spirit inhabiting Aiden during the time of Lean's conception, this doesn't entirely mean much. All humans are technically the off-spring of Angels and Demons anyways. I think her unique heritage and connection to Diablo simply means she is more sensitive to the divine and demonic forces at work within and around Sanctuary, thus explaining many of her prophetic visions.
    True the demonic/angelic ancestry of humanity a link does while remain, thousands of years separate themselves from their nephalem ancestors (and their own demon/angel parents). Humans are crude shades of the nephalems, far from their direct birthright.

Diablo was however a invading demon spirit lurking within a human host [Aiden] when the allege deed with Adria occured "behind closed doors." Not your average coupling...

As for Azmodan addressing Leah as someone he knows... Well, Leah is the last of the Horadrim. The Black Soulstone which was alchemically created by a member of the Horadrim and subsequently hidden by them, is what Azmodan wants. He isn't addressing her as a random 20 year old girl; he's addressing her as the last of the Horadric Order which stands between him and claiming the soulstone that reputedly could capture the essence of any Demon or even Angel.
    While I would agree with the idea Azmodan is acknowledge Leah at least being affiliated with the Horadrim as they did indeed fact imprison the Prime Evils, the word usage of "One by one our brethren fell into your trap." is still questionable.
    Reply Quote
    "One by one our brethren fell into your trap." is still questionable.

True it can have a double meaning. "Our" here can have both meaning depending if the TRAP was set by Leah as part of Diablo or as part of the Horadrim.

the "Brethren" may actually be the Prime Evils...all were trapped and hunted right?

Take note that in Book of Cain even though all the devils are fighting each other it became clear that Azmodan was actually after the Black Soulstone, not necessarily revenge on Diablo.

For me I am still more on the side that Azmodan is talking to Leah as a member of the Horadrim.
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Warrior
    OMG i can't wait to see what will really happens!
    Reply Quote
    85 Blood Elf Paladin
    02/23/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Lõri

This makes so much sense... Perhaps he thinks all of the Horadrim are "aware" of the Black Soulstone... Assuming that its our "weapon" against Evil...

When in fact, it was a crazed horadrim who created it without really telling anyone how to use it ? (That we know of...)

Great observation Lori.
    Reply Quote
    It's tough to talk about this stuff without referring to datamined material. I'm assuming that'd be a bannable offense.

I'm 90% confident Leah won't die or turn into Diablo in vanilla D3. For one thing we just met her. She's the last of the Horadrim and a major character going forward. As the Book of Cain says Cain sees her standing between light and darkness. Since Diablo is probably her father my guess is she'll end up being a powerful half-human/half-demoness. Maybe Diablo expects to use her but he can ask Mephisto how that works out (re: Lilith). Maybe it'll seem like she's turning evil as her powers manifest but she'll help the heroes defeat Diablo somehow.

Or Blizz could just go down the well worn StarCraft/Warcraft route and use their favorite plot device of turning a good woman to the badguys, usurping power from the old guard. So Leah could be the Kerrigan of Hell after she helps us defeat Azmodan and Diablo. With all the lords of hells banished there'd be no one to stop her, being a daughter of a prime and all. Unless Lilith/Lucion make an appearance. Could be a fun three-way civil war, although most demons probably view Lilith as a traitor. All three would presumably be the most powerful demons left though.
    Edited by marshmallow on 3/2/2012 3:12 PM PST
    Reply Quote

As a fan growing more more attach to Diablo lore and the vibe I'm getting from Blizzard over the past 3/4 years, I feel much been invested into developing this new character that it would be a um, *imitates Tychus Findlay voice* "Damn shame." to only see Leah perish at the initial D3 title. This notion I now got surges me with a little ray of hope for Leah's survival.

Anyway, hope someone might see what I see.
    Funny you should use Tychus Findlay. That dude has 2 books and a full game centered around him, along with a fanbase, yet he still died at the end of the initial Starcraft 2 title.

I personally want Leah to survive, she has a rich history with ties to both royalty and the Horadrim, meaning if the lore was to be expanded it'd be through her. Unfortunately I don't expect much from Blizzard on this one
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]