Diablo® III

Never played D1-2, question about difficulty

So I got the beta yesterday, I think the game is great but since I don't have any experience with D1 or D2 I just want to get an idea of what the harder difficulties will be like. The normal mode is honestly boring after the first play through. I want a game where one mess up could cause a death you know.

Also when the difficulty ramps up is it going to be just more damage and numbers of mobs, or will the mob's scripts become more complex?

Please those of you who are like me and want a real challenge, share you experience with d2 and what you think d3 upper difficulties will be like.
Reply Quote
The game does get a lot tougher on harder difficulties. Normal mode will probably be fairly easy the whole way through
Reply Quote
D2 even at it's hardest was never really hard. The game is designed so you can solo pretty much everything.

Only a complete noob struggled with it.

I like how this is so loaded no one can really respond to it.

D2 WAS difficult once you got to the hell difficulty the first time you got there. Once you have played through the game entirely and get your hands on some endgame gear even hell is not too difficult. Will the implementation of the fourth difficulty I fully expect that the hardest bosses on inferno will be next to impossible without the best of the best gear
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
they need to buff the damage of the mobs theres no thret of dying even on the first play through they just take longer to kill
Reply Quote
so hell was the highest lvl in D2 and inferno in d3 should be harder?
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 12:56 PMPosted by D3BETA
so hell was the highest lvl in D2 and inferno in d3 should be harder?

Yes, inferno will be harder. Your characters max out at level 60. But in inferno, the monsters are at least level 61. And don't forget that the monsters get stronger or weaker as people join and leave your game.

It was previously stated that you'll need to play Hell a couple times through to get your character to level 60 so that you can begin inferno.
Reply Quote
Normal mode in diablo 2 was fairly easy. Nightmare was slightly harder but it wasn't that bad. Hell was hard if you had a crappy character build or without gear. Once you got all your gear and the right build, Hell was pretty easy.
Reply Quote
Difficulty will ramp up. IT will also be a lot harder then Diablo 2. I see many people saying d2 was easy, but it's different now, you don't have a instant town portal, unlimited potions with no cooldown to save your butt.

It will be much harder.

and if you want to be truly challenged, you'll play hardcore mode. Meaning you die once, it's over ;) you lose everything.
Reply Quote
Mob scripts likely won't change. In Diablo the mobs basically just run at you and you try to kill them before they get to you.

In D2, the ways the game got harder in higher modes:

- Negative resists. Starting a game on a higher difficulty applied resist penalties to you, so you would take more damage from most magic attacks.

- EXP penalties. When dying on normal you only lost gold. When dying on Nightmare/Hell, you also lost some exp (more on Hell)

- Immunes. This is the big difference.

On Normal, there are no Immune monsters, only "enchanted" monsters that somewhat resist an element. On Nightmare, monsters exist that are immune to lightning/cold/fire/physical, requiring that you have a dual element build or a backup magic attack to your physical arsenal (or just a good merc). On Hell, immunes are much more common and often have two immunities.

- HP, level, damage etc. Monsters have higher stats and more damaging attacks in general.
Edited by Miraa on 2/3/2012 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
People can not make a comment on game difficulty just from playing the BETA. I see these posts too often that the game is too easy. BETA isnt designed to be fun to play or even difficult unless Blizz is testing the damage scales. What you play in BETA is basicly the tutorial that teaches you the ropes and has no difficulty. Now with that said .... normal mode will probably be very easy for people, nightmare will prolly pose challenges for the less competant gamers, hell casual gamers will start experiencing problems, inferno only those who truely enjoy the game and are competant should be hanging around, and then for all those hardcore gamers there is the hardcore mode where one mistake could cost you your single life and wipe all your work away.

Now like everyone else this is all speculation and educated guessing from playing D1 and D2. Some will say even in D1 and D2 it wasnt difficult which is true as far as competant gamers go, but with the replaying of the same game at higher difficulties the lesser gamers will get bored with it and not find it worth sticking around for the grind. Also MOST (not all since I know alot of guys and girls played hardcore in D1 and D2) of the people who said D1 and D2 were easy didnt play hardcore. I played Hardcore on a few characters but only for D2 when i had better internet so I didnt have to worry about dying to a DC.

The diablo series offers something most games don't and that is a difficulty for any type of gamer. The best of the best will be in hardcore which is completely seperate from the softcore modes that casual gamers will play. Some will ask what the advantage of playing hardcore mode is since when you die you lose everything and the answer is knowing that you can or cant hang with the big boys and girls. I only recommend Hardcore if you have a lag free system and reliable internet though cause dying to lag and/or DC is a !@#$%.
Reply Quote
Play HC? I didn't think so. Everyone dies sometime in HC. If you weren't legitimately killed by mobs, there were always bad tps (where a player would draw a ton of mobs), hydra pks, exploding stygian dolls, Nihlathak casting CE, general hostiling, and the worst offender of all...LAG. If that's not enough of a challenge, you could always find people willing to duel. Anyone that claims D2 was easy is either trolling or just a huge nancy too afraid to play HC.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
D2 even at it's hardest was never really hard. The game is designed so you can solo pretty much everything.

!?!

What game were you playing? Everything was immune to something or two things.
Diablo in Hell got Hard, real hard.
If you didnt have the right class or played with friends who knew what they were doing, there was no way you could solo anything.
Reply Quote
I remember a lot of one hit kills in d2 if you character wasn't setup right.
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Ornela
they need to buff the damage of the mobs theres no thret of dying even on the first play through they just take longer to kill

Ahem...

02/03/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Meridian
Normal mode will probably be fairly easy the whole way through
Reply Quote

I disagree with this completely. While D2 was not always difficult in Hell neither could you just trash everything without any thought, even some of the mini-bosses could easily kill you if you weren't careful about positioning or didn't have the right gear setup.

OP: I suggest if you want to play through the game in a meaningful challenging way that you do it on a hardcore character, although dying with a hardcore character sucks and will happen you can be proud of every character that you have because they haven't ever died.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]