Diablo® III

Computer Specs

90 Troll Druid
Hello,

I need an advice from someone who knows computers. I recently got into beta, and my computer runs the game fine, to a certain point.

I can run it maxed out almost without any lag. But when there is an animation, or when I'm playing with more then 2 players at the same time, I get really bad lag spikes and it is really annoying. I have been waiting a long time for the game like you guys and I really don't wanna lag for this game. Here is my computer specs.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
Ram: 2.00 GB
System: Windows Vista / 32 bit.
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

I want to be able to max out the game without any kind of lag. The thing is I know I'll need to upgrade my computer (WITH THE MOST MINIMAL COST) for it to run the game perfectly smoothly. What I want to know is do you guys think I should upgrade my RAM, video card, processor? Basically which one, or all? If it's all, I might as well buy a new computer. Keep in mind that I want it to be not at high cost.

PS. If it is the RAM, I know it is pretty cheap.

Thanks!
Edited by Dixpointun on 2/3/2012 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you update RAM, the most you can use is 4GB in total including video RAM since you are using 32-bit Windows.

All 4 components are outdated by 3-4 years at most so I would suggest a new comp.
Edited by Hypersonic on 2/3/2012 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your PC is ancient, your CPU is based on architecture that was released in 2006. Build a new pc.
Reply Quote
i got a high spec rig and i get lag spike too this is a beta build so i don't really care about if i leg or not, and might want to lower your sound to 16 channels in the options that helps allot
Reply Quote
I can run it maxed out almost without any lag.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
Ram: 2.00 GB
System: Windows Vista / 32 bit.
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

No matter how much I want to believe this statement, I cant. I have a 2.4 ghz i7 that overclocks to about 3.2. Diablo 3 makes my fan turn on lightly on one of the best cpus on the market. No idea how your comp from 10 years ago can run this on high.

Your comp is not meant to come close to high settings. That is the root of your problems. I have a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo and it has trouble running med.

Pentium is from like 10 years ago+
Edited by FannyBandit on 2/3/2012 7:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Damn :(

I feared that I would have to build a new computer.

The thing is guys, that I don't see why I should since I only get lag spikes when I'm playing with others. So couldn't I just upgrade 1 or 2 of the components?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
02/03/2012 07:40 PMPosted by FannyBandit
No matter how much I want to believe this statement, I cant. I have a 2.4 ghz i7 that overclocks to about 3.2. Diablo 3 makes my fan turn on lightly on one of the best cpus on the market. No idea how your comp from 10 years ago can run this on high.

I do get some lag, but it is mostly when I play with other people. All the animations seems too much to handle for my computer. When I play alone tho, everything is fine. My video card isn't great but it is not trash.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It would be cool if I could actually show you the lag I am talking about.
That way, someone could tell me yes/no you really need a new computer, or you can just upgrade this and this, you know?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
vista 32 is epic fail :P! and u got 2g's of ram <__> It takes mad resources to run vista soooo if u wanna be cheap, get xp 64 and max ram.

But.... 2 gigs of ram is baaaadddddd
Vista 32 is baaadddd.

Replace these 2 items and you'll stay afloat.

Build a new computer you'll be walking on water.
Reply Quote
Damn :(

I feared that I would have to build a new computer.

The thing is guys, that I don't see why I should since I only get lag spikes when I'm playing with others. So couldn't I just upgrade 1 or 2 of the components?

You need a cpu/motherboard, gpu, and ram upgrade. You don't need all 3, but if you don't upgrade all 3 or 2 out of the 3, it is kind of senseless to just do 1. Would you build a bike with an ancient pair of brakes or ancient tires? It just limits the performance and won't work well in the long run.

I am sure you can budget to around $300-400, depending where you order from. You won't be getting an amazing processor or gpu, but it will be manageable. Also, vista sucks. It is a known fact haha.
Edited by FannyBandit on 2/3/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You need a cpu/motherboard, gpu, and ram upgrade. You don't need all 3, but if you don't upgrade all 3 or 2 out of the 3, it is kind of senseless to just do 1. Would you build a bike with an ancient pair of brakes or ancient tires? It just limits the performance and won't work well in the long run.

I am sure you can budget to around $300-400, depending where you order from. You won't be getting an amazing processor or gpu, but it will be manageable. Also, vista sucks. It is a known fact haha.

Yeah... Well, I knew Vista sucks lol! And thanks for the tips I will keep it in mind.

The thing is the only game i'm gonna be playing for a whiiiile now is Diablo III. I don't see why I should build a whole new computer for this only game, especially if it runs almost fine already.

But I think I will have no choice. If I am to spend 300-400$, I might as well get a new computer and invest a little more to get a really good one.

Thanks!
Reply Quote

Yeah... Well, I knew Vista sucks lol! And thanks for the tips I will keep it in mind.

The thing is the only game i'm gonna be playing for a whiiiile now is Diablo III. I don't see why I should build a whole new computer for this only game, especially if it runs almost fine already.

But I think I will have no choice. If I am to spend 300-400$, I might as well get a new computer and invest a little more to get a really good one.

Thanks!

Thats what I did. I got a really nice laptop recently, so I can lounge and stuff. I just jack it into my 1080p screen then put all my attachments on it when I don't feel like using my desktop.

Its really worth it and a huge improvement.
Edited by FannyBandit on 2/3/2012 7:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dear god...build a new computer...

Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think I will wait for the release date before buying tho.
The technology has the time to advance from now to then LOL!
Reply Quote
Your video card is old, but should be sufficient... but your CPU and 2GB Ram is horrible... yeah, i advice to buy a new PC, if you want to cheap out, you can use your current videocard with the new PC and see how that works out for you...
Reply Quote
Wait till you try the retail version out and see how that runs. Don't go off buying anything until you absolutely have to, that is unless you want to. But since you're already able to play it and even at decent settings and speeds I'd suggest waiting.

Your system might be old, but so are the system requirements which are based pretty much around technology no newer than 2006.

Edit: But do yourself a favor an buy 2G of ram...It's 2012 for pete's sake. 4 gig min at all times.
Edited by StormTrooper on 2/3/2012 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Wait till you try the retail version out and see how that runs. Don't go off buying anything until you absolutely have to, that is unless you want to. But since you're already able to play it and even at decent settings and speeds I'd suggest waiting.

Your system might be old, but so are the system requirements which are based pretty much around technology no newer than 2006.

Edit: But do yourself a favor an buy 2G of ram...It's 2012 for pete's sake. 4 gig min at all times.

I understand. I am currently thinking about waiting before buying anything, really.

The point of my post is this one: Since I am not lagging horribly and only when playing with others, I don't wanna buy a whole new computer since THE ONLY GAME i'm gonna be playing is diablo III. So, I am thinking upgrade only one thing or two cause do the trick.

Something I am thinking of doing is buying a new video card... Mine is 512mb of video memory. I am pretty sure with one of 1.0gb of memory or even a 1.5gb of video memory, the game would run smoothly with people in the game.

Again, a new computer would be nice tho but I don't know if I can afford it...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/03/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Dixpointun
Something I am thinking of doing is buying a new video card... Mine is 512mb of video memory. I am pretty sure with one of 1.0gb of memory or even a 1.5gb of video memory, the game would run smoothly with people in the game.

Not if it's your CPU or RAM that's causing the problem, though. You would be wasting money. Which is what people are more or less saying when they suggest doing several upgrades together or buying something new. Different games and programs hit different bottlenecks. When I encode video, my RAM is the bottleneck. When I play WoW, my CPU is the bottleneck. When I play Skyrim at high settings, my video card is the bottleneck (usually).

But if you'd like a nice starting point for possible from-scratch building on a wide array of budgets, check this out:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/986175-Marest-s-Sample-Builds
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Not if it's your CPU or RAM that's causing the problem, though. You would be wasting money. Which is what people are more or less saying when they suggest doing several upgrades together or buying something new. Different games and programs hit different bottlenecks. When I encode video, my RAM is the bottleneck. When I play WoW, my CPU is the bottleneck. When I play Skyrim at high settings, my video card is the bottleneck (usually).

But if you'd like a nice starting point for possible from-scratch building on a wide array of budgets, check this out:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/986175-Marest-s-Sample-Builds

Thanks.
This is exactly what I would really wanna know. Which is really causing problem? In my opinion it is the RAM and CPU. If I had a way of showing you guys the lag I get, maybe that would be easier for you to help me.

I don't wanna buy a new computer :( QQ
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]