Basically two main things are considered when rolling an item. One is the item level, which in diablo 2 it was hidden, but it was based off the level of the monster that dropped it. The other factor is your character level.
Character level does the following:
1) Sets which possible random stats are available. For example, at level 94 you had all the possible stats in your pool of what the random stat could be.
2) Sets the chance of how many stats you are getting. I.E., if a rare item like a ring for example can have 1-4 random stats, a low level (hypothetically) you have a 40% chance of 1 stat, 30% chance of 2 stats, 20% chance of 3 stats, 10% chance of 4 stats. Again, hypothetically, at level 99 you may have the opposite, 40% chance of 4 stats, 30% chance of 3 stats, 20% chance of 2 stats, 10% chance of 1 stats. The point here is that higher character level increases chance at getting the higher value in the range of total random stats. The down side is that having all the available stats at level 94 statistically you have a less chance of hitting a specific stat because there are more total stats available.
Monster level does the following:
1) Defines how many random stats are possible
2) defines what set prefixes/suffixes are available, as the set stats in addition to the random stats
3) Generally defines the level required to wear the item. I.E. an item dropped by a higher level monster will have a higher level required to equip.
Item level for blues is not as significant in D3 since there is no crafting in the sense it was done in Diablo 2, however (there is no official announcement on this yet) in my opinion it's possible that the item level of the blues will increase the chance of it giving a rare material instead of blue. I could be wrong, only time will tell. As of now there is a flat 1% chance that when you salvage an item you can get the material from one quality level up (i.e. blue can give a rare material, rare can give legendary).
I hope you found this guide useful
For other explanations, guides, walkthroughs, downloads, videos, and discussions visit www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com
One lucky member, randomly chosen, will receive a B.net Bucks price to kick-start their RMAH experience in the first few days after the game is released. Sign up today.
Dark Revolution Gaming