Diablo® III

Random Stats Explained

As there are no changes announced by blizzard, (and so far seems to be the same in beta) this will be based off the way it was in D2 until told otherwise by Blizz staff.

Basically two main things are considered when rolling an item. One is the item level, which in diablo 2 it was hidden, but it was based off the level of the monster that dropped it. The other factor is your character level.

Character level does the following:

1) Sets which possible random stats are available. For example, at level 94 you had all the possible stats in your pool of what the random stat could be.

2) Sets the chance of how many stats you are getting. I.E., if a rare item like a ring for example can have 1-4 random stats, a low level (hypothetically) you have a 40% chance of 1 stat, 30% chance of 2 stats, 20% chance of 3 stats, 10% chance of 4 stats. Again, hypothetically, at level 99 you may have the opposite, 40% chance of 4 stats, 30% chance of 3 stats, 20% chance of 2 stats, 10% chance of 1 stats. The point here is that higher character level increases chance at getting the higher value in the range of total random stats. The down side is that having all the available stats at level 94 statistically you have a less chance of hitting a specific stat because there are more total stats available.

Monster level does the following:

1) Defines how many random stats are possible

2) defines what set prefixes/suffixes are available, as the set stats in addition to the random stats

3) Generally defines the level required to wear the item. I.E. an item dropped by a higher level monster will have a higher level required to equip.

Item level for blues is not as significant in D3 since there is no crafting in the sense it was done in Diablo 2, however (there is no official announcement on this yet) in my opinion it's possible that the item level of the blues will increase the chance of it giving a rare material instead of blue. I could be wrong, only time will tell. As of now there is a flat 1% chance that when you salvage an item you can get the material from one quality level up (i.e. blue can give a rare material, rare can give legendary).

I hope you found this guide useful

For other explanations, guides, walkthroughs, downloads, videos, and discussions visit www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com

One lucky member, randomly chosen, will receive a B.net Bucks price to kick-start their RMAH experience in the first few days after the game is released. Sign up today.

-Sabin
Dark Revolution Gaming
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Um, I don't think 99 is the level cap for d3.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 04:02 PMPosted by D3BETA
Um, I don't think 99 is the level cap for d3.

Neither do I. Did you read the post? That was a diablo 2 example.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Doesn't even have D2 item generation correct, just a post on some basics with terminology wrong

worse than no info is wrong info; a little knowledge is more dangerous.
Reply Quote
Doesn't even have D2 item generation correct, just a post on some basics with terminology wrong

worse than no info is wrong info; a little knowledge is more dangerous.

Worse than a wrong statement, is saying something is wrong or broken without offering a solution, or even an explanation to what you think is wrong, with your circular logic.

Let's hear it genius, what about D2 item generation do I not have correct, and how do you possibly get terminology wrong out of that post? There should be an age requirement for the forums.
Reply Quote
lets see, (this is korba)
i'm a bit rusty but...

clvl (character level) only mattered when crafting in d2...the ilvl formula is
INT(.5clvl ) + INT(.5 initial ilvl) = final ilvl

for vessels dropping item . in d2 patch 1.10 levels got adjusted by an "area_levels"
all vessels are adjusted to that area, with champion getting +2 and unique getting +3
the TC picked after a no drop fails than decides what item type falls
the MF is then checked with its Diminishing return to set quality
the Monster level is then checked against the items qlvl to make sure it can drop it.

if it can't if the item was set, it fails and becomes a magical with 200% durability
if it can't be the unique it fails, and becomes a rare with 300% durability

for the mods
the alvl is decided by the following formula

If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}
if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl} ;** see note below
if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=ilvl+magic_lvl}
else
{
if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}
}
If (alvl>99) then {alvl=99}

here is a monument of reading for you....
http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Item_Generation_Tutorial

so now what is worse than just ignorance mixed with an ability to be aware of it, is obtuse arrogance as a defense without ever having positive evidence. It really isn't my job to defend my critisism of you because first/foremost in fact you have the burden of proof to come to us with evidence, data, and references.
never baseless conjecture.
only a tested hypothesis with predictable results that can be repeated.

02/04/2012 05:37 PMPosted by D3BETA
There should be an age requirement for the forums.

agreed, and a course in scientific method to keep out people like you.

you ain't gonna come into MY house with those dirty shoes, spilling baddie all over the game I love.

understand?
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 6:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 02:13 PMPosted by D3BETA
As there are no changes announced by blizzard, (and so far seems to be the same in beta) this will be based off the way it was in D2 until told otherwise by Blizz staff.

This alone makes the rest of the post useless as far as Diablo 3 goes. D2 was made over ten years ago by a different set of developers. There's no reason to assume, a priori, that the underlying architecture of item generation is necessarily the same, unless you happen to have either recent Blizzard posts or rigorous test data from the beta indicating that they are.

02/04/2012 05:37 PMPosted by D3BETA
Worse than a wrong statement, is saying something is wrong or broken without offering a solution, or even an explanation to what you think is wrong, with your circular logic.

Wrong. Disproving an incorrect idea, even when you don't yet know what the correct idea is, is better than letting the incorrect idea stand and get spread around.
Reply Quote
Agreed. Diablo 2 calculations mean nothing to us now. At least admit that you have to wait for the single player "trial" to get hard evidence. Then get back to us. Thanks.
Reply Quote
If you look at the items, you'll see the max required level is 60, and thus you can assume the max level, as of this post, is 60.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]