Diablo® III

Difficulty needs to be dialed up!

I realize this is Act 1, Normal Mode, but forcing us to spend hours of game time in a zero-resistance tutorial mode seems excessive. Shouldn't I have to chug at least one potion? Furthermore, it's not really possible to properly evaluate the skills and mechanics atm, as the environment is simply too flimsy to put them through their paces. The variety and feel of the combat mechanics comes through, but it's hard to get a real (non-theoretical) sense of what works and what doesn't, and that process of experimentation and discovery is too essential to core gameplay to defer to Act 2 or later.

There needs to be a way to jump in feet first and get to the good stuff (e.g. being brought precipitously close to failure) right away, without slogging through hours upon hours of forgone conclusions.
Reply Quote
here we go with this again...
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Priest
02/04/2012 04:53 PMPosted by LoverlyPillo
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/04/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Morchok
Weird.. It only shows you have defeated king leroic in the beta... please report to blizzard that your infernal mode achvments arent showing up.
Reply Quote
complain much? geez its beta ffs
Reply Quote
You do realize that you spend "hours of game time in a zero-resistance tutorial mode" because that's all the access you have, right? You realize that when the game actually launches, you won't have to be stuck doing the same section over and over, and that most likely you'll reach the Skeleton King at level 8-9, not 13. And that after the Skeleton King dies, you continue to progress through tougher and tougher content.

The beta is easy. It's meant to be this way. Watch the youtube video about Blizzcon and Diablo 3. They explain it clearly.

Will the game get harder as the game goes? Yes.

Is Act 1 supposed to be hard, at all? No.
Reply Quote
the thing is you're not supposed to mess around in the starting area with a lv13 character; you're supposed to kill the skeleton king at lv7-8 and move on.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Trisee

But he wants the full version in beta...
Reply Quote
Remember when there was level 23 barbarians from just playing through the blood moor/cold plains for the d2 beta? Yea, I do.

They aren't giving you anything more than you've already got so deal with it.
Reply Quote
Hmm, perhaps my post came across as more negative then I had intended it to, because everyone seems very defensive. I don't quite understand where this notion that I want a full version beta comes from. I'm critiquing the difficulty with an eye towards the retail release, as I'm not particularly interested in playing through a few hours of Act 1 tutorial mode on every new character. It also begs the question of how difficult the later Acts will be if they're dialing it down to this degree for Act 1. Either there has to be a jarring leap in challenge going into Act 2, or in the interest of keeping things gradual we'll be presented with an Act 2 that is still absurdly easy in absolute terms. Why are you so vehement in defending this?

At any rate, I did fight Leoric at lvl. 8, and he was ridiculously easy (as was every floor of the cathedral), which is to say I never dropped below half health over the entire course of the beta's content. D1 and D2 had at least some modicum of challenge, even in Act 1. This is my point; it's too easy, even for the first ~10 levels.

To counterbalance this constructive criticism with some praise, let me say that the game looks amazing, I love the crafting system, and the barbarian's skills are all satisfyingly kinetic to use and varied enough to be interesting. I'd simply like to leverage them against
an actual challenge before hours of gameplay have elapsed.
Reply Quote
I realize this is Act 1, Normal Mode, but forcing us to spend hours of game time in a zero-resistance tutorial mode seems excessive. Shouldn't I have to chug at least one potion? Furthermore, it's not really possible to properly evaluate the skills and mechanics atm, as the environment is simply too flimsy to put them through their paces. The variety and feel of the combat mechanics comes through, but it's hard to get a real (non-theoretical) sense of what works and what doesn't, and that process of experimentation and discovery is too essential to core gameplay to defer to Act 2 or later.

There needs to be a way to jump in feet first and get to the good stuff (e.g. being brought precipitously close to failure) right away, without slogging through hours upon hours of forgone conclusions.

1) It's the beta, and it's act 1

2) Playing it over and over again makes you a "twink", fully geared outfor your level far beyond what you would get one run through. if you want some "resistance", run it naked.

-Sabin
www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com
Edited by D3BETA on 2/4/2012 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
I actually did see a complete and total noob upload himself playing the beta and he was actually losing - a lot.
Sorry I don't have a link to it though, I tried looking for it but don't remember the search words.
Reply Quote
It's not act 1 that's so easy, it's the first part (the part that happens to coincide with the beta content). It's Blizzard's way of getting complete newbies into the basics of the game without having a dedicated tutorial.

The difficulty curve should start ramping up past the SK and especially through act 2 as you get some meaningful customization (runestones and such). There shouldn't be "hours and hours" of effortless content.
Reply Quote
17 Undead Warlock
So when the game comes out have a friend rush a character through Normal for you, and then start playing on Nightmare?

Or just don't wear any gear and limit what spells you'll use?

Or just shut the !@#$ up and deal with it?
Edited by Frostmourne on 2/4/2012 5:51 PM PST
Reply Quote

2) Playing it over and over again makes you a "twink", fully geared outfor your level far beyond what you would get one run through. if you want some "resistance", run it naked.

1)Gathering feedback is a huge part of a beta, and it is too easy, even for Act 1.

2) See my last post. This is my take based on playing a new character for a few hours and taking down Leoric at ~lvl. 8.
Reply Quote
OP will complain about how hard inferno is and will request that be toned down.
Reply Quote
If the game is too easy at that point, then you don't need to spend time killing anything to gain power. So just run past it all instead. Only kill things you need to kill for the quests. Instead of taking 2 hours to get beyond SK, it'll take a half hour, and be significantly more challenging.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
I wish they would make a patch where you get 1 shotted by every mob, as a joke, then switch back to normal the next day.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin

1)Gathering feedback is a huge part of a beta, and it is too easy, even for Act 1.

thats all good and well but its only the first part of act 1. its not the full act 1 as i understand it.
Reply Quote
It's not act 1 that's so easy, it's the first part (the part that happens to coincide with the beta content). It's Blizzard's way of getting complete newbies into the basics of the game without having a dedicated tutorial.

The difficulty curve should start ramping up past the SK and especially through act 2 as you get some meaningful customization (runestones and such). There shouldn't be "hours and hours" of effortless content.

I appreciate the level headed post. You actually shed some light on the subject. I just hope that ramp up is swift and dramatic, because it really needs to be to offset the depth of the starting point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]