Diablo® III

More worried about release than excited now..

Now that Ive fully gone through the beta with different classes, my first impressions are leaving a cloud of worry over this game rather than the air of excitment I had before downloading the beta. Yes, yes this is all early game content and the 'feel' of the game could change. That doesn't stop me from thinking perhaps I was expecting too much from this game. That being said, the game does seem mostly solid and bug free, they seem fully on track in that department.

Onto the gripes!
-Warriors Battle Rage graphic effect is a terrible looking glowing star covering your character. I think Blizz has the art talent to come up with something more appealing.

-characters seem a tad big on screen when playing with 4 people. Seems clustered.

-Seperate loot almost makes it seem like you're playing alone and not going for the same goal. Wonder if the system could be improved somehow.

-gameplay seems almost too basic. Am I the only one who was expecting more with the 'clicking' Patterned clicks, holds, mouse drags, alternating button combos, etc.

-Why the same weapon animations for different weapons? I expected Blizzard to go all out in the presentation.

-as others have noted, the graphics while technically adequate, do not seem dark and moody enough still.

-how come we can't carry 2 sets of weapons this time around? (or did I miss that)

-Monks not having a set of staff animations fitting with the martial style makes me sad

But, dont get me wrong. I'm still looking forward to the release, still happy I preordered, and am looking forward to eating my words in a few months when it turns out the game is everything I was hoping it would be.

Thanks for letting me test it!
Merp

Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

-Warriors Battle Rage graphic effect is a terrible looking glowing star covering your character. I think Blizz has the art talent to come up with something more appealing.

This isnt world of warcraft!

They're called Barbarians.
Edited by Côpe on 2/4/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
the game isnt even out yet and you are already complaining. note that this is beta and lots of things can change in the future
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Côpe
This isnt world of warcraft!

Yea it is.
Reply Quote

There's a difference between constructive criticism and petulant complaining.

i am infact giving relative constructive criticism to this totally pointless post. most of the point that the op threw out there have been discussed and fought over for ages with the best possible outcome already in place. (except the art direction that is, but that has been critisized since 2008 and nothing have changed). what better word can i use to respond to this rather thoughtless post? flame him back like he did over there?
Reply Quote
So you agree then Queen. Good stuff.
Reply Quote
I'll just throw in my rant along with Merpwood.

This game doesn't feel like a Diablo game. That's what has me worried, sure it's the beta but I'm probably not going to be sticking around until release.

Like I remember playing Diablo I and running for my life in the Cathedral cause I was about to die, and there was a pker running around. I was so scared, but it was fun scared. Even in Diablo II, I haven't tried the banner system, but part of what was fun about that game was you had to port from a way point and work your way to the other player there was a sense of danger and adventure. Now it's just right click and bam you're there.

Maybe it's just me, but the game feels really watered down and predictable. Part of what made games fun was you didn't know what was going to happen when you went in a portal, or how that other player was going to act towards you. I think there's still some of that still here but for me, what made Diablo, Diablo is not there. But it's been so long, I understand.

Also part of what made Diablo I and II fun was breaking the game via the stat system. I mean hacking and stuff, I know that's frowned upon nowadays but it was pretty fun running around with broken equipment killing each other with overpowered items. Now, I'm guessing with the achievements we probably can't even hack single player without getting the battlenet account banned.

Again, it's probably been stated countless times but the art direction doesn't feel like Diablo.

All I've played is Wizard to level 9, so I could be far off. This is just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
I am saddened by how generic it all seems. I am really hoping the beta is nothing like the released game, and yes I want my own build to succeed or fail w/, w/ each level giving me more points to dump into my vision, instead of just coloring in blizzards pre-concieved notion of how my toon should be built.
At what point will blizz say "no need to click anymore, we're absolutely certain of how and when you wer going to click anyways." They might as well just call it a short animated film.
Reply Quote
02/04/2012 05:00 PMPosted by D3BETA
Am I the only one who was expecting more with the 'clicking' Patterned clicks, holds, mouse drags, alternating button combos, etc.

yes you are
Reply Quote
+1 to this, the 'clicking' feel is exactly like every other diablo, so the feel of D3 in this regard is EXACTLY what I was expecting
Reply Quote
-Seperate loot almost makes it seem like you're playing alone and not going for the same goal. Wonder if the system could be improved somehow.

I think that what they have actually is a pretty good balance. For example, a rare bow dropped on SK and it looked like a DH in my party could use it, so I traded it to him. Separate loot meant that it wasn't a matter of his latency vs. my latency regarding who picked it up, and it made sure that the witch doctor in our group didn't just grab it, for example.

This system means that you get your share of good items to sell or salvage, and if you happen to be with a group with whom you feel sympathetic, or a group of friends, those items can be shared or traded on the spot. To me, it's the best of both worlds.
Reply Quote
-characters seem a tad big on screen when playing with 4 people. Seems clustered.

Only thing I really agree with. Not that characters are too big tho. The environments are too small and it really bottlenecks at times which leads to a cramped feeling. BUT this could change in later portions of the games so this could very well be a non-issuse...
Reply Quote
Check out my post to see positive spins for excitement on the release.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4015352715
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]