Anyone remember this?

90 Human Warlock
- The Initiate -

Which way is the right path, as I stand upon
this chaotic crossroad of hate...
How many ways are there to roam
on this dark and dammed road of Fate...

"There are many ways, my son,
to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt
until at last, your soul, they will gain...
Inherit these lands, these things, these dreams
that are yours, forever, to adore...
For there is no life, in the depths of chaos, my son,
for you to explore..."
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I assume this is some Cain's discurse to Aiden on Diablo 1?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Good guess, but that is not it.

This is the prose of C. Vincent Metzen...

Its the first page of the 1997 Printing of the Diablo I book that was included with the game.

I feel that it still speaks volumes about not only where the game started, but where it's going today. There are many ways that this game could be made, but only one that would be true to the first. Sanctuary and Tristram are in good hands and I feel some players get a beta key and forget who is in charge.

I'm worried that Christopher really foreshadowed that someday outside interests would negatively impact the future games creative development. The irl forces of heaven and hell are truly in contention for the very soul of Sanctuary.

A footnote worth examination and speculation... lets take a look at my highlights of the Diablo I credit list in the Special Thanks To section, and please take a moment to ask yourself, would these people/institution or those similar make the same list on D3?

-Ray the Soda Guy
-A. Guinness Brewing Co.
-Prop 215
-RUSH
-Cornholio
-Dar
-Emeril Lagasse
-Ice-Cube
-Jag'rmeister
-The Megasphere
-Round Table Pizza
-Caffeine
-Avalon Tattoo
-Monkeys
-Dob Bole (Bob Dole?)
Reply Quote
Good guess, but that is not it.

This is the prose of C. Vincent Metzen...

I feel obligated to correct you here, this is verse, not prose. Prose is the way I am writing right now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You're correct RedLeader (great name btw).

However, my late night grammar aside, I hope that people will read something from the beginnings of Diablo. Then take a moment to reflect on what really develops the game.

My example would be that if you feel D3 is not up to your standards, call out the suits for not giving the creators what they needed to make it better. Not the men and women who create greatness from nothing while some who have never even been to Tristram profit. If you see something you think was not done right, it's more likely that their good idea was turned down to quell some suit rather than the creators not trying hard enough.

The whole reason I started this in the first place was after reading post after post of people complaining about this or that... I wanted to present a thought that my not have occurred to some people who only see whats right in front of them.

My main point being that if you apply a limit to art and creativity it becomes something less and it's not for lack of effort, but the weight of restriction...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
nice words
/agree

I dont care if the the grafics are not the maximum they could do, i just feel that this will be a piece of art cuz of teh mix of creativity, beauty, horror, playability, story and continosity from the latter games of diablo.

We shall enjey it preety much even if it doesnt seem to be as we desire right now.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
To be followed by this passage in Diablo II's Manual:

THE ADEPT (INITIATE, PART II)

“I have walked the paths; the shadowed roads
that led to terror’s breast. I have plumbed the depths of
Hatred’s womb and scaled Destruction’s crest.

For every secret left unveiled, for every power learned,
I’d sell the remnants of my soul, regardless how it burned.
And still I sought a higher wisdom few could have attained.
‘Though I found it, it would leave me - broken, damned and drained.

For now I find this power gained is more unto a curse.
My spirit burns with every spell and each irreverent verse.
Despite this strength and knowledge earned, I have paid a heavy toll,
Never should’ve traded power for my own immortal soul.”
– C. Vincent Metzen
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thanks Oak. That was excellent of you to add the next poem of the series!

So the question remains, are events in the real world foreshadowed in these poems or are they strictly in game concepts?

To me there is no question that they are not just about the game play itself, but more a reflection of creation and present/past/future events outside of the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]