Diablo® III

My (semi) non-gamer GF thought it was to easy

...and quit due to boredom. I tried to explain to her that it was simply due to the beta being the beginning of the game, and the difficulty would ramp up, to which she replied "How would I find that out if I had already quit?"

Just thought this might be an interesting point to consider. The ease of the early game is obviously being catered towards non-gamers/casual players unfamiliar with the genre, but perhaps the excessive ease isn't creating the "rewarding" feeling that it should, even for new players.

(by semi non gamer, i mean that she plays angry birds and VERY VERY casually at one point leveled to 30 in WoW.)
Edited by D3BETA on 2/3/2012 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Set her up on hardcore inferno once the game comes out. Then rage at her when she dies thirty seconds later.
"How do I get back to the game?"
"YOU CAN'T GET BACK. IT'S OVER. YOU DIED. YOU HAVE TO START AT THE BEGINNING AGAIN."
"Stop yelling. You mean like mario?"
"YES JUST LIKE MARIO EXCEPT WITHOUT THE WARP ZONES"
Edited by Static on 2/3/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
hahah, well, honestly, I'm kind of just talking about the early early game difficulty. I'm sure inferno will be plenty difficult.
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 02:36 PMPosted by D3BETA
...and quit due to boredom. I tried to explain to her that it was simply due to the beta being the beginning of the game, and the difficulty would ramp up, to which she replied "How would I find that out if I had already quit?"

#Logic
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 02:40 PMPosted by D3BETA
hahah, well, honestly, I'm kind of just talking about the early early game difficulty. I'm sure inferno will be plenty difficult.
I know, I was just figuring as a way to hook her. But you're right. She's right. I think they're relying on the smooth play experience and the introduction to the mechanics and the story to hold your attention for the first couple hours until difficulty kicks in.

It is a fine balance they have to strike, between being easy enough for a totally novice gamer to be able to learn the game mechanics, and not feel especially threatened, and still being engaging enough to allow the non-diablo junky to not get immediately turned off.

Here's a fun challenge you can give her in the mean time. If she's having such an easy time doing it, maybe she should try doing beta on a demon hunter or other ranged class without killing any non necessary monsters. Play is a lot faster and SK is an unstoppable beast. The entire thing takes about a half hour.
Edited by Static on 2/3/2012 2:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Set her up on hardcore inferno once the game comes out. Then rage at her when she dies thirty seconds later.
"How do I get back to the game?"
"YOU CAN'T GET BACK. IT'S OVER. YOU DIED. YOU HAVE TO START AT THE BEGINNING AGAIN."
"Stop yelling. You mean like mario?"
"YES JUST LIKE MARIO EXCEPT WITHOUT THE WARP ZONES"

I now have splattered milk on my screen, the warp zones got me. Thank you very much.
Reply Quote
It's better that she quits since it'll open up her schedule to provide you with diet coke and sandwiches during your gaming marathons.
Reply Quote
BETA
IS
BETA
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 02:45 PMPosted by RoRo
What did you expect blizzard is trying to appeal to casuals. I won't be surprised if hardcore is made easier

Hardcore isn't a difficulty, it's a game mode.
Reply Quote
BETA
IS
BETA
The difficulty of the portion of the game that beta showcases is unlikely to drastically change before launch.
Edited by Static on 2/3/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
In all honesty, when I first got the beta I felt it was a little bit boring up until after you finish the first Leah quest (Hidden cellar > Cathedral). But then again, I did watch a few streams.
Reply Quote
Set her up on diablo 2. See how far she gets before shes bored...oh wait its the same. While shes not playing d3 Ill very happily be playing!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
you guys dont understand what he is getting at...... fail on everyone....
Reply Quote
shes right...us old timers who played d1 d2 and all that more then we want to admit will play it because of nostalgia but after playing a wiz first time around i was like...really? i get something as badass as frozen orb at THIS level?! ok fine its cool i must be a total glass canon i better avoid all dmg...
then realise i can tank the whole map with crap gear and no armor spells or anything...all day and never use a single potion?
iunno fluid gameplay is good. but some introduction to playstyle is important too? Ranged characters and spell casters should start out with a glass canon feel to them IMO.

Reply Quote
02/03/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Treehitta
you guys dont understand what he is getting at...... fail on everyone....
I understand perfectly. His girlfriend is not a prolific gamer, and yet, the early portion of the game was easy enough that she was turned off due to a lack of difficulty. Whether or not the game gets harder later is irrelevant. A new gamer, especially a gamer who has no prior affection for or loyalty to the Diablo or Blizzard names, must find the game initially engaging enough to continue playing, or else they will be turned off within the first half hour. That the game gets harder doesn't matter, because they'll never find out. I don't disagree that it's an issue, I'm just not sure how they'd go about fixing it without jeopardizing their attempt to bring the truly novice gamer in to the Diablo fold in a nonthreatening way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]