Diablo® III

(Not Upset), But Why Such A Long Development?

20 Night Elf Rogue
As the title says, I'm not making this post out of rage, nor am I upset at all. Diablo 3 could take another year to release, I would be fine, as long as it's ready when it comes out.

That being said, I'm actually really curious why this game has had such a long development time? The wikipedia article says that initial development started in 2001. Granted, there may not have been much happening then, however, there is plenty of footage from 2008 of what appears to be a fully functional Diablo 3 (monsters, spells, etc. all look the same as the beta currently does)

So, it's just really bugging my curiousity, what's happened in the past 3-4 years? Diablo 3 seems to be taking the same amount of development time as a MMO game does, yet mechanically speaking I haven't seen that it's that much of a huge step over previous diablo titles (obviously there are huge improvements, like for example the physics in-game, but I haven't seen anything that warrants 3-4 years past a fully functional demo).

Just wondering =) and again, I'm honestly not upset at all, just really curious about what Blizz is up to!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The big one was basically a complete restart on the nuts and bolts part of the game in 2006. With the exception of perhaps some story, concepts, and art, basically none of the 2001-2005 work is reflected at all in the current build.

I'm guessing tuning the absurd number of skill/rune combos while having to account for a mostly-randomized game isn't a fast process. Integrating it into B.net 2.0 and all of the RMAH functionality also probably is a major programming headache that doesn't make the game look or play differently from our perspective, but still takes a lot of time.
Reply Quote
I was just thinking of the financial complications and headaches that the RMAH might introduce. That alone is a daunting amount of work to try and include in the game. That's developing a banking system and tracking purchases, preventing laundering, etc. Many big banks have been working on just these systems alone for years, and this is just a small aspect of this game. I give them credit for even trying
Edited by Norcalguy on 2/4/2012 11:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]