Diablo® III

Wizards Need an Extra Hotkey

I posted this earlier in the evening in the main Beta Feedback forum but it quickly got buried under endless threads, most of which read "My Review of the Beta." I figured I would re-post it here since it has to do specifically with the Wizard class and hopefully it will hang around long enough that perhaps Blizzard will notice and give an answer as to whether or not they are aware of this issue and intend to fix it, or if it is working as intended (I hate those words).

"Excuse me if this has been posted before but I've never seen a topic regarding this and feel if it hasn't been brought up it needs to be. It seems so obvious as to almost be absurd, but since a fix hasn't been implemented yet I feel this bears addressing.

Simply put, there needs to be another hotkey button added to bring the total available hotkeys (excluding the dedicated potion hotkeys, including L and R mouse buttons) to seven. Why? The Wizard passive skill "Virtuoso." If you take this passive skill (which I was hoping to) you will need one of your mouse buttons for your REGULAR wand attack PLUS six other hotkeys for your slot-able skills. Removing the potion from a hotkey is potentially suicidal when the game difficulty ramps up so another assignable hotkey is the only option. Perhaps, in order to avoid making other classes angry at having a blank spare hotkey, it could be a UI option (enable extra hotkey?).

Hopefully this has already been addressed or will be addressed after this post. I appreciate very much any feedback or assurance that this quirk has not gone unnoticed."

Someone in the original thread suggested that the "hidden" cost of running with Virtuoso was not being able to hotkey every skill you have slotted. I don't think that is the case, rather I think this was probably oversight as no class really has use for their basic attack after a few levels. The Wizard is (as far as I can tell) the only class that, through a passive skill, would have a use for their basic attack.
Edited by Khedius on 2/7/2012 10:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I did think about this when I realized that Virtuoso would make the wand attack for a wizard a viable option.

But after giving it a little more thought it will only be usefull when you are out of AP, but when you are out of AP and click a skill it should auto cast the wands basic attack which would be doubled and generate AP.

I do agree though that we should be able to have it available through a hotkey< but I also think that when it is needed it will be there with or without a hotkey.
Edited by MADDOG on 2/8/2012 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
There are 7 hot-keys to skill i Diablo 3, the 7th just isn't available in the beta, but Bashiok has stated that an alternative right mouse button function exists and can be altered as the others..
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Yes, TAB is supposed to toggle between 2 different skills on your right mouse button.
Reply Quote
Also, any Demon Hunter going with the Fundamentals passive will have the same issue.
Reply Quote
I was thinking about this myself, but for a different purpose: a melee Wizard. I think it's unfair that if one chooses to use basic attack to conserve energy (IE, in the case of the Wizard it's Arcane Power) or even as a play style, then they must take up a skill slot for it.

It's not even a skill, it's a default action much like being able to interact with objects in the environment. As such, I feel basic attack should be its own entity/command under Key Bindings to be bound to whatever key the player deems appropriate. It shouldn't even take up a slot on the hotbar, IMO.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I was thinking about this myself, but for a different purpose: a melee Wizard. I think it's unfair that if one chooses to use basic attack to conserve energy (IE, in the case of the Wizard it's Arcane Power) or even as a play style, then they must take up a skill slot for it.

Nice thread necro.

Also what you're saying makes no sense. Outside of RP reasons, there's no valid reason to use your basic attack. Signature spells are FREE, or even better than free, if you rune them right, they REGENERATE AP FOR YOU. So your conservation position is invalid.

If you want to make a 'melee wizard' use Spectral Blade as your main attack, and a bunch of short/melee distance AoE arcane power spenders.
Reply Quote
@Madav
Virtuoso was removed quite a few patches ago. I don't think my trademark hashtag has ever been more appropriate:

#wastedbeta
Edited by blitzkrieg on 3/21/2012 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Nice thread necro.

Also what you're saying makes no sense. Outside of RP reasons, there's no valid reason to use your basic attack. Signature spells are FREE, or even better than free, if you rune them right, they REGENERATE AP FOR YOU. So your conservation position is invalid.

If you want to make a 'melee wizard' use Spectral Blade as your main attack, and a bunch of short/melee distance AoE arcane power spenders.

Going to guess by the one you are stating as free is ray of frost and it has been stated time and time again that is a tool tip bug and it is infact not free if you rune it with cold blood but instead lowers the AP cost to 12. As for the topic of this thread you'll be able to press TAB to switch between two skills set to the rightclick of your mouse so you can set it up to wand attacks if you so wish it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/23/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Billski
Going to guess by the one you are stating as free is ray of frost and it has been stated time and time again that is a tool tip bug and it is infact not free if you rune it with cold blood but instead lowers the AP cost to 12. As for the topic of this thread you'll be able to press TAB to switch between two skills set to the rightclick of your mouse so you can set it up to wand attacks if you so wish it.

Your guess is wrong. Ray of Frost is not a Signature spell.

The spells I was referring to are:
-Magic Missile
-Shock Pulse
-Spectral Blade
-Electrocute

I was saying that there's never, ever a reason to use your basic attack outside of RP reasons, provided you have a signature spell equipped. Why would you ever use your wand over Magic Missile? And every signature spell can be runed to regenerate AP for you.
Edited by Dekkar on 3/23/2012 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]