Diablo® III

well-rounded group-friendly monk?

After watching the play-through videos by Force, I might be tempted to start a monk over a barbarian to begin with. They seem to have a lot of versatility and survivability.

Here's a build I came up with:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecdYbg!acY!aacZca

Passives
Resolve Dmg reduction
Transcendence Life leach based on spirit dumping
Chant of Resonance extended mantras + spirit regen

Actives
Spirit Generating:

Deadly Reach-Keen Eye a ranged (albeit short) spirit generator with armor buff
Crippling Wave-Breaking Wave main dmg attack with 3 debuffs: dmg taken, movement speed and attack speed

Spirit Spending:
Lashing Tail Kick-Vulture Claw Kick main dmg dealer boosted with ruin (AoE too)
Dashing Strike-Blinding Speed very useful and spammable distance closer w/ nice dodge buff, only 2 second buff, but since this is spammable you can have it up often

Mantras:
I went with two mantras for added versatility and situations.
Mantra of Evasion-Hard Target - used against melee types with nice armor buff
Mantra of Healing-Time of Need - either can be used against caster types with nice resistance buff OR used mid battle for group life regen - can be spammed every 3 seconds for 500% increase in life regen if needed

One thing I might change - I may be able to swap between those two mantras as necessary mid-battle - what is the (time) penalty for doing so? If penalty is too severe or feasibility difficult, will just leave them both in the build.
Edited by Vixen on 2/4/2012 8:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Some interesting changes, but do you need two slows?

I'd keep Alabaster from CW for the dmg taken debuff
Reply Quote
Also I'm still a big fan of resistances since I feel that is the one weakness of most melee type toons. Given that I can give 35% resistance across the board to my group mates seems huge:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecYdkg!Vcd!aaccba

Changed up the passives to give me a 2nd life and 100 increase in spirit from 200 to 300. The +100 spirit seems pretty huge compared to what the other classes get to increase their pools.

Just looked it up, Demon Hunters have a passive that increases their hatred from 100 to 50.
Edited by Vixen on 2/5/2012 6:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]