Diablo® III

How does +Damage effect spells?

If you have a magical/rare weapon with +damage, is that calculated into your spell damage as well, and on that note, if you have +elemental damage of some sort on the item, does that effect spell damage as well ?
Reply Quote
Your spells and all skills are based on a percentage of your weapon damage as seen on the advanced tooltips (hold down CTRL key when hovering over a skill).

This would mean that anything that increases the damage of your weapons increases all the damage you do with spells/skills also.

The way the +damage affix works specifically (+elemental damage works different, we'll get to that) is shown below. Say you have a weapon like this...

Great Axe
8.3 DPS
5-10 Damage
1.10 Attacks Per Second
+2-3 Damage <-- the +dmg affix

That +2-3 damage is already reflected in the 5-10 damage range (it's not 7-13). Without that affix the axe would have a 3-7 damage range.

So yes, +damage affixes increases your skill damage because it increases weapon damage.

Next, let's say you have this...

Dagger of Angels
12.0 DPS
3-6 Damage
1.50 Attacks Per Second
+3-4 Holy Damage <-- the +elemental damage affix

The damage range shown there is NOT showing the +holy damage (or any +element) but the DPS on the tooltip DOES take the +holy damage into account.

Since +holy damage increases your weapon damage just like +damage does (just calculated on the tooltips differently) that means that it also increase the damage of your spells and skills.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/6/2012 6:18 PM PST
Reply Quote

Since +holy damage increases your weapon damage just like +damage does that means that it also increase the damage of your spells

its good news, I was worried 3-6 lighting wouldn't show up during Bola or rapid fire, but it is, and multiplied by stats such as Dexterity for DH

Reply Quote

Since +holy damage increases your weapon damage just like +damage does that means that it also increase the damage of your spells

its good news, I was worried 3-6 lighting wouldn't show up during Bola or rapid fire, but it is, and multiplied by stats such as Dexterity for DH

I wonder though, if +elemental damage actually does damage as its element when you use a spell.

Say a spell does fire damage but you have +holy on your weapon, does that spell do fire damage but a small portion of it is holy damage? Wonder how that works. If it DOESN'T work like that, +elemental damage affixes are 99% pointless since 99% of the time we are using Skills/Spells and not normal melee attacks.

It's the same exact thing as +damage if +elemental damage doesn't somehow incorporate it's element into your spells and skills damage. That brings resistances into play then which makes it play differently than +damage.

I'm not really sure, wondering if anyone else has ideas or info on this. Just digging for something to talk about right now really, lol.
Reply Quote
2-8 hand cross bow with +3-6light
vs plain 2-8

My Bola shot says "100% weapon damage as fire damage", and I can see my damage numbers spike higher from the 3-8 extra

I can only assume it converts all damage to fire as it says, including the elemental. Also no Lighitng sparks proc visually...(however even my rapid fire will not procc lighting sparks so the visual is not exactly conclusive)
Edited by D3BETA on 2/6/2012 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2012 09:57 PMPosted by D3BETA
I wonder though, if +elemental damage actually does damage as its element when you use a spell.

I am also wondering this as well...
Reply Quote
Great Axe
8.3 DPS
5-10 Damage
Attacks Per Second
+2-3 Damage <-- the +dmg affixThat +2-3 damage is already reflected in the 5-10 damage range (it's not 7-13). Without that affix the axe would have a 3-7 damage range.

This appears to be false. I'v seen numerous weapons of the same base weapon type. ie axe with very different +dmg modifiers that show the same base dmg and dps. I suppose its possible the base dmg was different and the coincidentally ended at the exact same final dmg range but is highly unlikely... anyone else wanna chime in?

I just decided to randomly check ah for an example.

broad axe of wounding.
14.3 dps
9-13 dmg
+4-7 dmg attribute

broad axe of wounding.
14.3 dps
9-13 dmg
+3-6 dmg attribute
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It seems non crafted Weapons contain an intrinsic DPS range, and although the values have changed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/broad-axe
8.4–10.4 Damage Per Second
(5-6)–(8-10) Damage
1.30 Attacks Per Second
Durability: 50–65

-in game example-
http://content.screencast.com/users/TorbQA/folders/Jing/media/3c5b8772-49c1-4643-a252-547d320eadee/2012-02-09_2206.png

the affix of wounding, as well as elemental is included on a weapons DPS tooltip.
Edited by Korba on 2/9/2012 10:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2012 02:41 PMPosted by D3BETA

I am also wondering this as well...

I believe it does. I remember distinctly running around with my WD spells and having lightning death effects when using a lightning weapon ...
Reply Quote
In my opinion the dmg range on tooltip should include the modifiers. Perhaps color the dmg range to match the dmg type. ie fire would make the dmg range be in red. Id rather have to determine the base dmg before modifiers than the other way around and have to figure the total damage range.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/10/2012 08:23 AMPosted by Mike
Perhaps color the dmg range to match the dmg type. ie fire would make the dmg range be in red

maybe.

there is graphics to show the addition of Fire on the tooltip
http://screencast.com/t/Gxyk0xlfsAuX
right there in the image surrounding the range, and DPS number
Edited by Korba on 2/10/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]