Diablo® III

Is crafting too powerful?

I've played through Beta twice, once with a barb and once with a witch doctor. Overall I liked the crafting system, I found it maybe a little simplistic, but overall I was fine with it and thought it was good.

As I was playing through with the my barb, I found and kept upgrading my weapons and armor throughout but once I started using the blacksmith artisan (somewhere around level 7 I think) I quickly found that even the first tier of items the BS could make were leagues above anything I had been finding. At level 9 I finished the beta, pretty much geared out in the first level of items from the BS. Nothing I really found the rest of the way came close to the stats of slapping on the most basic BS crafted armor with all the plus's to vitality. I pretty much bee-lined to the skelton king too, so I think I was playing the proper content for my level and yet even the most basic BS items were OP compared to what I was finding.

Dito on my second play through with the WD, though this time I focused on used the BS artisan ASAP out of the gate. I finished beta with him on level 11 and BS artisan on level 3... The items i was getting at level 3 from the BS were (of course) even more OP than with the barb and his BS on level 1. In both cases not even the rares that dropped came even close to the blues the BS could make and salavging the rares for the "teeth" needed for the BS to make a rare belt was a no brainer... that belt was godly compared to the rares that dropped throughout the betas for either character (2 and 3 rares respectively I believe), not many I know, but the fact none of them even came within the same ball park as the first rare the BS could make concerned me.

One of the things I always liked about D2 was piece-mealing my armor and weapons together over time and from what I've seen of the crafting system so far there seems to be the potential for everyone running around with the same sets of gear throughout the game (ie BS gear), kind of like in another Bliz game that I shall not mention (except in that one everyone runs around in the same gear they find in dungeons/raids). This of course wouldn't be "diablo-ish" and I can't imagine Bliz missing the mark that badly, so hopefullythe BS artisan is just OP early on.

I know, Beta is only until level X and you've only seen X percentage of the game and on and on, and trust me I'm not doing that, but I am curious...

TLDR: Has anyone else found the crafting system to generally be over powered in the Beta compared against the drops you got from mobs and bosses throughout, or did I just have horri-bad drops through out my two play throughs? Anyone have any insight or remember seeing any blue comments that might extinguish this crafting concern?

Edit:spelling/grammer
Edited by Deathbane on 2/11/2012 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've played through the beta...Zero times :( i'm sorry I can't offer helpful feedback haha.
Reply Quote
Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to make that judgement without having played the rest of the game. Early smith equivalent being more powerful than your likely drops from that level may have been an intentional design choice to encourage a player to keep up with their smithing because it may yield some good things, but I wouldn't be surprised if, once you got further in to the game, smithing got prohibitively expensive to level and use on a first character, and not offer rewards that are worlds better than the dropped equivalents.

But for now, we just can't know.
Reply Quote
You have to keep in mind that the highest monster level in beta is level 8 or 9 which means highest item levels from drops are much lower than the available items from the blacksmith. Whereas the character can get to level 13 meaning the crafted items will by and large be the best options in beta, even though I have seen some worthwhile dropped stuff.

Inferno difficulty will require maxed out artisan and most of the good craftable stuff will come from dropped plans so will be much like finding a piece of loot.
Reply Quote
I know we won't know until we get to play the rest of the game, and maybe that will simply have to suffice, but I was curious if others had experienced similar situations to mine and/or if my concern has been previously addressed somewhere (unlikely I suppose but for some reason I thought I'd brave the gaunlet of trolls and flamers and see what kind of responses I get :-)

For Loading: 1. lol, 2. you are probably right the Beta Feedback forum would be a better place to put this, but unfortunately I don't have the beta on this computer/account thus I can't post in those forums. (I played the beta on my wifes account/computer).
Reply Quote
Not sure never played the FULL GAME.
Reply Quote
Yah, I have to imagine the pendulum will likely swing the other direction by the time we hit inferno, and since thats end game I suppose that is all that is really important in the grand scheme of things.

Nevertheless, it would suck to play through normal/NM/Hell with everyone geared similar/the same.

I'm probably worring too much and over thinking this, perhaps because its too late... but correct me if I'm wrong, the character level 13 should have no bearing on my situation, finishing with a level 9 character and the level 1 BS gear almost asuredly able to take me well beyond the skel-king.

Hopefully its just because normal is uber easy and things getting tougher from nightmare onward, but hopefully as part of things getting tougher the dropped gear starts to out perform the crafted material... I always felt crafting in D2 was more of a way to sort of plug holes in your gear until you're able to find a decent drop, and not as the primary way of outfitting your character. I just hope it stays that way is all.
Reply Quote
Yah, I have to imagine the pendulum will likely swing the other direction by the time we hit inferno, and since thats end game I suppose that is all that is really important in the grand scheme of things.

Nevertheless, it would suck to play through normal/NM/Hell with everyone geared similar/the same.

I'm probably worring too much and over thinking this, perhaps because its too late... but correct me if I'm wrong, the character level 13 should have no bearing on my situation, finishing with a level 9 character and the level 1 BS gear almost asuredly able to take me well beyond the skel-king.

Hopefully its just because normal is uber easy and things getting tougher from nightmare onward, but hopefully as part of things getting tougher the dropped gear starts to out perform the crafted material... I always felt crafting in D2 was more of a way to sort of plug holes in your gear until you're able to find a decent drop, and not as the primary way of outfitting your character. I just hope it stays that way is all.

A reasonable concern, however you would be much further past the skeleton king and getting higher level drops in normal play that I would guess would be comparable to crafted if you were investing in it. Also you cannot craft many rare items and can't craft unique at all which gives those rarer drops an edge up.

As far as being easy, that is a different subject, but yes normal Act 1 is supposed to be fairly easy and treated as the games tutorial. I'm sure most diablo veterans will find normal to be on the easy side in general, but who knows for sure.
Reply Quote
so far its been way too powerful but i'm sure on release it'll be fine.

if blizzard doesnt make legendarys better than crafted rares i'm gonna be upset though.

that whole idea still makes NO SENSE to me!!!! but w/e i'll QQ another time.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
As it's already been stated:

-At level 5-8 you will probably be done and moving on from the Skeleton King and getting better loot + you won't be farming blue items for mats at level 13 (...unless your me...)

-IMO, crafting takes the "Runeword" system and turns it into something everyone can benefit from - not just the lucky few that come across the right gear and runes... (and screenswaping to confirm formulas, etc...)

As Mentioned as well:

You're concerns are fair but I don't think it will be as OP as it is in Beta :P (Even in Beta - the best Items probably come from the Returned before the Skeleton King... just Drop rates are harder to control then crafted items... unless that is your concern o.o)
Reply Quote
Crafting gives people who dont have tons of time the ability to make decent gear, easily.

I like it -
Reply Quote
Well, everyone had the same gears in D2 as well...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]