Diablo® III

About the Skill and Rune Changes

It'll be fine. We'll have some info real soon on skills and runes, a new patch, and we'll be cookin' on the road to Releaseville.

Can't we just enjoy eachothers company?

With Bashiok just recently posting about having new information regarding the Skill and Rune system overhaul, what are your theories on what we will hear? What changes do you think will occur?

I personally think they want to keep Runestones as an item in the game as another means to trade with other players. Skills however... what major changes can they incorporate so significantly?
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 03:26 PMPosted by D3BETA
what are your theories on what we will hear?

I see the good in this question, but I feel like you will only bring madness.

I think we should wait until we receive information.
Reply Quote
Information is
not knowledge
Knowledge is
not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not Diablo3
Diablo3 is THE BEST...
Wisdom is the domain
of the Wis
(which is extinct).
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 03:26 PMPosted by D3BETA
theories

Honestly I dont think the resource generators/ resource spenders are working, however this may change throughout the other 98% of the game.

My theory is that there will be a reversion to a resource automatically fills up sphere and all skills will just cost resources.
Reply Quote
they'll probably revamp the tooltips for damage again, making it simpler to calculate and whatnot
Edited by koondad on 2/9/2012 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 03:34 PMPosted by D3BETA
I'm expecting something with a little more permanence than the "swap runes whenever for whatever reason." Nothing game-breaking, but just a little bit to hush the people who keep complaining that they don't feel committed to their characters.

So you're thinking a little more restriction when applying the runes? In what way could they do something like that though?

"You can now only switch runes out of a skill after x amount of time." That would be bad.

"You can never remove a rune from a skill" Back to forcing players to remake characters for bad decisions. Maybe a respecc system? Too similar to WoW?

Maybe they'll make it so that runestones work like a charge. Once it's used for a skill you 'unlock' that form of the skill and you can freely swap between them. However, the game could easily become saturated over a long period of time. That would cause Runestones to eventually hold no value in the Auction House.
Reply Quote
finally a decent thread.

Im still hoping for my old idea from a few months back:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1249/runeuiidea3.jpg

The only Rune stones in your inventory would be an un-attuned colored rune (so 7 colors x 7 ranks = 49 possible rune drops off monsters)

Example: An Unattuned Crimson Rune Rank-3 Drops.
You can then permanently slap it onto one of your skills (see image).... or sell it.
Each skill can hold 1 one of each rune color (so they dont sit in your inventory)... and you can just select which rune you want active when in town or something.
Edited by Nawlbergs on 2/9/2012 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
finally a decent thread.

Im still hoping for my old idea from a few months back:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1249/runeuiidea3.jpg

I really like the idea where the runes hold some form of stat. Though with your idea I'd still be concerned about the long-term decay of value with runestones.

Also, I think I recall Jay Wilson stating in an interview that they were playing around with stats on runestones. Don't know if it worked out, but it sounds like it's a closer guess than most.

Your example makes me wonder if they'll make stats a much more prominent influence in your runestone decision making. It would be concerning to sway players away from the rune of their choice only because the stats on it are weaker than another color that they have.
Reply Quote
I was really excited about the direction both systems were headed in, I really and truly hope that neither gets changed, at least not in the direction a lot of the people complaining would like (more similar to D2 and the skilltree crap).
Reply Quote
"runes have been removed until we find a more appropriate substitute in an expansion!"

"skills have been removed until we find a more appropriate substitute in an expansion, players will now use the basic attack throughout all four acts!

"the game is delayed until mid year while we use dev time to finalize our WoW characters"
Reply Quote
A final answer to the question of 'how do you intend to handle skill switching?'

We've had total freedom.
We've had nephalem altars.
We've had the 30 second cooldown.

None of these solutions were final. The new announcement will tell us what exactly they've decided to stick with/how they've changed it.

A final answer to the question of 'what does a rune look like when you find it, what happens when you put it in a skill, and what happens when you take it out?'

They've suggested that runes may just be items that drop already with a rank and colour.
They've suggested that rank and/or colour may be assigned to them when they're socketed in to a skill.
They've suggested that the rune may be bound to that particular skill once socketed.
They've suggested that a rune may drop with, or may receive when socketed, one or more affixes.
They've suggested they want a system for how otherwise uselss runes may be handled after we decide we don't want them. Previously the mystic was the answer to that. Now she's out of the game.

We know literally nothing about how this is going to work out. It is the biggest question yet left about the systems of the game.
Reply Quote
What if they threw a runeword-like twist to it? I'm sure many fans miss the runeword system of Diablo 2. I know I do. This could be the perfect excuse.
Reply Quote
02/09/2012 05:34 PMPosted by D3BETA
I really like the idea where the runes hold some form of stat. Though with your idea I'd still be concerned about the long-term decay of value with runestones.

Thanks. I think long-term decay has been an issue for any of the proposed rune-systems. Once you have all the level 7 runes you need... then what?
Reply Quote
How crazy would it be if rune rank slowly decayed?
Reply Quote
If you put a rune in a skill and then you want to change it you will lose the rune. Like in D2 when you de socket the items you lose all the runes.

This will keep the value of runes up in the game if not it would get inflated with to many runes and they would lose value faster over time.

Only one rune in a skill at a time.

That would be cool if the runes would slowly decay but they probably wont allow that.
Edited by Monster on 2/12/2012 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/12/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Nawlbergs
Thanks. I think long-term decay has been an issue for any of the proposed rune-systems. Once you have all the level 7 runes you need... then what?

Its almost "impossible", its like saying "what do i do when i get all the gear i need?"

I beleive we will have a good "mash-up" of all the rune systems they've suggested.

02/12/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Monster
If you put a rune in a skill and then you want to change it you will lose the rune. Like in D2 when you de socket the items you lose all the runes.

I dont like that... at all... If i get a crimson rune lvl 3 in a skill and i wanted a crimson one, if i pick up a lvl 4 rune and put it in there and get alabaster lvl 4 and then lose my crimson rune lvl 3, i'll be pissed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]