Diablo® III

Entangling Shot: Is it meant to *hit* 2 mobs?

85 Worgen Rogue
So far, Entangling Shot seems dramatically more powerful than the alternatives. If the guaranteed Snare on 2 targets wasn't enough, it actually deals *damage* to 2 targets.

Now, I'm not one to complain about feeling powerful, but I get the sense that perhaps this undermines what Blizz was going for? Speaking purely for myself, I find it the go-to Hatred Generator, with the others feeling quite weak in comparison. Although perhaps the others see more benefit as you progress throughout later levels?

Just trying to pitch in :P
Reply Quote
can't decide myself

I run

hungering arrow (for single target hatred generator, it's a lower dmg modifier but has a chance to pierce and follows target so I'm not sure how that factors into it's actual dps)

elemental arrow for multi target dps due to it's high dmg modifier

rapid fire for single target damage

and shadow power for the steroid boost.

seems to be working well for now, when mobs have more hp and i need snares i could see myself using entangling shot more though.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
02/12/2012 04:13 PMPosted by warfare
I'm not sure how that factors into it's actual dps)

.85/ (1 - not pierce%) = 130.7% per shot avg

i'd use bola, entangled min/max's on exactly two targets for damage, though it is 33% more hatred/shot, it probably comes out just barely ahead on thee targets since it works on only 2, but behind on four targets

the slow component is probably the variable that gives it more value, since slowed enemies can take more damage with the right setup
Edited by Korba on 2/12/2012 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/12/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Terin
So far, Entangling Shot seems dramatically more powerful than the alternatives. If the guaranteed Snare on 2 targets wasn't enough, it actually deals *damage* to 2 targets.

Reading the description of the skill, I always thought it'd just damage the initial target and then snare it and one more. also, I'd love to see if the rune that makes it hit 6 targets ACTUALLY damages them all.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I think in the end because it is limited only by the range of the explosion, bola shot has the potential to be the highest dps generator.
Reply Quote
So far from what I have seen watching playthroughs and actually playing the DH myself is that it does damage both targets that it snares. If the "Chain Gang" effect actually damages up to 6 enemies, I think that ES will be my go-to generator.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Since ES does damage 2 player on subsequent attacks on the chained enemies, meaning that it doesn't damage 2 the first one, but using it multiple times in a row damages both, it would only make sense that it would do the same for Chain Gang. This combined with the slow makes it my go to generator. The only other option I feel is bola shot with obsidian, but that hinges on whether it only has the chance to stun the original target, or all damaged, if it's all damaged, its a pretty good alternative since while the stun won't always be there, it will often be used more than once in a row, giving it a pretty good chance at working out well.

If it doesn't have the chance it requires alternating who you throw it on each time to allow for max control, which while not exactly too hard, it's as streamlined as ES which will control the affected targets no matter what.

Considering that we have seen several patches and this hasn't changed, I'm assuming that they know about this, and are either waiting until the big patch revealing all the system changes to fix it, or it's intentional. But the Demon Hunter is mentioned as getting a major reworking, perhaps the biggest of all the classes, so we'll have to wait and see what those changes end up being. This lack of real option for the generator used is likely something being worked on.

Just an FYI hungering arrow's chance at piercing more than once is so abysmal it's not worth using if your expecting to get more than one pierce often, but it's PvP use is pretty even with ES.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I like the way entangling looks so its my Go to generator. I don't usually need to use a generator on AoE so I don't like hungering that much.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
02/13/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Sasukekun
abysmal it's not worth using if your expecting to get more than one pierce often

it's 35%, that is not an opinion

it is in effect 98.025% compared to ES on a single target when you account for damage+hate, however, it auto-targets.. es slows

130.7 * (3/4)
Edited by Korba on 2/13/2012 9:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
The developpers have been inspired by Dota (windrunner : Shackleshot)... http://www.playdota.com/heroes/windrunner
Edited by Warx on 2/14/2012 9:23 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]