Diablo® III

Dual-Crossbow build

Please give suggestions and critique it :3

So, I am a fan of the dual-crossbow idea, and I wanted to make a spec geared towards using them (as I will be using dual-crossbows on my Demon Hunter). Of course any build could use it, but I find it more viable for dual-crossbows. I wanted to focus on attack speed and critical strikes for this one. It should be able to boss/AoE pretty well, depending on how Strafe will work.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeRbUS!XVh!YYYaZa

Hungering Arrows Indigo:
With Dual-c, I am aware that hatred-spending skills are less efficient, so I wanted to get a couple of Hatred-gens. I like hungering because of the pierce (giving some multi-hit, possibly good single target damage). The rune I am not sure about, but if the 5 arrows can attack one monster (I.E. a boss), it will stay. Probably will stay even if it doesn't.

Entangling Shot Indigo:
Able to get away from opponents and some multi-hit/regen.

Strafe Indigo (that is right, not Rapidfire :3):
Kind of the main skill for this dual-c. With it increasing attack speed and the rune increasing it more, I am fond of it. It allows movement as well. A couple of problems with it: I am not sure exactly how it works and how the resource is drained. So it could be changed, but not likely.

Caltrops Alabaster:
Not really for the slow, as the Alabaster rune kind of gives that away. Since I am trying to go for a crit build, it seems kinda necessary.

Shadow Power Crimson:
More attack speed with Strafe and giving me some Hatred per second. Possibly looking to change the rune for Alabaster, as I really don't have leech life/health regain.

Multishot Alabaster:
Really just for some more Disc. This is one I am not sure about... however, I like the idea of keeping up Caltrops/Shadow Power up as much as I can.

Passives

Night Stalker:
Figured as my Disc skills are pretty high costing and that I should be criting a lot, this would be a pretty nice fit. (The name is pretty stellar as well...)

Archery:
More crit... only justification on that.

Sharpshooter:
Even MOAR crit.

So, if you have any suggestions or the such, let me know. Thank you :3
Reply Quote
My build is very similar to this and at first was the exact same. Depending on the situation you may want to take rapid fire over strafe say if you have a high attack speed on both the xbows than RF has the potential to do a lot more damage than strafe. You may want to take out a skill in favor of one that might help with your defense or avoiding mobs in the higher difficulties such as vault or smokescreen, but good job the build looks solid and looks really fun to play
Reply Quote
@Spryx (late reply, ikr?)

Yeah, I am not sure how Strafe will work out, but I do still like the mobility, random monsters shot, and the Rune makes the skill quite nice. But if Strafe isn't cutting it, I will probably go Rapid Fire Indigo/Golden.

And I was sort of thinking about changing up for a more "I don't wanna die right now" skill. If Shadow Power Alabaster (life steal) does not work out, I will probably trade it/Caltrops (as the rune might be hard to efficiently use) for Smoke Screen Obsidian.

Thanks for the reply :3
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
dual-C I am aware that hatred-spending skills are less efficient,

I don't understand the reasoning behind this

are you trying to say that per hatred you will get more damage when not dual wielding?
Damage/hatred is skill based, a fixed ratio whether dual-c or single wield.

impale 275%/25 = 11% weapon per hate
it doesn't matter if it two weapons at 22 dps, or one weapon at 22 dps, it is strictly DPS based
Edited by Korba on 2/12/2012 8:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Korba

I feel like I saw a blue quote from some place a long time ago... too lazy to really try and look for it, but I think it said that the damage % is based off only one weapon. So if you are dual-wielding, your other weapon's damage is not calculated in.

I could be wrong, as I feel like that mechanic would be slightly weird myself, but it could also be justified with the higher attack speed and 15% increase attack speed buff.

Even if it is the case that they do add together, my build would be like this, as I just like the idea of high critical and high attack speed xD

Thanks for the info though. I might try and look it up later~
Edited by StaIker on 2/13/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Skill damage is based off of weapon damage not DPS, when this is applied to dual wielding it goes off of the weapon that is being used to attack and as such the skill damage alternates based on the alternating weapon use of dual wielding.

This is why you should be trying to have weapons with similar damage amounts, in a different thread I believe it was stated that so long as there isn't around a 25% damage difference then dual wielding is the way to go, any greater difference and you'll see a drop in DPS and you'll also notice that depending on which weapon is firing the skills you are using will change in effectiveness.

Eg. Weapon A hits for 100 - 110
Weapon B hits for 50 - 70

Using Elemental Arrow (does 145% weapon damage as fire)
weapon A will hit for 145 - 159.5
weapon B will hit for 72.5 - 101.5

So the skill fires from weapon A then B then A then B and so on. This is where the relevance of weapons not being any greater than 25% damage output difference comes into play.

This shows you the difference of effectiveness of the skills based on the alternating weapons, this substantial difference will change based on how close your weapons are to dealing the same amount of damage. The other thing to note with dual wielding and correct me if I'm wrong but the attack speed of each weapon will also affect the cast rate of skills, ie if one weapon is much slower than the other you would notice that the skill would be cast in a fast then slow manner. That's my understanding of how the attack speed of dual wielding weapons works on skills other than the 15% overall increase to attack speed.
Edited by Genesis on 2/13/2012 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ahh, good, I was not wrong then.

And yes, I am fairly certain they are doing casting speed that way too. So for Wizards (if they want to look Wizardy), Staffs = lots of damage but slower casting and wands = faster casting but lower damage.

Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
@Korba

I feel like I saw a blue quote from some place a long time ago... too lazy to really try and look for it, but I think it said that the damage % is based off only one weapon. So if you are dual-wielding, your other weapon's damage is not calculated in.

yes a primary weapon (right hand on the 3d avatar), but to keep things simple, all you have to do is look at your final DPS on the character screen.
if dual wielding is a better DPS (which takes into account crit and aps), then dual wield for sure.

if it is less then a 2-h you would still need to properly account for the 15% ias, = 15% hate regen to make a proper analysis

02/13/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Genesis
Skill damage is based off of weapon damage not DPS
yes when technically trying to work out the math you need to do that, but skills/stats are multiplicative so you can lump it together for a fast conclusion

But, for the purpose of alternating attacks, this is crucial

the weakest bow must individually have a DPS rating itself solved as
1.15 + 1.15x > 2.00
.85/1.15
= 73.913% of the stronger bows DPS, or it will be a loss

assuming all attacks toggle, which I suspect now they do, this is important.
Edited by Korba on 2/15/2012 12:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Stalker,
I'm a starting demon hunter and don't really know much about the equipment or skills and all, I was wondering since it looks like you know a lot more than I do if you can maybe give me some tips and advice of what to equip, how to get it and what skills to use. Im only level 5 myself so I wanna make sure Im building my character properly
Reply Quote
Hey Stalker,
I'm a starting demon hunter and don't really know much about the equipment or skills and all, I was wondering since it looks like you know a lot more than I do if you can maybe give me some tips and advice of what to equip, how to get it and what skills to use. Im only level 5 myself so I wanna make sure Im building my character properly

That's the beauty of this new system. You can't quite build it wrong. You can always remake and find new gear.
Don't sweat it, play with what makes it easiest to you. What works for one person might not be best for you
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]