Diablo® III

Mantra Monk - Ever considered???

As i have seen many threads of speculation builds for all categories i.e
Inferno
PVP
PVE
AOE
MF etc etc

I have wondered if there is a viable build for a Mantra monk?

Theory:
Mantra Monk would be a monk who specializes in 1 or 2 mantras. The purpose of the build is to try to keep the 3 second bonus up as often as possible while keeping your spirit up to support this.

The Challenge:
Can we the community come together to think of a good viable mantra monk build that incorporates fast spirit generation as well as which mantras would be best for a mantra monk to use.

Purpose:
The purpose of a mantra monk is to buff your allies. Obviously this would not be a solo build or pvp build but could be an Inferno build playing Monk as a support roll entirely.

Here is what i have done so far:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#iUZQgR!fYd!YbbbYa

Hundred Fists - 6 spirit per attack with 8-12 attacks. The idea is to get the most spirit out of using this.
Exploding Palm - 6 spirit per attack. Aoe dmg gains additional 4 spirit per mob hit by explosion. Seems good enough
Blinding Flash - 10 spirit to use. Lowest spirit spender we have. Great for crowd control and escaping while your allies beat up the bad guys. Easily spammable with only 8 second cooldown between mobs being able to see and when you can reuse.
Mystic Ally Air Ally - Every attack he does has a 11% chance to generate 11 spirit for you. Passive AOE and additional dmg and spirit while your running around.
MoH - I picked this for the huge bonus of healing for 2 seconds. Also to keep up the 10 second shield on all allies.
MoC - When not needing to heal the 40% additional dmg while keeping a 30% DR on all mobs. This would be the primary use and mantra i would reapply during those needs. MoH would be if we need some heals and need shields to get through a tough fight.

Passives:
These were hard to decide. So i went with some basics.

Exalted Soul - considering how much you will be using the 25 spirit on the mantra's. I thought having 100 more would help.
Transcendence - even when not using a spirit spender. The use of mantras alone would be 25 x 118.6 = 2,965 heal for you everytime you spam the Mantra 3 second buff. Not a bad way to heal huh (^-^)
Guiding Light - This 3rd one was tough. Nothing really stood out to use for a 3rd passive so i picked this one for the bonus dmg for your allies. This Mantra concept is a 100% support role and you are buffing your allies.

There it is! Looking forward to hearing and reading up on your ideas of how viable a support Mantra monk can be. Thank you
Edited by Archangel on 2/10/2012 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
I was in the middle of a long reply to this thread... when I decided to just long in to the beta and test the basic premise.
As soon as press another matra the previous mantra ( and its corresponding 3 second buff if up) are replaced. This basically renders a build liek this mostly moot.

There may still be a niche for say having conviction or retribution up most of the time and using rune'd mantra of Healing for the bubble to save people, but you could just as easily rune cyclone strike or use breath of heaven for healing on demand. Yes MoH is cheaper, and bubbles are nice, but I would assume other options heal for more actual hp assuming effective usage.

Anyway that aside some other things.

I would assume hundred fists to be 6 spirit per "click' like other generators. Thus for max faith you'll want one that generates bonus faith on crit or something like sweeping winds for passive regen. Also Exploding Palm seems very back loaded ... i.e. you don't get the faith gain until the fight is over. This is actually fine since you're taking the larger faith pool, so w/e.
Guiding light seems terrible for a build that doesn't actually have a direct heal... so I'd recommend guardian's path for 20% more faith regen, or something survivability based, resolve being a popular choice. Even more so if it gets applied by your mystic ally's aoe too.
Reply Quote
Thanks Apple for your insight. If its ok I would like to take your response into sections so you and I can be on the same wave length for how this would be used.

02/10/2012 04:46 PMPosted by D3BETA
As soon as press another matra the previous mantra ( and its corresponding 3 second buff if up) are replaced. This basically renders a build liek this mostly moot.

I understood this as how mantras worked. So the idea is not to just switch back and forth but to use the mantras in specific events or encounters. So example.

MoC is the primary. 3 min buff, I would only reapply the 3second bonus on mini boss's, large groups, or big boss's. I would not swap back and forth to MoH unless there were heals needing to be done.

02/10/2012 04:46 PMPosted by D3BETA
There may still be a niche for say having conviction or retribution up most of the time and using rune'd mantra of Healing for the bubble to save people, but you could just as easily rune cyclone strike or use breath of heaven for healing on demand. Yes MoH is cheaper, and bubbles are nice, but I would assume other options heal for more actual hp assuming effective usage

With MoH being the main healing it cost less than both Breathe and Cyclone. Also, it heals for more HP total through the duration of the 3 minute timer. Also, if you were to only do it for 6 seconds costing 50 spirit. It would surpass Breath of Heavan and would be just 2k HP more shy of cyclone and still only cost 50.

It was thought of for more direct heals but we dont know if MoH counts as a direct heal or not. Cyclone and Breathe cost more spirit and if you leave the MoH running you will greatly out heal both spells. But i do like Rune cyclone but remember. The runes on the calculator are MAXED rune's and those will take some time to aquire. (^-^)

I would like to see if Guiding Light does proc off using MoH would be nice. ^^
Issues i have with resolve would be how to keep it applied on the enemies. If my Ally's aoe effect applys resolve then i would definitively switch out Guiding light for Resolve so it would stack with MoC's rune.

Remember the idea is not to swap back and forth every 3 seconds. The idea is to not be afraid to spam a mantra to keep the 3 second buff up and running for maybe 6 or 9 seconds.

gaining that bonus dmg for 9 seconds can add a lot to the pool. Also gaining 3000 hp per second for 3, 6, or 9 seconds adds up more so than any of the other direct heals.
Edited by Archangel on 2/10/2012 10:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Apple could you post a build that you would use? I am continuely rebuilding this Mantra idea because i can see it being helpful.

My problem i run into when i test it in beta is keeping up my spirit. Enemies die so fast that i cant keep my spirit up and without the Ally's 11 spirit proc and other things.... It makes it a hard build to test in the BETA.

Would love to meet up in BETA sometime and run duel monks though. Anytime you'd like to test builds just let me know (^-^)
Reply Quote
With MoH being the main healing it cost less than both Breathe and Cyclone. Also, it heals for more HP total through the duration of the 3 minute timer. Also, if you were to only do it for 6 seconds costing 50 spirit. It would surpass Breath of Heavan and would be just 2k HP more shy of cyclone and still only cost 50.

Note that its also 25 faith to switch back to MoC ( assuming its your primary mantra). Doesn't necessarily negate the benefit but you have to consider all the costs. After all if you just leave on MoH.... why have MoC? And you might think well MoC is for bosses ... except said bosses are also likely to be the engagements challenging enough to require healing... I will say one definitive benefit to MoH is the 40 yard range. Vs 24 on CS and 12 on breath.

I would like to see if Guiding Light does proc off using MoH would be nice. ^^
Issues i have with resolve would be how to keep it applied on the enemies. If my Ally's aoe effect applys resolve then i would definitively switch out Guiding light for Resolve so it would stack with MoC's rune.

TBH I'm not even 100% cyclone strike's glyph will proc guiding light. One assumes the heal overtimes do not, but we'll see when the game is released.
Regarding resolve: I recommended Sweeping Wind. Which would continually proc resolve on targets in melee range. So it has use even if the ally doesn't proc it.

Apple could you post a build that you would use? I am continuely rebuilding this Mantra idea because i can see it being helpful.

My problem i run into when i test it in beta is keeping up my spirit. Enemies die so fast that i cant keep my spirit up and without the Ally's 11 spirit proc and other things.... It makes it a hard build to test in the BETA.

Bear in mind at low levels you have no attack speed buffs, no passive spirit regen, and no ability to rune expensive skills to be cheaper. That said I'm a firm believer that mantra's should be clicked when appropriate, and every build should have 1 mantra.
As for a Faith conscience support build I might run something like: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#fZhcVW!acY!cYbbYc
The general premise is that party buffs are better than debuffing an enemy since you're never gonna debuff all the enemies all the time.
Its not perfect especially with so much missing information but please consider the following:

Inner Sanctuary is fairly cheap, and with 40% dmg reduction for anyone standing in it a fairly powerful cooldown. It also keeps out melee enemies, and can block doors/hallways etc so it has a wide variety of uses both for boss fights and general dungeon clearing. Basically drop it on the ranged DPS as you run in. Anyway strong defensive buffs to the party outside of Mantras are rare so this is a strong option if content is hard enough to warrant it.
Blinding Flash- I like it for all the reason you do. I prefer a different glyph since I feel it is more likely to blind more overall targets with a followup blind than 1 really long blind. Still 7 seconds of 30% miss chance on tough elites is better than 5.5 seconds of 30% miss chance so both options are viable.
Sweeping Winds is good consistent dmg, and passive spirit regen.
Deadly Reach should hit more targets than Crippling Wave/FoT and thus should generate the most faith when runed to generate faith on crit. Alternatively, SW covers aoe fairly well, so picking out a different generator or even runing for dmg is not out of the question. Either FoT since its fast or Crippling Wave to debuff enemies are fine options.
I like MoR for the 16% attack Speed rune and the 40 yard range. If clicking MoR doubles the attack speed buff too this spell is a clear winner even when not using the best runes, if not, it is a good choice at lower levels where getting melee'd a few times isn't death. Once you reach largely 1-3 shot range MoC/MoE become the only viable options.
CS is simply there as a faith burn/emergency heal.
Not in Love with my passives either, but its hard to say whats best . I think resolve is a no brainer... the rest... debatable.

Some alternatives: I'd consider dropping IS or CS for Tempest Rush as mobility is always nice, and you can glyph it to be cheap or to reduce the damage you take as necessary. But it doesn't add much in terms of party support.
Serenity is also an okay option when runed to give the party protection too. The cooldown is a bit longish for my tastes, but the range is long, which helps since most people in trouble are going to be trying to run away.

Quick Group Benefits Recap:
40% Dmg reduction for party - ~25% uptime.
Blind CC/Miss debuff ~33% uptime
-30% dmg dealt to any target within 10 yards of the monk.
16% attack speed buff.
Large Aoe heal.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Looked at your mantras, saw Indigo Healing, agreed.

I think Indigo-runed Mantra of Healing is by far the most viable secondary mantra option, to the point that it merits being treated as a skill in its' own right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]