Diablo® III

Skill Damage

I just got into beta, trying to check things out. Is there a way to see how much damage each skill does while in game?

I noticed skill damage (in percentage of weapon damage form) here on the website, but it is very inconvenient to go to the website to see if say my frogs do more damage or my poison dart does more damage. I was hoping to see with AA weapon, my poison dart does BB damage with a cast rate of CC, and with XX weapon my poison dart does YY damage with a cast rate of ZZ.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Hold down Ctrl and it will show you the detailed info on each ability.
Reply Quote
Thank you!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
this is exactly why the simplified tool tips are stupid. Imagine a regular player who bought the game, let alone someone who visits the forums, trying to figure this out and compare skills.

Truly a mess.

I don't think its that bad, as long as the put a toggle for advanced tool tips in the skill panel itself.
Reply Quote
This shows what is on the website, which is more handy than having no idea how good a skill is compared to another. Is there a way to better distinguish if a weapon is better for a particular skill (say poison dart), like if i use a broad axe or a dagger, or is this what the DPS number is telling me. I had assumed the DPS number was just the DPS of if i was swinging that weapon, not shooting poison darts.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
What happened to arithmetic, crunch some numbers. Skill doesn't equal simple.
Reply Quote
I agree.

Also, another thing that may be confusing for many is how Blizz implemented our Battle Tags & chara names in the game. More often than not I find myself hovering over the avatars (top left) to find out their in-game name so I can choose the right banner for teleportation. It can be confusing. While Im at it..
I also believe we should be able to fluently move to a new server with the current party we are with. Instead of adding everyone as a friend & trying to hook back up, many would enjoy the option to keep the party going after the dungeon has been cleared to continue onto a new server. Instead- we all leave & match make.. Thoughts??

Sorry to get off topic >_<
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
For a caster it's a bit tricky i think. You have to compare weapon damage and attack speed. The dagger is going to let you cast spells faster but possibly not hit as hard. Spells that have a cooldown like meteor or freeze (i forget the actual name of the ability that freezes all nearby enemies) would benefit more from a weapon that does a lot of damage but doesn't attack as fast. That is, unless a faster weapon decreases the cooldown on the ability. I'm not sure if that is the case or not off the top of my head.
Reply Quote
Sorry Russ, I wasn't aware this was an educational game, I will try to keep my opinions to myself during beta and just complain when the game is live.

Where can I find the attack speeds in game so that I can decide which skills do more damage per second?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
they're on the weapon and in the character sheet if you click on details.
Reply Quote
The simplified tooltips aren't a bad idea, it just isn't clear how to get the advanced ones to show up, as Blizz has stated and is working on.

Sorry Russ, I wasn't aware this was an educational game, I will try to keep my opinions to myself during beta and just complain when the game is live.

Where can I find the attack speeds in game so that I can decide which skills do more damage per second?

Attack speed of your abilities is based on your weapon's attack speed. I'm pretty sure all abilities shoot at the same speed, but I could be wrong about that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]