Diablo® III

Monk = Assassin?

I was really looking forward to playing as an assassin once more against the Lord of Terror, but they've scrapped the good old assassin. That said, I've been told that the monk was as close as I'd get to the assassin. I will miss the traps and cool armor.

Do you think that the monk will live up to the assassin's prowess or will it carve its own legacy against the new wave of hell spawn from hell?
Reply Quote
what do you want from the assassin? traps and armor = demon hunter.

hand to hand = monk
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I was really looking forward to playing as an assassin once more against the Lord of Terror, but they've scrapped the good old assassin. That said, I've been told that the monk was as close as I'd get to the assassin. I will miss the traps and cool armor.

Do you think that the monk will live up to the assassin's prowess or will it carve its own legacy against the new wave of hell spawn from hell?

The monk play will be fairly similar to a Martial Arts assassin, especially if you decide to use 1 handed weapons. Overall, he should be less squishy, though I will miss spamming that 1st charge of Phoenix Strike for a constant rain of meteors wreaking havoc to all about me!

That being said, the monk looks like a whole new kind of awesome. Hopefully we'll know in the next 3-5 months according to the latest info from Blizzard!
Reply Quote
im thinking a melee dh will play better as an assasin, impale, traps, fan of knives, gernades. also the hooded/cloaked armor look.
Reply Quote
02/14/2012 09:44 AMPosted by D3BETA
im thinking a melee dh will play better as an assasin, impale, traps, fan of knives, gernades. also the hooded/cloaked armor look.

Diablo 2 class Assassin is what he's talking about.

Derp.

edit: If that's what you meant, I never did much with traps. I kinda thought they were lame - martial arts/shadow was the way to go. Yes, trap assassins were the FoTM for a long time, but I always thought they were incredibly boring.
Reply Quote
Insofar as Classes go, yes I believe Monk is as close to the Sin as you'll get. From what I've seen, Monks are the ones using Katars in D3.
Interestingly I also seem to get the impression the monk is sort of like an offspring between Pally+Sin.
Regardless, I'll be playing the Monk thoroughly.

edit:

02/15/2012 03:00 AMPosted by Zanathos
I never did much with traps. I kinda thought they were lame - martial arts/shadow was the way to go. Yes, trap assassins were the FoTM for a long time, but I always thought they were incredibly boring.

you never used them right, the amount of teleporting / running involved mixed with casting traps and mindblast all whilst avoiding what gets thrown at you is rather exhillerating.
NTM, you really can't beat 14k trap dmg hidden behind a wall or bush or something
Edited by Commander on 2/15/2012 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monk = new and improved Martial Arts Assassin: now with more AOE, less (I hope?) need for lifesteal/manasteal items, and increased tankiness.

The real question is pretty much... male for the beard, or female for the sexy kick-assery?

EDIT: Just an opinion, since people are saying "Go DH for the armor"... I prefer the monk armor to the DH armor. The deep red is very reminiscent of some of the Assassin armor that I loved.
Edited by legionary on 2/16/2012 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Insofar as Classes go, yes I believe Monk is as close to the Sin as you'll get. From what I've seen, Monks are the ones using Katars in D3.
Interestingly I also seem to get the impression the monk is sort of like an offspring between Pally+Sin.
Regardless, I'll be playing the Monk thoroughly.

edit:

I never did much with traps. I kinda thought they were lame - martial arts/shadow was the way to go. Yes, trap assassins were the FoTM for a long time, but I always thought they were incredibly boring.

you never used them right, the amount of teleporting / running involved mixed with casting traps and mindblast all whilst avoiding what gets thrown at you is rather exhillerating.
NTM, you really can't beat 14k trap dmg hidden behind a wall or bush or something

No, any assassin had to do that merely to survive in Hell difficulty. I found it frustrating. Or boring. And annoying as all get out. Any assassin had to have a few points in traps, just because they became necessary for survival at some points - unless you were the type of cheezola n00b that left the game the instant a pack of mobs you couldn't easily handle with your main skills showed up. I knew a bunch of people that did just that. I alwasy tried to kill them or run away. My rule of thumb for playing hardcore was generally I could only log out from Town, unless a real life emergency intervened.

If you enjoyed it, more power to you. I personally didn;t enjoy it, however. Each to their own.
Reply Quote

Just seeing the OP

I must say at first I thought the monk was the assassin replacement. But consider this, assassin would build combo points and then use a "finisher" to spend the points.

I would say this, a lot of classes "generate" points, and have some spenders as finishers. So not only a monk, but a barb and hunter could be considered an assassin.

As for traps, I was never a trapassassin. I always found them useless.
Reply Quote
The Monk got the physical part of the sin, but the Demon Hunter does have some traps, and have some movement boost like the sin.
Reply Quote
69 Tauren Druid
Keep in mind Assassin was a LoD expansion class. In the D3 expansion (Wrath of Leah), maybe a few other archetypes that we've seen in the past will show up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]