Diablo® III

Infero build

Would this build be good for inferno both for staying alive and putting out good dmg. What would you change??

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#acdjWR!YUV!bZZYca
Edited by DruNkenMeSs on 2/15/2012 12:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Instead of Transcendence passive use Exalted Soul passive:
With an extra 100 Spirit, you can use Cyclone Strike twice and still have at most 50 spirit instead of using it once and being left with at most 25. The 100 life healed per spirit used from that passive would take 100 spirit to heal you 10,000, while simply using Cyclone Strike another time heals you for what, 20,000 with your Obsidian Rune? Not to mention it gives you an extra 100 spirit for blowing up hard when you need to.
I get that the Transcendence gives you a nice sustain heal, but in situations where you're getting owned really hard really fast, burst heal is better I think, plus with all of the extra spirit you'll have in the bank, you may just kill mobs faster and not need that slow heal.

Aside from that very small note, your build is absolutely extraordinary. One of the best I've seen the community make for Monk period. :D
Reply Quote
you start the game with 150 spirit so you can do Cyclone strike 2x without Exalted.

KEEP Transcendence for a free heal for yourself because you WILL need it.

75 spirit x 118.6 = 8895 heal for free

You wont be using cyclone often enough to get the benefit from the rune for the bonus heal to begin with.

75 spirit takes some time to build up and your going to want more smaller heals over time than waiting for big heals while your being beaten on in Inferno.

For monks who have a LOT of DR (damage reduction) skills. DR will be the name of the game for Inferno.

You are wanting to reduce how much dmg they hit you with to extend your own life. This is how the more smaller heals over time will help you better than 1 big heal that just gets knocked right back down from a boss or a heard of mobs.

I have my own build for inferno but this is what i would change with your setup.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ecTQWR!Yda!cZbcca

With Crippling Wave + MoC with your Rune + Resolve = 100% Damage reduction to all mobs within melee range.

This is huge! On top of that your getting passive heals from your abilities.

Lastly i have the Ally out because 50% bonus to max HP is another HUGE buff for you and allies in Inferno. It also will taunt mobs off you and fight with you. Giving you that much more of a buffer.
Reply Quote
02/16/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Archangel
With Crippling Wave + MoC with your Rune + Resolve = 100% Damage reduction to all mobs within melee range.
That's definitely not how damage reduction is calculated. You could probably beat Inferno naked if that's how it is. It's most likely going to be that you take 29.4% of the damage they deal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Damage reduction modifiers and resistance modifiers are multiplicative, not additive. Damage dealing and healing/shield absorption modifiers are additive.

Those reduction talents would yield 100-(.3*100)-(.3*70)-(.4*49)=70.6% damage reduction from that build, before any gear damage reductions (which are multiplicative as well).

What does a normalized hit for 1 trillion damage hit you for if your character reduces 100% damage taken? It hits you for zero.
Reply Quote
Damage reduction modifiers and resistance modifiers are multiplicative, not additive. Damage dealing and healing/shield absorption modifiers are additive.

Those reduction talents would yield 100-(.3*100)-(.3*70)-(.4*49)=70.6% damage reduction from that build, before any gear damage reductions (which are multiplicative as well).

I'd assume this statement is for the most part correct. However, it may only take the highest of both reducing the damage enemies deal and your damage reduction. On the other hand, increasements to your damage and enemy damage taken, might be additive by themselves but your total of both is multiplicative.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/19/2012 12:49 AMPosted by AscendedOne
I'd assume this statement is for the most part correct. However, it may only take the highest of both reducing the damage enemies deal and your damage reduction. On the other hand, increasements to your damage and enemy damage taken, might be additive by themselves but your total of both is multiplicative.

I think what you're trying to say is right.

Skills and mantras that reduce a target's damage done are multiplicative. The remaining amount of damage the target can do is subtracted by the skills and gear that reduce your physical damage taken, which is within itself multiplied.

Taking the same example above, a target does 29.4% damage to your character. If your character has 15% damage reduction, the total amount would be:

.294*(.85*X)=hit done to your character, where X is the amount of each unmitigated target hit.

Damage done and target reduction buffs are completely separate and, to my knowledge, do not share anything with each other. For example, if a character does 100% increased damage with a 100 damage normalized swing to a target who's damage taken is increased by 25%, that character would do 250 damage that hit. (2*100)+(200*.25)This would mean that everything about damage is additive as a whole, and there are no multipliers involved.

I'm not sure on the damage formulas though, but this seems like the logical model Blizzard is using.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]