Diablo® III

Don't assume you'll play softcore

I've played hundreds of hours of Hardcore Diablo II, and hundreds of hours of normal Diablo II.

Over the last couple of years, I've gotten to know several other hardcore Hardcore players, if you know what I mean. Every single one of them plays a ton of normal in support of their Hardcore characters. So do I.

I'm sure that it's not a requirement, but I find it very important to spend 50% or more of my time learning all the tricks of the game in normal mode as a preparation for preserving my Hardcore character(s). Just learning about and knowing what near-death is like, and being very familiar with the bottom of the health globe is something that a serious Hardcore player will only do with normal characters.

I learn the tricks.......on Hardcore.

I know what near-death is like......because I have died many times, and have come close to dying many more.....on Hardcore.

I play softcore....at game launch because Blizzard too scared to unlock Hardcore....on Hardcore.

I am hardcore....on Hardcore.

Thanks.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
too many people get lag spikes in online games and die due to lag.

This is the biggest reason i wont play hardcore... because i would be soo mad if i lost my character i played for 600 hours do to a lag spike... or other unpreventable accident of some sort. aka. power outage, pushing the wrong button on computer, computer crashing/hanging... etc.

This to me is a parallel to people who are thrill seekers. For example the person who drives a car and goes the speed limit(Safe choice=SC mode) vs. Those who ride a motorcycle and go 120 on the freeway with so many unpredictable events aka other drivers/weather etc...knowing at any moment you could slip up.. (risky choice=HC mode)..neither is better than the other but I assume those who like HC are doing it for the rush factor. which I too am addicted...

P.S. I am also a fan of the "wife aggro" comment...most likely will be my main cause of unforeseen deaths lol

Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
This kinda makes me sad, that there forcing us to play Sc first. although i did play softcore for about a year and a half before switchin to Hc in d2, but i could have never gone back after that. and yes i realize its a reward, and no matter what anyone says bliz prolly wont change their minds about this. (again)
Most Likly because they are going to want that many more people playing softcore at the release and helpout The RMAH before we split off to Hardcore. I wont buy that excuse of "we dont want the babies to cry when they die in hc because they dont know what their doing"

what a load.

But now im going to have to Rush through the SC content ASAP so i get get to the real game...

but seriously
Great job blizz, been a fan since Warcraft 1, and i will continue to be, but i am getttin really really tired of Diablo3 being hoisted over my head like a carrot. only to hear about delay after delay, "DONT TELL ME ANYMORE UNLESS ITS A RELEASE DATE PLEASE!!!"
Edited by Zabiniju on 2/19/2012 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey guys. I get that some of you are interested in playing hardcore from the start.

We've started a thread about finding potential solutions to combine the best of both worlds : to get new players to play softcore (which means not exposing them to a choice they could regret) and to offer the option to the aware players to play hardcore from the start.

I invite you all to take a look and contribute to the thread, if you want. Also, please note there are more original ideas discussed past the original post, so read on before replying. :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4079838723?page=1
Reply Quote
too many people get lag spikes in online games and die due to lag.

This is the biggest reason i wont play hardcore... because i would be soo mad if i lost my character i played for 600 hours do to a lag spike... or other unpreventable accident of some sort. aka. power outage, pushing the wrong button on computer, computer crashing/hanging... etc.

This to me is a parallel to people who are thrill seekers. For example the person who drives a car and goes the speed limit(Safe choice=SC mode) vs. Those who ride a motorcycle and go 120 on the freeway with so many unpredictable events aka other drivers/weather etc...knowing at any moment you could slip up.. (risky choice=HC mode)..neither is better than the other but I assume those who like HC are doing it for the rush factor. which I too am addicted...

P.S. I am also a fan of the "wife aggro" comment...most likely will be my main cause of unforeseen deaths lol

This is a really bad analogy. You're arguing consequences for behavior, when the real difference is the consequence of the system.

People playing SC basically are people that can't handle any consequences and want games to be served to them on a platter with no chance of failure. That's fine. Gaming has become a lot like watching TV, and SC mode fills that need for a lot of people.

HC is for people who want an accomplishment. There can only be an accomplishment if there is also a chance of failure, and SC has no chance of failure with its instant, easy, infinite retrys.

A better analogy is walking a tightrope. SC is walking a tightrope 2 feet off the ground. If you fall, you get back on. HC is walking a tightrope 200 feet off the ground. If you fall, you're done. Ultimately the action of walking a tightrope is the same, it's just the consequences for failure are different.

Reply Quote
Posted by Kelthar
aye, and do you let someone, anyone, do the 200 ft rope first? no matter how good they think they are? you make them do the 2 foot rope first, just to make sure they really know what theyre doing.

Well, what the analogy doesn't say is there are, in fact, people that walked the tightrope before. Granted you don't let the inexperienced try the 200 ft first, but there are other people up to the challenge.
Reply Quote
Posted by Kelthar
the problem being how can you tell whos who? Blizzard is playing it safe, and while i dont necessarily agree with their decision, i respect and understand it, especially since im not one of those crazy nuts who think that they cant have ANY fun on softcore.

In that thread I linked (#164), we're precisely trying to figure a way of only allowing the right group of players into hardcore at the start. If you're interested, you should read it.
Reply Quote
02/17/2012 09:42 AMPosted by DoomBringer
Well, let's hope HC is better in D3. I don't want to have to worry about potential back-stab from my "allies". If that happens, I hope there's a way to report and get them banned.

I present you with the first hc pk build\
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dUXSRg!TVb!ZYYYZZ

Be super hard to kill
Be twinked
Be in nightmare-inferno mode playing with nubs on first runthrough
Say you are pro tank and will lead the way
Lure giant group of monsters to you and be about <20 yards from a squishy
Leap attack onto squishy (pulling all monsters with you to call of arreat)
Fast exit game (hit quit and then exit program and you can leave without waiting 10s if you didn't realize this)
????
PROFIT
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
Well, let's hope HC is better in D3. I don't want to have to worry about potential back-stab from my "allies". If that happens, I hope there's a way to report and get them banned.

I present you with the first hc pk build\
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dUXSRg!TVb!ZYYYZZ

Be super hard to kill
Be twinked
Be in nightmare-inferno mode playing with nubs on first runthrough
Say you are pro tank and will lead the way
Lure giant group of monsters to you and be about <20 yards from a squishy
Leap attack onto squishy (pulling all monsters with you to call of arreat)
Fast exit game (hit quit and then exit program and you can leave without waiting 10s if you didn't realize this)
????
PROFIT

Yes you have a nice build. But IMO it does not look like a rock solid build. You have two skills that use a lot of fury. On top of that both fury generators you choose are on a cooldown. So popping both would only net you enough fury to use Sprint. Not nearly enough fury to use War Cry.

I would change Juggernaut to Weapon Master and use a Mighty Weapon. Next I would change leap attack to Cleave and use the Reaping Swing rune to give you more fury for cleave. This way you can cleave to generate the fury for War Cry and Sprint. Still pull targets off of a squishy with your Ancient Spear. If Ancient Spear is on cooldown then I can Sprint to the squishy.

Juggernaut's heal is not going to be reliable enough to save you when you need it. Also while the reduction in mezzing is nice, I say that is more of a PvP skill. I highly doubt you will be running into a lot of mobs that will use a lot of mezzing. Even if they do you will not be perma mezzed anyway.

Of course you would have to get a weapon that does more than one type of damage to make it work. Otherwise you will have a slower time killing things that are highly resistant to physical damage. IMO the changes that I suggest will be better. That is unless the game will give you gear that will increase the amount of fury generated with each attack.

Unless you want to use it for griefing a squishy.
Edited by Johadiandunn on 2/19/2012 5:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
WHAT THE !@#$ ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT KID? i was not even talking to you %^-*in dumbass i was clearly saying IF YOUR GOING TO CRY WHEN U DIE ON HARDCORE GTFO its only for the pros who like 1 lives................. Yes RZA's EGO IS VERY HIGH WANNA KNOW WHY? EVERYONE WHO STEPPED TO THIS ON HARDCORE GOT !@#$IN DROPPED.
Reply Quote
hardcore is for the pros go hard or go home if you cant deal with dieing and loseing ur char the dont play i will be pvping allllll the way like i did on diablo 2 hardcore i was known as TheRza and The-Rza if you played d2 hardcore you know who i am #1 barb dueler the clan leader slaying machine dropping ears from leaders and there pk clans like BMPK IHPK WTFPK and so on

You're deeds of valor will be remmberd Noob.

here's a vid of me dropping and ear for barb vs barb you can see its hardcore cus well the deeds of valor dont lie

If your reply is directed to me then I see you do not understand do you. I am like many others that do not play hardcore. Quite frankly your attitude is one that I have seen before and do not like. Your of the mentality that if you do not play hardcore you are not playing the game right. The game is not really challenging unless you play hardcore.

Look hardcore does not automatically increase the difficulty. The monsters do not hit harder, they do not treat your character like they are a full party of four. The monsters do not get any more affixes than softcore. The only real difference is death is final, that is all, sure you have to build differently. Also you have to build differently to survive hardcore PvP.

Now you post one video, tell players your name in the old D2 hardcore game. Instantly you become a top PvP player, beating other players like they are nothing. That video does not prove anything to me. We cannot check your build, gear, your stat placement. The same is true for your opponent. You might have been playing a noob as far as PvP'ing goes. Heck if you two are friends, he could've made a build and gearing that is easily beaten by your build and gear. So it proves nothing.

When this game is out then post a video of your hardcore banner that shows just how good of a hardcore player you are. In this game you will be put up against other players of equal rank (hidden) and gear in the arena. So there is no outgearing your opponent, also potions will be on a cooldown, so you will have to wisely use your potions if they can be used in PvP at all. So in this game you will need some real skill in order to win. Also you are talking to someone that did not play online much due to all of the lag. Probably caused by bots.

You do not understand that even softcore players hate losing, even though death is not permanent like hardcore. Hardcore is not the real game, the only "right way" to play the game. Your attitude is why some players do not choose hardcore, even though they have the right skills to be able to play hardcore. It is because they do not want to put up with ones like you.

clearly u didnt play USWEST or USEAST hardcore cus if you did you would know who TheRza was everyone did allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the pk clans tried to get me in there pk clans and as for Loss he was a friend at 1 point intill he talked !@#$ and thought he could kill me after he stepd up his ear fell to the ground and i was the #1 dueler on hardcore i killed sorcs druids dins barbs ASK anyone on hardcore west or east today WHo was THERZA???? they will tell you i went on massicars slaying everyone with my berzerk barb.
Reply Quote
When I was younger, I tended to shy away from Hardcore mode for obvious reasons. I died enough in regular mode as it was (I was in Middle School when D2 came out mind you). Even though I would go back to D2 numerous times over the years, I never really found myself playing it. (TP-killing or whatever it was called was apparently rampant)...but I'm getting off topic...

It was the same reason I tended to play most games like FPS and even Starcraft in single player and not multi. I was unable to handle getting my !@#$ kicked. Now being where I am in life. I realize not all things are permanent, and I can say I will definitely be playing Hardcore mode. I understand it can be nerve wracking to lose a ton of progress, but like having your PSX memory cards crap out on you and not being able to do anything about losing hundreds of hours of hard earned progress. I will adapt the same mind set.

I look forward to it actually. :) Been fiending for an online rpg for quite some time. (Done with WoW)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]