Diablo® III

Inferno heavy support monk w/ 2 mantras

1 spirit per second is pretty bad - 250 spirit pool you are talking a static .4% of your spirit pool getting regenerated per second. Compare that to Guardian's Path and +20% of your current spirit generation.
You forgot to mention the 25 spirit saved by not recasting it and having longer duration ^^

02/16/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Vixen
Not to mention reapply the shield over and over again totally negates the +7 minutes to the mantra.
Agreed. If your talking about using it with indigo MoH, or really any mantra you want to recast regularly, it is a dumb idea.

Of course Candle you would find a way to make it work and just show me up to spite me (^-^) lol..

*shaking hand in air* CAAAANDDDDDLLLLLLLEEE!!!!!!
LoL. NO, I really had considered this already in builds I was thinking about :D
Reply Quote
Hell i like the kamakazi Monk build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUZQXV!VYd!cbYbcc

well the idea is the

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!Vd

35% of 250 is 87 spirit back after death.

So run in there. Deal as much damage as you can....DIE!... then hop up and heal and support till your 90 second timer is up.

Rinse and repeat lol.
Reply Quote
> nOrain

An example for you...

Say your toon has 10% elemental resistance (pick 1 I don't care)

100 life = you since you don't think having extra life is worth it
50 damage from mob of the specific elemental damage

45 damage taken (10% resist)
Your toon has 65 life left (put another way only 65% of base life left)

195 life = me
50 damage from mob of the specific elemental damage
45 damage taken (10% resist)
150 life left (150% of base life left)

yes having more life makes a ton of a difference
Reply Quote
The 2 mantra idea is all about support.
Keeping up the 3 second bonus when you need it
and supporting your allies.

As long as you keep these 3 things in mind. Any combination of buffing your parties

HP VIT
Attack Dmg / speed
Damage Reduction (shields)
Healing

as long as your focus is everyone BUT yourself you will be in good shape.
Reply Quote
This is another dual mantra i can see trying out.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eZXTRg!afd!cYcbaY

I like the 28% bonus dmg for everyone for 15 seconds.

Breathe 12% and the direct heal grants 16% = 28% more dmg every time you heal your team.

Which in Inferno, will be OFTEN
Edited by Archangel on 2/16/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
nOrain >

Have you read any of the posts in this thread, where we kept the numbers SIMPLE? I don't even know wtf you are trying to argue.

100 = base life make 10,000,000 HP if that makes your ePeen happy.
195 = 195% of whatever HP you feel is acceptable.

If you are trying to argue for damage reduction skills give an example rather than just throw out "DAMAGE REDUCTION SKILLS"
Reply Quote
damage reduction IS life.

The more you have the longer you live.

Just like.

The more HP's you have the longer you will live.

The difference is maintenance.

More life means you have more to heal.

More Damage reduction means you have less to heal.

my 100 HP with 100% dmg reduction vs your 200 HP and 0% damage reduction.

You will be needing more heals than I because your going to be taking harder hits and your health globe is going to be fluctuating radically.

DR gives you composure. Less HP but Less damage and thus smaller heals will work.

Its pretty cut and dry
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUWQgR!aZU!cYZcYa

This is my build, i had this in mind before this thread was even started.

Anyone who does not take the 50%hp bonus form the earth ally is a mad man.

Anyways back on topic. If you go Vit(MoH) then you cant go dual mantra because it would have to be up at all times to benefit your team, and chances are if you apply it in combat you wont get healed for the health that the extra 30% vit gives you, just like Fort from WoW didn't heal you the HP it gave.

Boon(MoH) is pretty much a OH $#!% button, the 25% hp sheild will give you time for your op 3 sec activation bonus to bring you back up to speed.

Boon does not give you a free pass to ignore vit, you will need it.
Reply Quote
damage reduction IS life.

The more you have the longer you live.

Just like.

The more HP's you have the longer you will live.

The difference is maintenance.

More life means you have more to heal.

More Damage reduction means you have less to heal.

my 100 HP with 100% dmg reduction vs your 200 HP and 0% damage reduction.

You will be needing more heals than I because your going to be taking harder hits and your health globe is going to be fluctuating radically.

DR gives you composure. Less HP but Less damage and thus smaller heals will work.

Its pretty cut and dry

Great - now tell me what skill gives you 100% damage reduction, I'll stand by.

ETA - keep in mind in the example I gave it was spell damage not physical.
Edited by Vixen on 2/16/2012 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
But Vixen. Go for it. When game comes release i will be happy to add you as a friend so you and i can try different Inferno dual mantra builds and see what works best.
Reply Quote
Sure

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eR!a!ca

There you go Vixen 100% DR on melee targets as a Monk
Reply Quote
Sure

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eR!a!ca

There you go Vixen 100% DR on melee targets as a Monk

joking right?
Reply Quote
40% + 30% + 30% = 100%

So where am i missing something?

Resolve is applie by your cripling wave. Or you ally's AOE with u use

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#Q!!b
Reply Quote
Archangel -

2 things:

1) reread my last post, my ETA (edited to add), I was talking spell damage
2) that is not 100% DR, they are multiplicative

I'll wait for the 100% spell DR.
Reply Quote
Ahhh! you mixing up the game while i am typing. lol

ok

Well you got me there. In D2 there was no such thing as 100% because it is capped.

Now if your argument is

More HP is > more DR while taking ranged damage.

You have yourself a strong argument.

Examples i see of this are in WoW. Bear with me

Lets take a Druid and a Warrior. Each get to fight a mage.

The Warrior which has high HP and Armor but 0 resistance is going to have a harder time than the Druid who has MORE HP and less armor but still 0% resistance.

Now im not counting heals and garbage like that. Only that the War has less HP but more DR and the Druid has MORE HP but less DR.

As a mage I found warriors much easier to kill than a druid because druids had so much darn HP.

So your idea of going ALL HP while sacrificing resistance and damage reduction isn't far out there. When talking about spell damage and ranged dmg.
Reply Quote
As a 2 mantra build monk i will be able to avoid most ranged elemental dmg by just constantly moving.

Now melee elemental dmg you have a problem. DR comes back into play and I would wrather have DR then more HP.

again its easier to do more smaller heals than having to keep a HUGE HP supply up all the time while spending more spirit with BIG heals.

My brother will be playing a BARB. He and my strategy is to maximize our combined DR.

Our hopes are in Inferno that we'll have weaken the strength away from our enemies that smaller more controlled healing will be in our favor than spamming big heals and trying to build up the spirit to afford these big heals
Edited by Archangel on 2/16/2012 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ahhh! you mixing up the game while i am typing. lol

Now im not counting heals and garbage like that. Only that the War has less HP but more DR and the Druid has MORE HP but less DR.

Reply Quote
Considering each class has their own ways of coping with melee damage, I don't see it as the monk's primary responsibility to maximize each class' melee damage reduction.

(1-.3)x(1-.4)x(1-.3) = 29.4%

The example you gave brings total damage reduction to 29.4% damage, over a tiny 2.5 second span for only 1 mob and it took 3 skills to achieve. Even if all mobs only did physical damage I would have a hard time using up 3 slots to achieve this.

assuming a physical attack that does 10% of your full life, how many attacks can you sustain before dying?

so each attack = 2.94 hp loss after "damage reduction"

100 / 2.94 = 34 hits until you are dead w/ full DR
195 / 10 = 20 hits until you are dead w/ full vitality

After 10 hits though, my toon has 95 HP left and yours would have 70.6 HP left, so unless you go AFK, not that big of a deal.

This also assumes only the mob you are physically hitting is hitting you back, big IF
Edited by Vixen on 2/16/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]