Diablo® III

Inferno heavy support monk w/ 2 mantras

hey Raydia hows it going

you might have come late into this discussion.

We were talking about stacking HP as a monk vs's going with damage reduction and MoH w/ indigo.

Vixen had a good point on elemental spell dmg. So i had to put it into a visual so to make sure we were all on the same page.

In WoW
Druid = More HP, Less armor <------ Vixens arguement
Warrior = Less HP, More Armor <------- Everyone else's

when talking spell damage. the druid will have a greater chance to survive than the warrior because Armor does not effect spell damage.

That was it in a nut shell
Edited by Archangel on 2/16/2012 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Druids also have that buff with resistances to all elemental damage, but let's not get off track ;)
Reply Quote
Please, lets not :-)
Reply Quote
forgot to mention, health globes favor more vitality (less overhealing waste) :p
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUWQgR!aZU!cYZcYa

This is my build, i had this in mind before this thread was even started.

Anyone who does not take the 50%hp bonus form the earth ally is a mad man.

Anyways back on topic. If you go Vit(MoH) then you cant go dual mantra because it would have to be up at all times to benefit your team, and chances are if you apply it in combat you wont get healed for the health that the extra 30% vit gives you, just like Fort from WoW didn't heal you the HP it gave.

Boon(MoH) is pretty much a OH $#!% button, the 25% hp sheild will give you time for your op 3 sec activation bonus to bring you back up to speed.

Boon does not give you a free pass to ignore vit, you will need it.

I like this build, and I will concede in battles where you want to lead with MoC and transition to MoH you would be better with indigo since you will not have the initial prep time to allow players to heal up.
Reply Quote
For some reason that 30% vit just doesn't seem fun for me unless im a full out MoH user. Then it would make sense.

For a 2 mantra build thought the shield is immediate once you switch to MoH
while as the other is not.

25 Spirit to switch. Allies gain 30% VIT but now they need that 30% to be healed. Once you switch back to MoC you loose the VIT.
Then once you go back you have to heal it back up again.

Shield is
25 spirit spent BOOM 25% HP are up and no heals required. Shield gets blown through BOOM. 25 more spirit another 25% HP bonus is up.

This whole time i am not having to spend 50 or 75 spirit for any direct heals but only 25 spirit free life and a super heals.
Reply Quote
It is also much easier to build 25 spirit back up than to build 50 or 75.
Reply Quote
This is a pretty good O !@#$ matra:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.....b!!.....a
Reply Quote
after Crippling and intimidation they are only doing 42% of their normal dmg

Ex. 100dmg per hit is now 42dmg, with resolve its down to 29.4% or 29.4 dmg per hit

So i might even remove resolve because it only gives 12.6% dmg reduction due to DR.

Ill probably swap with combination strike for 16% dmg bonus since i use 2 Spirit gens.

cripple and EP
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUZQXg!afd!cYYbcY

My healing monk build.

I can see this keeping any of your friends up for as long as you want. Well..... As long as they dont get into to much trouble and you can keep your own spirit up.
Reply Quote

My healing monk build.

I can see this keeping any of your friends up for as long as you want. Well..... As long as they dont get into to much trouble and you can keep your own spirit up.

Ranged mobs will rip you apart
Reply Quote
If it didn't have a 2 minute cooldown. but i like your thoughts there.

What if we went about it the other way. Why even have increased dmg? Fights might take longer but survival is more important.

So one monk uses MoH and Other uses MoE.

Tons of healing and a safety net that will keep everyone alive long enough for heals to get off.

My brother brought up a good point for D3. Damage is not that important if as long as you can survive. You will kill your enemy eventually.

They dont have any berserk timers for boss's as of yet for D3. So why not stack defense abilities that ensure your parties survival then whittle away at your enemies care free.

Nothing wrong with that idea is there?
Reply Quote

My healing monk build.

Ranged mobs will rip you apart

not if I can out evade them ^^. Time will tell
Reply Quote
Stacking defense for the whole group probably wouldn't work. I am betting there is going to be a (largely gear based) dps check in Inferno - if your group cannot kill mobs (that spawn stuff) fast enough as an example, you could easily become overwhelmed.
Reply Quote
02/16/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Vixen
Stacking defense for the whole group probably wouldn't work. I am betting there is going to be a (largely gear based) dps check in Inferno - if your group cannot kill mobs (that spawn stuff) fast enough as an example, you could easily become overwhelmed.

Exploding Palm Mobs kill them selves.

Only thing that worries me is affixes such as "molten" where mobs deal AoE dmg apon death. Because if i use indigo EP and one dies starting a chain reaction around me, i could potential instagib myself. But then again thats why i will use the One with Everything passive for high resists.
Reply Quote
02/16/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Vixen

You make a good point. But with 4 people beating on those mobs that summon guys. I dont think the enemy will be able to get much off. All skills scale to weapon damage so as we all level up our damage will go up as well.

You just don't need big nukes to kill a target. They can be ganged up on by everyone making the target your focus.
Edited by Archangel on 2/16/2012 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
Raydia what would be your 2 mantra build?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eUWQgR!gZU!cYZcYa
Reply Quote
Interesting passives for a support build.

Increase your dmg
Increase your Spirit Regen
Increase your Resistance

So you buff others with abilities but keep your passive for yourself. More survival on your part but not as helpful to those around you. I like it though.

My passive are where i get held up for a 2 mantra build. I want to buff others and keep myself able to maintain the high spirit use that 2 mantras imply.

I just dont see the bonus spirit regen being anything short of 2 spirit or 3 spirit per second tick. WITH it being even that high it just doesn't measure up to

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!afd

Helps everyone take less dmg
Helps everyone do more dmg
More spirit for me to help others with my mantras

maybe i will die by helping to many and not myself. Who knows. Im hoping all my heals will keep me alive at the same time buffing my allies
Edited by Archangel on 2/16/2012 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Interesting passives for a support build.

Increase your dmg
Increase your Spirit Regen
Increase your Resistance

So you buff others with abilities but keep your passive for yourself. More survival on your part but not as helpful to those around you. I like it though.

My passive are where i get held up for a 2 mantra build. I want to buff others and keep myself able to maintain the high spirit use that 2 mantras imply.

I just dont see the bonus spirit regen being anything short of 2 spirit or 3 spirit per second tick. WITH it being even that high it just doesn't measure up to

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!afd

Helps everyone take less dmg
Helps everyone do more dmg
More spirit for me to help others with my mantras

maybe i will die by helping to many and not myself. Who knows. Im hoping all my heals will keep me alive at the same time buffing my allies

im using it for dodge no Spirit regen.

I don't believe in full support monks, i put a good chunk of dmg reduction on the mobs by staying active, and i can toss a heal every now and then. If players are still dieing then its on them to go back and stack defense because all they probably did was stack their primary stat and think it would work. If i go into a game and i can tell they will hold me back, then im going solo or finding another game. For the most part i will be playing with friends who know how to play a game like D2/3 and they wont have to rely on me for support 24/7
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]