Diablo® III

Monk is the worst

After playing all the beta classes to 13 and full geared (Its weird, I actually had fun doing this), I can say that spirit is the worst resource out of all the classes, and in beta monk is the worst (wearing the best crafted gear available).

Spirit spells are just too costly for too little an effect, and takes too long to refill.
And the shadowstep mechanic is really lame too, cant go different levels with it :(.
That said, Demon Hunter is pretty awful till you get sweet weapons.

EDIT: All this said, I had the most fun with monk, and will play one when game is released.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/13/2012 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
I disagree, I disliked arcane power the most.

I didn't feel it, but apparently monk (at least for me) has great potential. I've logged between 5 and 6 hours on all 5 classes (all 13 ofc) and all but the monk have between 2.4k and 2.6k kills, somehow he's got 3.2k kills.

Exploding Palm is REALLY nice single target dps and Cyclone Strike is REALLY nice aoe damage as well, if you haven't already, give them a try.
Reply Quote
02/13/2012 12:03 PMPosted by blitzkrieg
Exploding Palm is REALLY nice single target dps and Cyclone Strike is REALLY nice aoe damage as well, if you haven't already, give them a try.

Oh no doubt I love them, but it just feels like the things monks accomplish get done by other classes easier and more effectively.

Like I said, I love monk and intend on playing it to 60+, it just feels more... awkward than other classes.

P.S. Anybody know if "Betamaxed" stays with your account on release?
Reply Quote
i think the reason the monk feels so underwhelming towards the end of beta is the way spirit generation works. By the time you get geared up, you are killing most trash mobs in 1 hit which really cuts down on the rate you generate spirit, especially if you are using crippling wave.

The wizard and witch doctor both have resource generation independent of damage done, the demon hunter isn't as resource starved and has a better variety of early options imo, and the barbarian has leap attack to build up quick fury and less worthwhile fury dumps to use them on.

On the other hand, we have 4 possible spirit generators that gain drastic changes through rune effects. Really, the best option in the beta is crippling wave and it cuts our spirit generation by so much because it kills most groups in less than 3 swings. Most people are also using cyclone strike for the big numbers, but it eats up half of our spirit pool and with limited generation that makes the class feel a lot slower. At the tail end i was running fists of thunder, crippling wave, dashing strike, and lashing tail kick. Using FoT as my primary generator and crippling wave as my primary aoe, it seemed like i was always high on spirit when i found myself wanting to use it and I could also keep up with the other classes much better.

The best time to compare all 5 classes is around level 8-9 without any twinking, and to be honest the monk was probably my favorite at that point.
Edited by Mirshan on 2/13/2012 1:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
What's beta maxed?
Reply Quote
beta maxed is an achievement when you get all characters to level 13 (beta cap)
Edited by D3BETA on 2/13/2012 2:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Did you try Crippling Wave?

Kills everything in the beta easily. Even great for breaking urns.

The beta is easy enough, and the Monk spirit builders powerful enough, that you don't need to spend even 1 point of spirit to finish it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

No, there was a post by blizzard stating that nothing is transferred over the full game, a clean slate for everyone.
Reply Quote

No, there was a post by blizzard stating that nothing is transferred over the full game, a clean slate for everyone.

which is fair because there are still alot of people that havnt and still wont get a beta invite
Reply Quote
I disagree...although I do like the barbarian's resource a bit more.

In my opinion DH still has the worst resource pools...both of which replenish too slowly on their own.
Reply Quote
monk just has no 'great' weapon choices in beta range; crafted fists are too low damage; the maces have wasted stats on strength and the bo is too weak compared to 1hers.

that and none of its aoe clearers can compare to barbarian's cleave with rune. Dashing strike is great though, barring the monk's squishiness.
Reply Quote
Bacon- use the lvl 12 crafted 1h axes.
Reply Quote
i must have gotten lucky with the crafted daibo. i'm running around with a 20.something dps version and with runed deadly reach wipe out huge swaths of enemies. The damage range is double that of the axes so even at the same or slightly lower dps, the range makes my skills hit hard.
Reply Quote
Daibos can get up to 21.5 dps if you roll a +2-4 elemental dmg, and you cna get a +dex on top if you're lucky.

Anyways, so far monk and wizard are my favorite classes. And balance discussions based on beta are irrelevant considering how little content we have access to.
Reply Quote
Was hopping on the forums just now to post almost the same thing, and this post was at the top. Although the monk being the most fun, it is also the hardest class to play. All the other classes pre lvl 13, I was able to join full groups and solo by myself more than easily. With the monk, if I have only 1 other person with me and I start soloing, I actually have to pay attention. I don't really recall this being the case before patch 13, so either the nerfs really hit hard or they made the beta harder overall, but only when you log on the monk ;). Fun class would just be nice if it was...idk, still skill dependent but just more, fair, I guess? Anyways we'll see at release.
Reply Quote
Moving Crippling Wave up to level 14, thus out of reach for the Beta Monk, hurts.
Reply Quote
I'm sorry but Cyclone Strike is bull!@#$. 275% weapon dmg in 24 yards compared to Arcane Orb/Nova's 250% in 20 yards. Only the Wizard can cast this three times in a row, with a fourth shortly after, all from a safe distance. Monk? Oh yea it costs, you know, half of our spirit pool which takes forever to generate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]