Diablo® III

P13 Dh Skill/Rune Review

85 Goblin Death Knight
This is a review of the skills only nothing about the new ui will be included as you can find several pages of complaining about that.

These are just my opinions of the skills you are entitled to your own.

Hungering Arrow- The new HA has a dmg increase up to 115% and you can really feel it. HA went from an ability I had disregarded in almost every build to one that will have a definite spot in several.
Piercing arrow- This first rune available which increases your pierce from 35-55% is pretty noticeable and is a welcome first lvl rune
Cinder Arrow- 30% additional dmg as fire over 3 secs. In a single person game once you have a semi decent wep this probably wont be that noticeable except vs elites. It is pretty nice in a multiplayer game though

Impale- impale a target for 250% dmg... not much to say about this ability its basically the same except for the dmg change
Impact- This rune is just 100% cheese on the skeleton king.. your impale stuns the target for 1.5sec and it doesnt appear to be on any type of diminishing return, using just hungering and impale swapping back and forth I was able to stun-lock SK down the entire bar in a multiplayer game he never was able to summon any skellys.

Caltrops- Same ability as before
Hooked Spines- Increases the slow from 60-80%, by the time you unlock this first rune things are dying to quickly to notice, but im sure it will be decent until you unlock a better rune like the immobilize.

Chakram and Rapid fire- Both the same as previous builds and neither unlock a rune before lvl 14

Evasive fire- In essence the same as before but the back flip pathing has been improved substantially. Instead of backflipping into a wall you will most of the time backflip sideways down the wall or around a corner if at one, it still has its quirks but it is much improved from its previous pathing.
No runes unlocked during beta.

Bola shot- Dmg increased to 130% to main target and 110% to aoe otherwise the same
Volatile explosives- Increases dmg range from 7-14yrds, a definite improvement easily noticeable especially on areas like the jar of souls.

Entangling Shot- Dmg reduced to 75% wep dmg and hatred gen reduced to 3, and the chain gang rune nerfed from 6targets to 4. Overall not happy with the new ES I had included this ability on several builds as a primary hatred gen because it out performed HA and bola.. both of which now feel like they really will outshine this ability which is a shame because it was a primary slow for alot of builds that didn't use caltrops. As it is currently I will prob not use it in favor of HA unless they change 1 of 3 things- The dmg, the Hatred gen, or the number of targets slowed with chain gang.

Strafe- First for those not familiar here is a video from another thread showing off the ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOkvaZ2iE0&feature=youtu.be

Strafe- This ability to me feels like a lackluster ranged Whirlwind. It doesn't hit enough mobs for how quickly channeling it uses your hatred. It also has no kind of smart targeting in that it just randomly chooses the mobs it hits, It would be a much much better ability if it smartly chose to shoot the mobs either closest to you or lowest on life, making it more effective. The two good thing I can say about this ability though is that you can lay traps while channeling it and it targets destructibles too, but not before enemy's. I have used this ability to get upwards of 40+ destruction chains which is rather fun. This ability could become an amazing one in a meele style build with its final rune which throws out grenades that do aoe dmg. But atm it doesn't hit enough monsters intelligently enough to be used well in meele and burns to much hatred to be used at range for my taste.

EDIT: I figured I would post about the passives too just because.
Evasive maneuvers- hasn't changed at all.
Thrill of the hunt- Hasn't changed but currently broken as all hell it roots every second as opposed to 10 and can proc on multiple enemies if using an ability like strafe.
Vengeance- Max hatred reduced from 50-25.. hatred and disc gained from orbs increased from 10-20 and 1-2 respectively.. this seems to be atm the one passive early on that might let you use strafe like an old d2 ww if you stay up in the thick of it, but overall health orb drops are to random to abuse it as such.
Edited by Bangkokbetty on 2/19/2012 5:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
thank you for this. i have been waiting for DH news on the new patch.
Reply Quote
Impale- impale a target for 250% dmg... not much to say about this ability its basically the same except for the dmg change
Impact- This rune is just 100% cheese on the skeleton king.. your impale stuns the target for 1.5sec and it doesnt appear to be on any type of diminishing return, using just hungering and impale swapping back and forth I was able to stun-lock SK down the entire bar in a multiplayer game he never was able to summon any skellys.

From what I can tell there is some sort of diminished returns, though I'm not really sure how it works. If you chain them close enough you can get the 'immune' message even if he isn't currently stunned when the next one hits.

Obviously the system in place doesn't help the fact that weaving shots seems to either clear the diminishing returns system, OR maybe like a split second delay between stuns is all the system prevents.

Hungering Arrow- The new HA has a dmg increase up to 115% and you can really feel it. HA went from an ability I had disregarded in almost every build to one that will have a definite spot in several.
Piercing arrow- This first rune available which increases your pierce from 35-55% is pretty noticeable and is a welcome first lvl rune

I didn't consider it either prior to the patch, but it looks quite solid now. The 'tracking' is also quite ridiculous, can clear a room without even moving my cursor from a single location... Pretty funny watching the sharp turns the arrows can make.

Entangling Shot- Dmg reduced to 75% wep dmg and hatred gen reduced to 3, and the chain gang rune nerfed from 6targets to 4. Overall not happy with the new ES I had included this ability on several builds as a primary hatred gen because it out performed HA and bola.. both of which now feel like they really will outshine this ability which is a shame because it was a primary slow for alot of builds that didn't use caltrops. As it is currently I will prob not use it in favor of HA unless they change 1 of 3 things- The dmg, the Hatred gen, or the number of targets slowed with chain gang.

I'm not 100% sure how Entangling worked prior to the patch, but I thought it was worth mentioning that it does damage to both targets now, even if they aren't super close together. Tooltip could be worded better.

-----

Shadow Power has been completely changed, gives life instead of attk speed (nerfed IMO).

-----

Marked for death nerfed from 20% to 15%

-----

Preparation buffed from 2 min CD to 1.5 min CD.

-----

Side note, my lv 8 Wizard (2H Axe) clears "The Cathedral" faster then my lv 13 DH (2x 22DPS XBow)... Kinda sad, but DH looks like it should have strong gear scaling by lv 60 endgame.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

From what I can tell there is some sort of diminished returns, though I'm not really sure how it works. If you chain them close enough you can get the 'immune' message even if he isn't currently stunned when the next one hits.

Obviously the system in place doesn't help the fact that weaving shots seems to either clear the diminishing returns system, OR maybe like a split second delay between stuns is all the system prevents.

Actually what you are seeing with the immunes is his teleportation move or his phase looking cleave, both of those moves are immune to all types of cc effects, otherwise he isnt immune, checking if it has a dr is really easy when he goes to do his summon animation because you can perma stun him from there to dead ( tried it with your starting xbow)

I didn't consider it either prior to the patch, but it looks quite solid now. The 'tracking' is also quite ridiculous, can clear a room without even moving my cursor from a single location... Pretty funny watching the sharp turns the arrows can make.

Yeah I am really liking the new HA, I will prob end up using it with either the bone explosion rune or maybe the splits into 5 rune.

I'm not 100% sure how Entangling worked prior to the patch, but I thought it was worth mentioning that it does damage to both targets now, even if they aren't super close together. Tooltip could be worded better.

It worked this way pre patch also, and this is just antecodal but it seems like the chain to range between mobs has been reduced a small amount from what I remember pre patch.. they may just be me being crazy and not really liking it though.

Preparation buffed from 2 min CD to 1.5 min CD.

actually prep is now on a 45sec cd.. but what types of effects the runes are is anyones guess.

Side note, my lv 8 Wizard (2H Axe) clears "The Cathedral" faster then my lv 13 DH (2x 22DPS XBow)... Kinda sad, but DH looks like it should have strong gear scaling by lv 60 endgame.

I found that using a 1h xbow and a quiver now that they have dmg seems to be the way to go, at least thats the case with my 25dps bow with light dmg, and my quiver with 3-8dmg and +18dex

Another thing I should say is, I have done some more playing around with Strafe and the passive vengence, and straights are not as dire with the move as I predicted b4. Granted you wont be able to just chain it like you could with d2 ww, but in a 4 player game especially around elites you should be able to keep it up long enough that using say the chakram shield rune and the dmg runed caltrops in combo with strafe should take down mobs quick enough to at least keep you dropping orbs with some frequency. Needless to say its not going to be an early build because the chakram rune isnt avaliable till i think 51.. but it could be kind of fun to try it out using something like this.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#hWRbUk!bfc!baZZ
now obviously this doesnt reflect the current skills as some are drasticly different such as

the strafe rune throws grenades for 144% dmg instead of increasing speed like the current one says
Chakram does 50% wep dmg for 120sec shield instead of 100% for 40
Caltrops does 45% dmg instead of the listed 52%
and obviously Shadow power is a life regen ability instead of attack speed
and who knows what the runes for it and prep are going to be, but if prep for example has the same cost disc refils hatred full one it has now it should be a good addition, especially if you could activate it while strafing like you can the caltrops currently.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]