Diablo® III

HEADON! Apply directly to the forehead!

I thought the whole Point of imbedding the stone in his head was because he thought he could contain the Power withing him, and keep evil from spreading throughout the lands, but the evil overcame him and he became the next incarnation of Diablo etc... didn't you guys watch the cut scenes from Diablo 2?

The First time I beat Diablo 1 my jaw hit the floor too ;)
Reply Quote
The devil made him do it. ;)

Kaivax's explanation makes sense though. Imagine what kind of anguish Aidan went through getting to Diablo and having to not only confront and kill his own resurrected father. but, his mother dead by his hands the kingdom in ruins and then finding his little brother was dead and used as the demon's host as well. Not to mention that Diablo was probably working his mojo on his psyche the entire time. I'd imagine Diablo could have made the idea of a swift death a very appealing way out.
Reply Quote
The warrior's true goal was to become Diablo all along. You never guessed!
Reply Quote
wow those commercials were really annoying, at one point I think they aired 3 back to back.
Reply Quote
He pried the stone from the forehead of Diablo...so he assumed that's how it works.
Reply Quote
If you put the soulstone up your bung hole do you become a pink-hued, slightly flamboyant diablo?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
For the record, Diablo influenced the warriors mind to do this, because he needs a mortal host to exist most quickly on the mortal plane. Diablo essentially convinced the warrior that to truly banish Diablo he must thrust the soulstone into his own body.

Obviously that is not what happened.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
hmmm..
should I go talk to someone about these Diablo thoughts I'm haivng.....or just jam this soulstone in my forehead to fix this situation.

...whack! Yea...that kinda hurts.

I could understand the Barbarian deciding this, but the other two seem intelligent.
Reply Quote
02/22/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Kaivax
It seemed to me like the original hero/wanderer was incredibly tormented by the stone, and was trying to kill himself with it when he did that.

I don't think so.

"The Soulstone burns with hellfire as an eerie red glow blurs your vision. Fresh blood flows into your eyes, and you begin to hear the tormented whispers of the damned. You have done what you knew must be done. The essence of diablo is contained... for now.

You pray that you have become strong enough to contain the demon and keep him at bay. Although you have been fortified by your quest, you can still feel him clawing his way up from the dark recesses of your soul.

Fighting to retain control, your thoughts turn toward the ancient mystic lands of the far east. Perhapos there, beyond the desolate wastes of Aranoch you will find an answer. Or perhaps salvation."
Reply Quote
Seems to me like that would be a direct contradiction to both the previous lore and the retconned lore.

I know right? You'd think a Blue might be a little more up on the lore but meh?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
well you know thought it would fix his headache
Reply Quote
He thought it was a fancy beer can.
Reply Quote
This can't be the official reasoning right? I always thought it made more sense that diablo was already corrupting him and was like: put me in you (giggity).

plus i thought it was stated officially in d2 that he was trying to "contain diablo" in himself, thinking he had the will to do so
Reply Quote
86 Human Rogue
the reason is actually explained in the lore. Diablo accounted for the possibility that someone out there could kick his !@#, so he hid at the bottom of the entire mess of catacombs and put a spell on the entire cathedral. It was a subtle spell and wold require a long time to take its desired effects, but if an adventurer was actually able to fight his wall all the way down to diablo himself, he would have exposed himself for more than long enough.

Basically the spell made it so that by the time said adventurer made it down to diablo, it would have manipulated him into believing that the only way to contain diablo was to ram the soulstone into the skull of an extremely powerful mortal, and you yourself was the only viable option. Thus, even if diablo was killed, it only meant he got a new, stronger host for free.
Reply Quote
Well he took the stone out of Leoric's son's head. As that was his only reference to go off of he must have felt that the soulstone would only work if it was in his head.

Taking a more whimsical approach it could be that the location of a soulstone's implantation into a host depends on the affinity of the stone. Terror is an aspect of the mind and thus the Lord of Terror's stone must be near the mind. Destruction could be argued to be a result of emotions gone awry and thus the Lord of Destruction's stone should be near the heart; thus why Tal'Rasha was stabbed in the heart with it and why the Baal of the D2 expansion wears the stone on a necklace over his chest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]