Diablo® III

Optional "Lock-in" skills @lvl60 for +mf/gf

I have posted this idea in response to the growing concern from many players that skills will be swapped often for different encounters. So far, I have found most people think this is an idea worth considering.

How it works:
- Upon gaining level 60, characters have the ability to lock-in their skills. This would likely be done in town, at anytime, and is optional
- While skills are locked-in, player gains more magic find, gold find, or both. The amount should be high enough to encourage players to do it, but not so high that it seems required
- You can make yourself "unlocked" in town for a significant gold cost. So, you would be back to free swapping every 15 seconds

The nice thing about this is that it gives players an incentive to finalize a "build." But it does not punish the players who like to be able to swap out their skills. Also, you have plenty of time to test different builds up to level 60, and continue testing in inferno if you desire. And players that lock-in don't gain a combat advantage over people that don't.

I would rather not turn this into another thread about whether or not skill swapping is a problem. In my opinion, in inferno difficulty it is a problem (and many would agree). Rather I am interested in hearing other solutions if this one is not good for some reason (that I cannot really think of). To the people that are going to argue for keeping full skill swapping, please just don't bother. Blizzard is already on your side there, and they have no plans to penalize someone that likes swapping skills. Plus, this idea does not negatively impact you in anyway.
Edited by TaigaKirdApe on 2/28/2012 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have posted this idea in response to the growing concern from many players that skills will be swapped often for different encounters. So far, I have found most people think this is an idea worth considering.

How it works:
-Upon gaining level 60, characters have the ability to lock-in their skills. This would likely be done in town, at anytime, and is optional
While skills are locked-in, player gains more magic find, gold find, or both. The amount should be high enough to encourage players to do it, but not so high that it seems required
You can unlock your skills in town for a significant gold cost

This is so counter productive with what they want for the game. It's a nice try but this is truly a very bad suggestion.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Flummox
So I could "lock in" skills for a gold-find bonus, clear floor after floor, unlock those skills in town and continue on my merry way?

Miss the part where I mention that it would be a significant gold cost to unlock?
Reply Quote
You're pretty much talking about "respecing" and the "costs of it" to "unlock". Granted you're not calling it that, but that's pretty much what you're talking about.

Pretty much all hardcore players are gonna have 3 sets of gear. MF gear, GF gear, and your regular progression gear. A MF or GF set, would easily spoil your idea because for what you're talking about to be teasable it'd have to be a small bonus. Anything larger would punish people for not "locking in". Granted it doesn't give a combat advantage, but it drastically changes your game experience. More gold = being able to buy better stuff in the AH or sell the gold. More MF = better gear drops, which would lead to better gear you could be using or selling in the AH. Or use for trade, which again goes to what I mentioned earlier: It would drastically change your game experience and punish people for not "locking-in"
Edited by Ace on 2/27/2012 10:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Offering an incentive to players to only use a few skills defeats the purpose of having so many different runes and skills.
Reply Quote
Meh. Seems a bit of a clunkiy implementation. Anyway, having any sort of non-reversable decision (or onerous cost for making a decision) is sort of against the design philosophy they're going for.

Why not just have the ability to create a "No-Skill-Swap" game. The skill screen UI is disabled. No bonuses or penalties. Penalties for not playing the "right" way (or even implied penalties via lack of a bonus) aren't really that fun anyway. You and the like-minded people you're playing with are locked in for the duration of the game. Maybe some separate achievements when completing the game without swaping skills.

It has the appeal of enforcing a certain way of playing for the entire duration of the game. You and the others you are playing with really have different "builds" you've committed to, even if you're the same class. The idea also doesn't impact anyone negatively. It's just a more challenging way to play the game. Even if you discover you don't like playing like this, you can always just start up a new game.
Edited by Demiwraith on 2/27/2012 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ace sums it up well. While I really wouldn't mind what you propose, I find it rather unnecessary, and probably a waste of development time/money. Unless it would be fairly easy to implement? I could not speculate on such things.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 10:23 PMPosted by Ace
Granted it doesn't give a combat advantage, but it drastically changes your game experience. More gold = being able to buy better stuff in the AH or sell the gold. More MF = better gear drops, which would lead to better gear you could be using or selling in the AH. Or use for trade, which again goes to what I mentioned earlier: It would drastically change your game experience and punish people for not "locking-in"

Not sure where "drastically" is coming from. The mf/gold bonus would be relatively small. Also, players that choose not to swap are not negatively affected.
Reply Quote

02/27/2012 10:08 PMPosted by TaigaKirdApe
Miss the part where I mention that it would be a significant gold cost to unlock?

02/27/2012 10:52 PMPosted by TaigaKirdApe
Not sure where "drastically" is coming from. The mf/gold bonus would be relatively small. Also, players that choose not to swap are not negatively affected.

So let me get this straight, you'd punish people for wanting to unlock with a "significant gold cost", but reward those same players with a "relatively small" bonus? lol, what's the point then? Reread my original post.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Ace
So let me get this straight, you'd punish people for wanting to unlock with a "significant gold cost", but reward those same players with a "relatively small" bonus? lol, what's the point then? Reread my original post.

People would not lock-in unless they are relatively certain they are content with their build, and therefore would never have to pay the cost to unlock.

This idea is meant as a compromise, as the community is pretty divided on this from what I have read on the forum.
Edited by TaigaKirdApe on 2/27/2012 11:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think an incentive for locking into a build is a good idea, but this approach isn't that great.
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 12:18 AMPosted by D3BETA
I think an incentive for locking into a build is a good idea, but this approach isn't that great.

What would be another option for incentive? I don't think it can give an advantage in combat. (at least Blizzard wouldn't want that)
Edited by TaigaKirdApe on 2/28/2012 12:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
This will potentially creates so called "Best lock skill build" or "Best final build", etc..

Which is VERY VERY undesirable, I would not like to see this happening.
Reply Quote
This will potentially creates so called "Best lock skill build" or "Best final build", etc..

Which is VERY VERY undesirable, I would not like to see this happening.

Then Blizzard has failed at balancing if this happens. They already stated they will monitor skill usage, and adjust skills accordingly if some are too strong.

You will actually see more variety in builds if locking is possible. With total free swapping, you will see very similar builds based on where you are fighting. Imagine the Diablo fight from D2, and put a wizard from D3 into that fight. Think every wizard might pick these skills? Well they should...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aijX!df!c
Reply Quote
I think people like being able to switch builds, and so does blizzard, don't see how this would help the game at all
Reply Quote
But it does not punish the players who like to be able to swap out their skills.

- While skills are locked-in, player gains more magic find, gold find, or both. The amount should be high enough to encourage players to do it, but not so high that it seems required
- You can make yourself "unlocked" in town for a significant gold cost. So, you would be back to free swapping every 15 seconds

If you could be downvoted more than once I would do so. In a game where finding items is 100% of the game, any penalty to that is "punishing" them for not going with the most optimal path to get items the fastest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]