Diablo® III

Optional "Lock-in" skills @lvl60 for +mf/gf

Pretty pointless.

Inferno is going to be throwing 4x modified enemies at you which you might need a special ability to kill.

The ability to change is good.

Adding a gold dump just to end up getting more gold/magic find would just promote farming 1 area you're able to farm instead of just playing through the entire inferno and farming all kinds of areas. Which is exactly what blizzard wants people to do.

Play the entire game, not just 1 portion.

/sips coffee
Reply Quote
Personally, I think the idea here is sound.

There IS a camp of people who want some incentive and struggle related to figuring out a balanced skill set rather than tp and skill swap before every boss.

I am not supporting one camp or the other, I am just saying there are clearly 2 camps.

Is it insane to propose systems that work for both?

I think Blizz will actually patch in some incentive not to TP skill swap before bosses. It seems this is silly, but will inexorably happen.
Reply Quote
In fact, it seems most simple to give two options that can be toggled in say 24 hour or X gold increments:

1. As-is skills (flexible)

2. Skills that you may not swap but gain some small % buff (rigid)

Then people can decide for themselves.
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Ritalynn
Adding a gold dump just to end up getting more gold/magic find would just promote farming 1 area you're able to farm instead of just playing through the entire inferno and farming all kinds of areas. Which is exactly what blizzard wants people to do.

This is a good point. People might "lock-in" a build and then farm one area. Also, I understand why people like being able to switch skills for different encounters. However, if they truly want players switching skills out for each encounter, then they need to implement UI that makes this easier. Players should have at least 2-3 loadouts, where they can switch between with 1 button (keeping cooldown at 15 seconds). Otherwise, as you approach boss battles you will have to wait for people as they fumble around changing their skills each time.
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 07:33 AMPosted by TaigaKirdApe

This is a good point. People might "lock-in" a build and then farm one area. Also, I understand why people like being able to switch skills for different encounters. However, if they truly want players switching skills out for each encounter, then they need to implement UI that makes this easier. Players should have at least 2-3 loadouts, where they can switch between with 1 button (keeping cooldown at 15 seconds). Otherwise, as you approach boss battles you will have to wait for people as they fumble around changing their skills each time.

Saving lockouts IMO really promotes cookie cutter builds more than anything.
If you're approching a skill change every time looking at your skills you're bound to see more options instead of just locking in one and switching to it on the fly.

What people seem to not get is the lockout timer, is per skills o i mean you could change 1 skill and keep fighting with all your others.

Not every skill change is going to require you to change your entire makeup.

I mean people won't fumble the more they play. And personally. I'd rather a little fumbling and give me down time to smoke or drink something than just going full throttle 24/7 and just getting annoyed by pounding my head against a brick wall.

/sips coffee

I've had way to much this morning.
Reply Quote
If you could be downvoted more than once I would do so. In a game where finding items is 100% of the game, any penalty to that is "punishing" them for not going with the most optimal path to get items the fastest.

You understand this is an option right? If a player feels like they can get items faster by locking-in at increased magic find, then that is fine. At the same time, if a player feels like they would rather swap out skills and kill things faster, than that is fine too. In terms of items/hour, I would suspect the players to be about even. One kills slightly slower with slightly higher magic find.

I am still trying to understand the mentality of a player that is for skill swapping at 60, and against this. If you like skill swapping at level 60, then you like options, right? This is just another option.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I don't think the idea is to switch out before every encounter. I think moreso as someone else posted that if possibly your struggling to kill something and a specific skill would help you. Will there be a few that swap out constantly? yes most likely, but i believe the average gamer will pick a spec and play with it the great majority of the time and maybe switch out skills every once in awhile just to do something new.

That being said i also believe a great amount of people might skill swap if they come upon a rare that beats them down and a skill they dont have equipped might be useful in defeating them will swap out and yes there are also those that wont want to and just bypass it all together.

I think there are some people out there that are under the illusion that the majority of people will be changing skills out every 30 seconds and this is just not going to be the case, but I can definately see myself using at least 2 different skill sets depending if I am playing with friends or solo amd what is proposed here would punish me for doing that.

You want to struggle? Then go ahead, but in no way shape or form should you be rewarded for not using the tools that were put in place for you to use.
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Amandalyie
if I am playing with friends or solo amd what is proposed here would punish me for doing that.

Everyone understands this is an optional lock-in right? Why do people think adding an incentive punishes those that don't take advantage of it?

Also, have fun playing a monk with pugs if system stays the same in inferno. "Oh man, come on change your mantra that one doesn't help us." Or "WTH where are your heals?!? Switch in heals bro"
Edited by TaigaKirdApe on 2/28/2012 9:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Amandalyie
You want to struggle?

I actually dont want to struggle. But given the difficulty of inferno, I will have to use optimized builds. Blizzard will balance inferno bosses with the assumption that players are using optimal skills for each encounter, otherwise the encounters would be too easy.

How interesting will it be to see 90% of barbarians using cleave and whirlwinds against packs of enemies, and frenzy and weapon throw versus bosses, just as an example.
Reply Quote
I don't think this is a bad idea. People here seem to think you should be allowed to swap skill all the time. What's the point of only have 6 skill slot then ? Why not just let you use all the skills at the same time. I think blizzard wants to limit your action so that you have to balance a build around 6 skills. They've been trying to figure out a way for people to stop swapping skills all the time, first the altar, now the cd.

The way it is right now, you can swap anything you want and keep going using your other skills. Sure that skill get a small cd when you do so but really it barely matters. Making players create balanced all around build should be rewarded over someone who just continuously swap all his skill.

Again, keep in mind there is a need for limitation here so that we have a better balance, this system does not balance well if you were allowed all your skill at all time, even with a 30sec cd before you were to use them.
Reply Quote
This is just silly. You're basically paying gold to improve gold/magic find. Just use that gold to but items on the AH that do the same. Your system is encouraging repetitive gameplay.
Reply Quote
You could always just not swap skills, if you don't want to...
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Splew
You could always just not swap skills, if you don't want to...

I hate this argument.. What if the skill bar had 20 slots on it, and I was arguing that to make the game better and more compelling, you should only have 6 slots. Would I only equip 6 skills and leave the rest blank? Of course not, but I would think the game has lost all customization.

With the current mechanic, I will take advantage of swapping. Most likely it will involve switching 2-3 skills (1-2 of those really just switching a rune). I just feel like I have not made any true decisions with my character.
Edited by TaigaKirdApe on 2/28/2012 10:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]