Diablo® III

Combination Strike (confusion)

Hey all,

3 strikes = 1 combo

CS = every generator you strike +8% dmg for 3 sec ... so if i generate 6 strikes within 3 sec, it will (6x8)% ?

*Every different generator , does that mean just different from the previous strike? eg, 1,2,1 / 2,1,2 ? or different as in 1,2,3 / 2,1,3 etc?
Reply Quote
I deleted first post...should have just edited it...but my assumption is as long as the actually generator is different it should give u the buff. example: 1 2 1, 2 1 2, 2 2 1, 1 1 2, etc. My question is does it stack with itself: example: 1 2 3 = +16% or is it just a static 8%, I assume the later which makes it meh compared to the other passives imo.
Reply Quote
if its 1,2,3 = + 24% dmg for 3 sec ... many thread has discussed this part ... my question is .... within 3 sec, if i can achieve more than 3 strikes....more than a combo ....will 8% stack up onto of the 1st combo 24% ? lol
Reply Quote
It is every different generator used. if you grab every single generator and can manage to hit with all of them within 3 seconds, then yes you should be able to get above 24% damage. But at that point you are gimping your build so hard it won't be worth it.

I predict it being a separate 8% buff per generator. so you would have buffs like "combination strike (fists of thunder)","combination strike (deadly reach)" and each would have their own 3 second timer which is refreshed by the skill that originally created it. So long as you can juggle different skills within that 3 second window you should be able to apply as many of those separate buffs as you have spirit generators in your build.

Note: even if it functions like i have described, they probably wont display each separate buff on your screen. It could get crowded quickly if they did it that way.
Reply Quote
Sort of like this, except the stack will be refreshed with every different generator you use.

So you go generator A -> B -> C

You will have 24% buff for the 3 sec starting when you use C.

The question is will the buff refresh if you keep using the same generator after that, like

A -> B -> C -> C - > C....

Because that will make the skill actually have some use.

You'll probably be able to get in a spender inbetween refreshes.
Reply Quote
So does the first strike give you the 8% buff or does it only activate on the 2nd different strike. Also would just alternating between two different strike constantly stack the buff within a 3 second duration.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I would assume if you use 3 different gens in sequence it will give you 24%. The big question is whether each different gen after that refreshes the 24% or if you have to continue to use all three gens to keep it up.

Ideal:
1-1-2, 1-1-3 (now at 24%). spamming 1-1-3 keeps 24% up

More likely:
1-1-2, 1-1-3 (now at 24%). spamming 1-1-3 causes the '2' to fall off, dropping to 16%.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
It is every different generator used

This.

How are people asking questions about this skill when it says it right in the text? Your 1,2,3 combos will only give you 1 application of it.

I don't think this is right at all. It plainly says "each differerent spirit generator ability" not every combo. You should get 3 stacks if you use 3 different generators in a combo. Its just a question of the refreshing mechanic and what it takes to keep it at 24%.
Edited by Flapjak on 3/14/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, they removed Combination Strike from the game, so it's kind of moot point.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
WHAAAAT!! I'm sad now.

That wasn't in the patch notes. You sure?
Reply Quote
I've heard from Beta testers that it was replaced with a new version of Beacon of Ytar, one the reduces all cooldowns by 15 seconds. I'm not Beta myself so I can't promise that it's true, though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
CS requires lvl 25 so beta testers wouldn't know much about it.

I know Beacon of Ytar used to be in the game and was replaced with CS. Now its back, but I haven't seen anything saying CS has been removed. I have now checked the unofficial notes as well with no mention of CS being out of the game.

I think its still in. Hope so anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
If you can keep 24% up with the combo rotation you were already going to use, that makes it the best offensive passive available. If you have to change your playstyle to make it work, or if you're build only uses 1 or 2 spirit gens, its probably not the best choice.

Guiding light is also nice and easier to manage if you're grouped. I'll be using both, so long as using multiple offensive passives doesn't cripple my survivability. I'd imagine combo strike would be the first to go if that were the case.
Reply Quote
In Beta we have both CS and Beacon of Ytar (which decreases cooldowns only by 15%), but of course it may be changed in patch 15.

Some pics to prove:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2378z7.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/20iz79z.jpg
Reply Quote
While the text does read "..each different spirit generator..." Does it activate if you were to use a combo of only 2 spirit generators. 1, 2, 1 ?
Reply Quote
If you can keep 24% up with the combo rotation you were already going to use, that makes it the best offensive passive available. If you have to change your playstyle to make it work, or if you're build only uses 1 or 2 spirit gens, its probably not the best choice.

Guiding light is also nice and easier to manage if you're grouped. I'll be using both, so long as using multiple offensive passives doesn't cripple my survivability. I'd imagine combo strike would be the first to go if that were the case.

I assume Guiding Light will proc when you use a follower. They added followers so that we would not miss out on "group play" and I have to assume this is one of the reasons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]