Diablo® III

Quick thought about dying in HC mode...

Was just thinking it'd be cool if there was a feature for Hardcore mode where if you died a notification of what killed you and where you died would be sent to your friends at the very moment.

"Your_Friend was slain by Red Vex in Lazarus' Chamber. His deeds of valor will be remembered"

and of course

"Your_Friend was slain by Lag in (Area). His deeds of valor shall be remembered"

also

"Your_Friend was slain by Your_Other_Friend in the Arena (via Team Deathmatch or what have you)" =P

Was just thinking back to the Diablo 2 days where when you died you ended up /f m'ing everyone anyways, and answering the thousand questions that followed. Just thought it would be a funny/cool feature for HC'ers, where death is a big deal.
Edited by Aranock on 2/27/2012 12:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
not a bad idea

/support
Reply Quote
This would be in the form of a private message to only your friends, not public in any way. Also, unless you have like 100 friends who die all the time in Hardcore, i doubt it would become regular by any means. Again, i stress this wouldn't be for softcore mode as dying would be regular, common, and insignificant.

Then again, if you had a billion friends who died all the time in hardcore, you either shouldn't be playing hardcore...

or maybe a toggle for those that just can't handle the extra message.

I can't see this is a bad idea
Edited by Aranock on 2/27/2012 1:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Good idea.
Reply Quote
Well it could work like this: Under gameplay options, we could opt-in to real-id Hardcore Death Announcement. But I think it may end up getting spammed if just on its own. I would consider having it max level. Than it would be rare, and if it happens, it would be a big deal.

Would be funny though, making it so we could see any level 60 play in Hc dying, like a death announcement and everyone online would see it (of course opt-in). Each time the character would die, we would all feel for the person.
Reply Quote
It would be great if it was a worldwide or region thing (US/EU/OC) etc. But it would in the a world events tab and not interfering with your normal chat. Would bring abit more community style to the game seeing what is happening around you.

Other things could be maybe someone finding a super rare loot in HC and a world event message would come up saying *JoeSmith has just defeated Mob1 and found the item [item2]*

Theres many community/world events that could popup.

Heck you could even have one for achievements like someone reaching max HC level (would be the best world event message) to see who actually managed to get up there.

In the options menu, all these world event popups would be changeable by turning them on or off - so you might have achievements on, HC defeated off, rare item found on etc.

Just some ideas.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Nilrem
Well it could work like this: Under gameplay options, we could opt-in to real-id Hardcore Death Announcement. But I think it may end up getting spammed if just on its own. I would consider having it max level. Than it would be rare, and if it happens, it would be a big deal.

I'm way more for just friends list people. I mean, ya if someone on top 10 HC ladder die it's a pretty dig deal of course, but I think friends dying (especially people you actually know outside of the game) is an even bigger deal than some unknown high level guy (and that's IF there's a ladder system in release).

Who knows, just speculating because one thing I really remember is back in D2 when you'd die, you'd get this response from your friends ...

"What? Sucks man! How'd you die?" "What killed you?!?!" "How did it happen?!" Etc etc. I don't know too much programming, but I think this would only be a couple lines of code and not time consuming.

Thanks for the positive responses so far!
Edited by Aranock on 2/27/2012 3:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Very nifty idea, I hope they see this.
Reply Quote
I like this idea... for friends only though.
Reply Quote
Great idea, my friends and I are all HC people so we'd love this
Reply Quote
Interesting idea. Which means it probably won't happen. Only bad Ideas seem to be making their way into the game :P
Reply Quote
I like it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]