Diablo® III

HC Dueling Idea

This is sort of like a compromise between losing your character completely in a HC duel and not. I suggest that when you are defeated in a HC duel, your character becomes locked for a period of time, allowing it time to "recover" and heal its wounds in a inn or whatnot. This keeps some of the HC feel when doing a HC duel since it's not like you can just keep on playing if you die, and you obviously aren't going to be happy with not being able to play on that character for a while, but at the same time it doesn't make HC dueling a ridiculously insane idea to someone who has put a lot of time and effort into their character, especially since Blizzard has stated that they don't plan to balance the game much around PvP.

This lock period could be anywhere from a day to a week, month, or more! Personally I think that a week would be a pretty nice amount of time, but that's just my opinion.
Reply Quote
I'de just like to see the deceased char's name be put in the d3 hardcore "obituaries". It would rock to have an old character put there, a literal place in the sancuary...
Reply Quote
I think the best is just let the winner take a piece of gear off their opponents character.

That way there's a reward and consequence, but it's not like losing your whole lv60 HC character.

Reply Quote
No way. You want to play HC man up and do it. If you want to live after you fail then play SC simple.
Reply Quote
Or make hardcore pvp be full loot. You die to another player you drop all your items and they can loot it. This isn't even that big of a deal in D3 since you can craft items so easily but still adds that andrenalin rush that hardcore players go for.
Reply Quote
I kind of like the OP's idea. While not completely dying, you are still getting punished. The idea of HC dueling and perma death sounds like the ultimate solution, but who's really going to duel at lvl 60 with a HC character? Maybe 1% of people?!?! Either way, its not going to be very popular and by lessening the punishment a little will certainly open up the dueling playing field.

IMO, when entering a HC duel, both players should have the option of dueling to DEATH (perma death) or for a small character lock lasting days or weeks.
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Shaman
naw, the very idea of HC PVP is awesome and should be incredibly intimidating to consider, it should be reserved for what it is. A duel of titans with balls the size of watermelons, engaging in an activity few mortals would even consider.
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 01:11 AMPosted by ContagiousB
IMO, when entering a HC duel, both players should have the option of dueling to DEATH (perma death) or for a small character lock lasting days or weeks.

Yes, that would be great.

02/28/2012 01:03 AMPosted by D3BETA
No way. You want to play HC man up and do it. If you want to live after you fail then play SC simple.

Honestly, HC dueling with perma-death will be fun at first, but seriously what kind of fool will enter a battle knowing that either you or your opponent will permanently lose their character at the end. Maybe if you're a low level, but what kind of stupid lvl60 would agree to this? The few that do will be weeded out after they lose their first lvl60 HC duel anyways, and since every duel has a loser it won't be long before no one does them at all. If you think that someone's going to keep on dueling with their endgame hardcore characters after they've already lost one, then you're probably dreaming. If the only option is perma-death, HC dueling might as well only exist during the first month or so.
Edited by SGxAnytimE on 2/28/2012 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I don't have a problem with HC duels not being to the death. Gives you an option of trying out skills with a friend or even a random person without the fear of losing your toon permanently. I'll use WOW as an example (even though everyone will hate me for it), but in that game if you duel it is not to the death.

I would rather see an option that alows you to duel to the death and why not if you win you get all that HC toons gold.

What will happen if you don't even at very low levels people are going to find out what classes are op'd over other classes because they have already stated they are not concentrating on balancing pvp. Which will result in no HC characters dueling or people only accepting when they know they have a clear advantage.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I would like to be able to "spar", or whatever word sounds better, which isn't to the death. But I think an actual duel would be awesome, where one person HAS to die, and you cannot forfeit, or run away.

I really don't see why dueling isn't in, it's not at all similar to how you could PK in D2. Like in WoW, you can't duel unless you both agree, although I'd like a limit to how many duel requests you can make in a given time. Also, prohibit the accept screen from popping up in the middle of the screen, and only being able to initiate while out of combat, to counter people trying to grief others by attempting to initiate a duel the other party did not mean to initiate via an unexpected pop-up during combat, for example.
Reply Quote
There won't be HC PVP perma-death for the sole reason that Blizzard is not balancing PVP. They're only adding PVP to placate the vocal minority, but they've constantly stated that D3 is PvE first and foremost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/28/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Zane
Also, prohibit the accept screen from popping up in the middle of the screen, and only being able to initiate while out of combat, to counter people trying to grief others by attempting to initiate a duel the other party did not mean to initiate via an unexpected pop-up during combat, for example.

Better yet if you are going to allow "sparing" or "dueling" period why not just put some sort of arena outside of one of the towns and make it so they can only be initiated there and once you accept the gates close and no running away.

eliminates spam, griefing, and little girls.

I understand the option won't be in release and also that the game is definately not being balanced around pvp, but I can see why people out there would very much like the option to beat on of there friends down for bragging rights.
Edited by Amandalyie on 2/28/2012 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
yeah but didn't gladiators spar to hone their skills before stepping into the prime time? What's wrong with allowing people to practice before they risk losing their toon forever. Did you ever think this might make it so more people might actually try it because they can practice a bit first before they get smoked? Or do you just want it so the majority of your kills are on noobs that wont ever try it again because they die in 3 seconds?
Edited by Amandalyie on 2/28/2012 8:52 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]