Diablo® III

Your Understanding of Angels

What is ones understanding of how angels work?

There is Clay (Mankind)
There is Light (Angels)
There is Fire (Jinn)- Diablo falls under this category

Angels do not have free will they can only obey God.

So in this lore there should be no fallen angels for they cannot disobey.

Unlike Humans and Jins we have free will and can choose to be good or evil.
Reply Quote
How they work biologically:
In their pure existence, angels are of a divine essence of light and sound. Radiance marked with beautiful harmony.

How they work "job-wise":
The archangels of the angiris council are living representations of the chief virtues of anu. They basically are kinda high-ranked archangels, so they are the boss up in the heavens.

(I quoted this information from the book of cain)

EDIT: Chris Metzen even said at Blizzcon 2011 at the Lore-Panel that the angiris councel rules and administrates the High Heavens. :)
Edited by D3BETA on 2/28/2012 2:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Yeah, and actually there is no GOD in the diablo universe.
The archangels are pure representations and mantainers of the order and the balance.
You can confirm this on the "prophecy", which mentions their virtues being corrupted and the chaos being stablished around sanctuary and the high heavens
Reply Quote
What is ones understanding of how angels work?

There is Clay (Mankind)
There is Light (Angels)
There is Fire (Jinn)- Diablo falls under this category

Angels do not have free will they can only obey God.

So in this lore there should be no fallen angels for they cannot disobey.

Unlike Humans and Jins we have free will and can choose to be good or evil.

is this from Islamic perspective? this game has no gods, so angels have free will.
angels just represent order while demons represent chaos.

in the bible, angels are nothing but messenger of gods, they are like Hermes from greek mythology.
Reply Quote
Anu the one? Totally a god in the diablo universe.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
No dude, ANU and Thathamet (maybe i misspelled this) are not any kind of GODs in daiblo universe IMO.
They were indeed powerful and greater beings which came to gave birth to everything we know as angels, high heavens, burning helss and their being like greater and lesser evils, and archangels.

However, theres no mention or belief in any of the book lore or game lore, that support this idea of Gods.

Its more probable that not even the archangels know about their origins since they never mentioned it. But Blizzard just introduced this lore now with the release of the new Daiblo. So we could expect something more about them but definately not a God.

I would say that Trag'oul would be the creature which is nearly a god in this universe.
Reply Quote
Well i dont mean Anu was literally a god. But as far as a godly definition goes. He's got some of the key points that you could attribute to our definition of a god.
First being in the universe. Check.
Omniscient. Check.
Created the universe. Check.
Effects nothing in a direct way. Check.
Created a group of moronically pious zealots who seem fairly intent on ruining mankind. Check.
That sounds like a definition of god to me.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
FAIR ENOUGH
Reply Quote
lol Logic for the win!
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
Well i dont mean Anu was literally a god. But as far as a godly definition goes. He's got some of the key points that you could attribute to our definition of a god.
First being in the universe. Check.
Omniscient. Check.
Created the universe. Check.
Effects nothing in a direct way. Check.
Created a group of moronically pious zealots who seem fairly intent on ruining mankind. Check.
That sounds like a definition of god to me.

Well, the only reason he doesn't affect anything in a direct way is because he's dead...
When he was alive all he did was fight the seven-headed dragon, and that was before most of creation existed.

He also didn't exactly create The Universe, though he certainly did have the power to create planes of reality. Yet the only two currently known stable planes of reality (aside from Sanctuary) The Heavens and The Hells only came about as a result of Anu's and the Dragon's deaths. The Heaven's coalesced around and from Anu's corpse. Likewise the Hells spawned from the rotting carcass of the Dragon. They weren't really Creators as we understand godly creators (ie: ones that actively sought to create the world). The Heavens and The Hells were just a byproduct of their demise.

Also, Sanctuary wasn't created by Anu, although one could make the argument that it is because of Anu that Sanctuary could be created. Inarius, an angel, created Sanctuary (albeit with Anu's Eye, aka The Worldstone).

As for Pious Zealots... I'm not sure whom you're referring to. If you mean the angels, again they only came about after Anu had died. They're a byproduct of his death, and embody the virtues of his beliefs. If you meant the Zakurum, those were technically the disciples of a prophet whom experienced a vision of Uldyssian's sacrifice and death.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now with all that said, I would certainly agree that Anu had God-like Powers, but he's never been worshiped as a God.

What I find more curious than anything else is how powerful the Nephalum appear to be capable of becoming if Uldyssian is any indication. With both the potential for Good and Evil, it's as if the Nephalum embody Anu's power and potential prior to him shedding his dark half. Like the Universe has almost come full circle with the impending rise of the Nephalum. Good and Evil have finally been reconciled into a single species again.
Reply Quote
I agree. I was thinking about that just today while reading book of cain when i was on downtime at work. (About the whole, Nephalum being embodiments of anu's pre-dragon power and potential)
Touche on thwarting all my pro-god arguments as well. Though they were just in jest.
As for the pious zealots i was talking about the angels. Though he (anu) didn't actively create them or the universe, he's just as responsible for their creation as he was the dragon. Inadvertent creation doesn't necessarily free one from the title of being the creator.
We, humans, created drug resistant bugs, no one was planning it, but all the same, we're pretty damn responsible.
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
02/29/2012 05:07 PMPosted by D3BETA
Touche on thwarting all my pro-god arguments as well. Though they were just in jest.

True, and I would agree that a lot of this depends on how each particular individual would define God. Anu certainly fits the definition of a being with god-like powers. It just might not fit the definition of a Creator God whom intentionally wrought the universe with a divine plan for its development and future.
Reply Quote
Really it depends if you're view of god is a bearded father figure in the sky. :P
Reply Quote
Ive read the sin wars trilogy, but im no master on diablo lore and what i learned from that was that rogue angels and demons came together and made Sanctuary.(Inarius and Lilith were key to this)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]