Diablo® III

Do skill rune bonuses scale with level?

In the old system, we had ranks of spells. Example:
- Rank 4 Crimson Energy armor = 120% resistance buff
- Rank 7 Crimson Energy armor = 180% resistance buff

I assume that the benefit of the skill rune scales with our level since they removed the ranks, right?

Anyone in beta test this yet?
Reply Quote
no, runes give flat bonuses, so you don't have to grind them for hours. It's a good change.
Reply Quote
02/22/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Robotgravy
no, runes give flat bonuses, so you don't have to grind them for hours. It's a good change.

... how is that a good change?

they've essentially nerfed all the wow factor of the spells.

Split Magic Missile could fire up to 8 missiles simultaneously at rank 7. Now it is permanently stuck at whatever amount is in the beta (3?).
Reply Quote
No, they've removed a significant aspect of player progression with the change.
Reply Quote
I thought they said the runes would be equal to runs 5-6 of the old system.

I was wrong.

"The new skill rune system does not have ranks, and we’ve instead made each around the equivalent to what the rank 4 or 5 rune was previously."

This from Jay Wilson skills and rune change article.
Edited by Trenton on 2/22/2012 7:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
"The new skill rune system does not have ranks, and we’ve instead made each around the equivalent to what the rank 4 or 5 rune was previously."

This from Jay Wilson skills and rune change article.

Ah. Thanks for the quote.

Looks like they couldn't effectively balance 7 ranks. What a shame.
Reply Quote
02/22/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Collateral
No, they've removed a significant aspect of player progression with the change.

That depends on your perspective. If you go "Wow! I now do 20% more damage with rune effect! Fricken awesome!" Then yes, something is removed.

On the other hand, if you don't care as much about numbers, now you might go "Wow! I just unlocked a new skill rune! Fricken awesome!" Then something is added.
Reply Quote
For some reason I thought they were going to add item mods to boost rune effects. Like "+1 crimson rune effect." <--- that obviously sucks as an item mod definition, but you get what im saying?

I don't know where I got this from, but I thought I read it somewhere. Maybe someone else said it? I'm sure its been talked about. I think it would be cool. Like + to skills in d2 kinda. idk.
Reply Quote
No. They're static and boring and the growth associated with rune ranks has been removed. Now you get the 'explosive' boost in power as your blinding flash changes from a 3 second stun to a 4 second stun.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
From what I can tell without beta access, they did not actually use the 'Rank 4-5' of each rune in the old system, but seem to have chosen values all over the map.

Not sure why he phrased it that way.
Reply Quote
For some reason I thought they were going to add item mods to boost rune effects. Like "+1 crimson rune effect." <--- that obviously sucks as an item mod definition, but you get what im saying?

I don't know where I got this from, but I thought I read it somewhere. Maybe someone else said it? I'm sure its been talked about. I think it would be cool. Like + to skills in d2 kinda. idk.

It was mentioned in the reddit post that was posted a couple days before the patch came out. Although, if I recall it wasn't mentioned as a sure thing, rather a possibility. So here's hoping.

Yeah, I think it would be way cool. Thanks, im guna see if I can find that.
Reply Quote
This is the worst part of the new rune system. I don't care about the damage part, that can be rebalanced. But things where the actual skill is drastically effected, with way cooler effects being reduced due to lower level runes. I just wish they would have the rune effects level as you level.
Reply Quote
From what I can tell without beta access, they did not actually use the 'Rank 4-5' of each rune in the old system, but seem to have chosen values all over the map.

Not sure why he phrased it that way.
I keep being negative about it on the forums, but I can't help but suspect that maybe, just maybe, the rune effects they put in to the beta 13 patch weren't final, and that they might normalize them all to 4-5 for release.

Or maybe that's just me being silly.
Reply Quote
02/22/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Static
No. They're static and boring and the growth associated with rune ranks has been removed. Now you get the 'explosive' boost in power as your blinding flash changes from a 3 second stun to a 4 second stun.

That's a matter of opinion. Surely many people are disappointed that you can no longer upgrade your skill ranks, but some people prefer the current system, and others just don't care. One skill rune being underwhelming is hardly indicative of the entire system failing.
Reply Quote
02/22/2012 07:38 PMPosted by D3BETA
But things where the actual skill is drastically effected, with way cooler effects being reduced due to lower level runes. I just wish they would have the rune effects level as you level.

They could do that, or alternately there could be scrolls that level a skill rune.

They could keep it simple: Scroll Ranks 1-3 (beginner, advanced, master) with 1 being common so people can test out the improved effect, and 3 being incredibly rare.

Seems like a very simple fix to me.
Reply Quote
We're still in BETA... I highly doubt the system we have now will go live without further tweaks. Im pretty sure they can come up with a working compromise between what they had and what it is now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]