Diablo® III

Does This Bug Anyone Else? (Elective System)

Finally was able to visit my friend and give the new beta patch a decent look.

One thing that immediately struck me was that while the new skill system is...interesting (although it's actually even less intuitive than the last one) it has a new, weird limitation.

Skills that do not fall under a specific skill denomination *cannot* be bound to the mouse buttons 1 or 2 - even with the advanced 'elective' system enabled. This was especially noticeable on my Demon Hunter - I like Evasive Fire as my Hatred Generator and it works just fine. Under this new system though I can't use it as such unless I am willing to spam a number key.

It's not gamebreaking, but it's rather annoying.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Why wouldn't you just use elective mode then? The most it can ever do is keep you from doing what you want.
Reply Quote
02/26/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Freohr
Why wouldn't you just use elective mode then? The most it can ever do is keep you from doing what you want.

Regardless of using elective mode or not you now cannot bind certain skills to the mouse. Unless I have this totally wrong (only had last night to test)?
Reply Quote
this is noob-protection

imagine if a noob puts meteor on his left mouse button
he would be soon out of energy and unable to do anything

--> noob quits the game
Reply Quote
this is noob-protection

--> noob quits the game

Yeah, I get this. But I thought that was what the advanced setting was for (the one that allows us to move skills around). Why not allow us to assign the mouse buttons? At this point I am going to have to use macro software to play my DH the way I want (Evasive Fire as a generator) :|
Reply Quote
Certain skills cannot be bound to left click. Particularly ones that don't require your character to move in some way. It's intentional.
Reply Quote
02/26/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Starbird
(Evasive Fire as a generator)

do you have an idea how difficult it would be for our noob-friend to kill monsters with that constant back-flipping? :D

they would get insane
Reply Quote
02/26/2012 05:35 PMPosted by D3BETA
Certain skills cannot be bound to left click. Particularly ones that don't require your character to move in some way. It's intentional.

What about my example (Evasive Fire?). This is a hatred generator that works just fine as a main shot and has a nifty little defense tacked on.
Reply Quote

One thing that immediately struck me was that while the new skill system is...interesting (although it's actually even less intuitive than the last one) it has a new, weird limitation.

Skills that do not fall under a specific skill denomination *cannot* be bound to the mouse buttons 1 or 2 - even with the advanced 'elective' system enabled. This was especially noticeable on my Demon Hunter - I like Evasive Fire as my Hatred Generator and it works just fine. Under this new system though I can't use it as such unless I am willing to spam a number key.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the bug where you can't swap skills already on your hotbar?
Reply Quote

I posted something similar last night and was corrected. Turns out you can do it via elective mode but it's a pita. If you want Star go and check the Beta Feedback forums for my thread (just bumped it) and the solution is in there.
Reply Quote
i use evasive fire in the same way and unless im mistaken, you can still use it that way
Reply Quote
02/26/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Starbird
What about my example (Evasive Fire?). This is a hatred generator that works just fine as a main shot and has a nifty little defense tacked on.

I'm pretty sure evasive fire can be binded to mouse button (it can be in the skill calculator). The restrictions are not for 'preventing noobs from using to much resources'. They are to prevent you putting a skill on a mouse button that can't be aimed. If you can't aim the skill then it won't be available for mouse buttons, that is the only restriction.
Reply Quote

I posted something similar last night and was corrected. Turns out you can do it via elective mode but it's a pita. If you want Star go and check the Beta Feedback forums for my thread (just bumped it) and the solution is in there.

02/26/2012 06:01 PMPosted by SlayersofDia
i use evasive fire in the same way and unless im mistaken, you can still use it that way

Yeah, thanks :)

I was mistaken, you can still bind it (the how just seems a little tricky). Will give it a try again tomorrow.
Reply Quote
its actually just the left mouse button. they added a restriction this patch that prevents you from assigning certain skills to left click. wizard now has around 8 skills that cant be put on left click even with elective mode for example.
Reply Quote
(Evasive Fire as a generator)

do you have an idea how difficult it would be for our noob-friend to kill monsters with that constant back-flipping? :D

they would get insane

But people learn, and they use another skill, trial and error. If they know how to put one skill in the left button (since the original default skill is hungering arrow), they can put another skill there too
Edited by D3BETA on 2/26/2012 6:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just bound Evasive Fire to mouse 1, no problems. You have to turn Elective mode on first, which resets every time you start the game... so maybe you just forgot to turn it back on
Reply Quote
02/26/2012 06:33 PMPosted by tramik
I just bound Evasive Fire to mouse 1, no problems. You have to turn Elective mode on first, which resets every time you start the game... so maybe you just forgot to turn it back on

Yeah this is almost certainly it ^_^. Thanks!

Reply Quote
this is noob-protection

--> noob quits the game

Yeah but...he bought the game.

Know what I'm sayin? :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]