Diablo® III

Hardcore limitation, why ?

Hello,

I just don't understand why there is a limitation about Hardcore mode.
I don't get why I have to play through the game once in normal mode so I get to unlock this feature.
I can't consider playing in softcore mode, and I feel that it could turn out to be really boring to have to go through Normal mode twice.

This is just an unnecessary limitation here, I don't get it!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4062878642#10
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
02/27/2012 04:49 AMPosted by Pamela
I get it, but why be opposed to a system that let you do whatever you want to do?

I can't remember whatever the devs/CMs have said on the matter, but I imagine it is entirely to protect new players, and to protect their reputation from new players. It is very, very possible that a new player might click on Hardcore instead of the regular mode, and not realize that their character will die permanently.

And most of those new players, unfamiliar with the game, will die, due to lack of knowledge of the game mechanics, or because they don't know a deadly situation when they see one. Then, when they find out they have to start over entirely, they will become frustrated, because they have to start all over because the game did not teach them how to play well enough.

What forcing players to go through softcore first does, is it forces them to learn the mechanics, learn what can kill them and how. This is very important in the case of new players, because if they then die, there is that much less that they can blame on the game for them dying, and more validation in Blizzard saying "Well, I told you so."

In addition to this, I would hope that upon selecting Hardcore, the game informs you exactly what you are in for; that it is very easy to die, and when you die, your character is gone forever. The player should be unable to proceed without acknowledging these facts.

The reasoning of "Softcore is the way the game is meant to be played" is honestly true. Especially when you take new players into consideration.

At this stage of development, I am assuming that the devs are sticking to what they have in place because they just want to get the game out the door and into our hands.

While this probably makes some Hardcore aficionados gnash their teeth at the thought of those damnable new players, I urge you to remember that we were all new to these experiences once, and the only way to get better is to get started.
Reply Quote
OP: I feel that it could turn out to be really boring to have to go through Normal mode twice.

Miraa: If you think going through normal mode twice is boring, HC probably ain't for you.

OP: I don't see how the two are connected.

*facepalm*

What happens when a hardcore character dies? You have to make a new character and PLAY THROUGH NORMAL AGAIN. Ticking the 'hardcore' box is the same as ticking the 'I don't mind being forced to play through normal lots of times' box. On top of that, the in-game effect of making a character hardcore can be mostly emulated by deleting your character when it dies, in fact I've played 'hardcore' on several games that don't support a hardcore mode at all.
Edited by Woggle on 2/27/2012 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
so when in the first week the servers crash or a boss bugs out and kills you, youll accept that without hesitation and wont come running to the forums qqing or open a ticket trying to get your toon revived?

how many people that want this can say that?

All tho I am a player that would want HC from the start and not cry if this happend, this is a excellent point.

Seconded. I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually a significant portion of their reason for this restriction. I know relieving stress from GMs has motivated several changes in WoW...
Reply Quote
Join save a Nobb.
Nobb:
Not sure what button to push?
Hardcore love hardcore !@#$, Push hardcore!
Dam i keep dieing .
Make new char each time?
Hate this game!!!!!!!!!!! Hate Blizzard!!!!!!
Edited by Bloodspawn on 2/27/2012 8:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Pamela
If you think going through normal mode twice is boring, HC probably ain't for you.

I don't see how the two are connected.

Really? You do not understand what hes trying to say? Let me elaborate so hopefully you'd understand. You will be playing through normal several times anyway to prepare for nightmare, hardcore or not.

Reply Quote
It's probably to prevent a hardcore player who has played the content and knows what to expect from randomly grouping with somebody who has not, and dying because that player was unable to do what he needed to, because he didn't know the mechanics of the boss battle.
Reply Quote
so when in the first week the servers crash or a boss bugs out and kills you, youll accept that without hesitation and wont come running to the forums qqing or open a ticket trying to get your toon revived?

how many people that want this can say that?

I would guess almost all of them. We played hardcore in D2. We died to lag, PKs, WP traps and every other conceivable way not intended within the game mechanics. We understand how HC works.

SC players just don't understand the HC mentality.

When I play donkey kong, I don't get butthurt when I lose my last mario and have to start over. It's the same with D2 (and will be in D3).
Reply Quote
Really? You do not understand what hes trying to say? Let me elaborate so hopefully you'd understand. You will be playing through normal several times anyway to prepare for nightmare, hardcore or not.
Why would you think that? I don't plan on Dying in Normal mode. As a hardcore Player, I will generally do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of my character. If allowed my first experience through the game will be way more intense not knowing whats waiting for me around the corner, and knowing that every step could be my last.

Why should I want to not have that kind of experience? Face rolling through normal because there is no DP doesn't sound like fun at all. The first play through is the most important first impression. I want that to be an exciting experience, not just some mundane boring no risk demo.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
OP: I feel that it could turn out to be really boring to have to go through Normal mode twice.

Miraa: If you think going through normal mode twice is boring, HC probably ain't for you.

OP: I don't see how the two are connected.

*facepalm*

What happens when a hardcore character dies? You have to make a new character and PLAY THROUGH NORMAL AGAIN. Ticking the 'hardcore' box is the same as ticking the 'I don't mind being forced to play through normal lots of times' box. On top of that, the in-game effect of making a character hardcore can be mostly emulated by deleting your character when it dies, in fact I've played 'hardcore' on several games that don't support a hardcore mode at all.

Seconded. If your complaint about having to play through normal mode first before you can play HC then your point about not wanting to play through the game more than once is moot.
Reply Quote
Seconded. If your complaint about having to play through normal mode first before you can play HC then your point about not wanting to play through the game more than once is moot.
What makes you think I'm going to Die in normal mode. Your making a lot of unfounded assumptions here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Hardcore Mode can be very frustrating to players whom die because of some incredibly simple and innocent mistake (oops, starting that event was a bad idea).

I strongly suspect (but don't know for certain) that the developers have set the game up such that every player has to play through the non-perma-death mode first so that they're forced to learn about all the major fights, events, and pit-falls first before taking the plunge. Let's face it, there are times when we die simply because there was some painfully obvious or simple thing we forgot to notice. Not stocking up on poison resistance, or forgetting to pull a lever during a boss fight, etc... There can be some really stupid reasons why a person dies during their first play through simply because they haven't experienced it yet.

The problem with Hardcore mode is that every time a character dies due to a simple and/or stupid mistake means that they may have to play hours and hours again just to get back to the same fight where they died. I personally believe that Hardcore Players only want to die when it's truly a fault of their skill rather than a silly simple mistake caused by a lack of foreknowledge about the fight/event/etc... That's a heavy heavy price to pay for simply being uninformed, and I suspect that the developers want to force everyone to play through the storyline once just to so that folks going into Hardcore mode have been properly prepped for it.

Now, obviously not everyone agrees with this design philosophy, and many may argue that it isn't truly necessary. If that proves to be true after the game is released, then I could foresee Blizzard possibly dropping the restriction via a Patch. But I can't speak for them, and I certainly can't speak for whether the current Restriction will or won't be vindicated once the game is released.

All I can advise is patience. If the game is really good, then playing through it a single time to unlock Hardcore mode won't truly be a chore, and once it's done you won't be worrying about it again.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
02/27/2012 12:26 PMPosted by D3BETA
What makes you think I'm going to Die in normal mode. Your making a lot of unfounded assumptions here.

You cannot be serious.

If your character dies, no matter what difficulty he dies in, you will have to play through Normal all over again.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Pamela
I don't see how the two are connected.

Apparently you don't understand what Hardcore means.

When (yes, when, not if) you die in Hardcore, your character is deleted. When your character is deleted, that means you start over. On normal.

02/27/2012 12:26 PMPosted by D3BETA

What's this have to do with anything? You die at level 15 on normal, you restart on normal. You die at level 35 on nightmare, you restart at level 1 on normal. You die at level 55 on hell, you restart at level 1 on normal. Do you not understand what Hardcore Mode is?
Reply Quote
You cannot be serious.

If your character dies, no matter what difficulty he dies in, you will have to play through Normal all over again.

Do you not understand what Hardcore Mode is?
Of course I understand what it is.

Your Missing the Point. My first experience is the one that counts, and I'd rather make that experience one where death had real consequences, because it makes it that much more exciting to play.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/27/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You cannot be serious.

Your Missing the Point. My first experience is the one that counts, and I'd rather make that experience one where death had real consequences, because it makes it that much more exciting to play.

Except you already claimed you aren't going to die in Normal, so what is the difference?
Reply Quote
The possibility exists yes I am aware of that, and that makes it more exciting. What do you people not UNDERSTAND about this? Further more, why do you care so much about a feature you won't use, to try and some how make sure nobody else can?
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 01:21 PMPosted by D3BETA

I agree with this argument, actually. I fully understand why someone would want to play through the first time on HC and have that thrill of the unknown.

My issue isn't with removing the limitation -- it was with the OP's argument that repeating normal mode would be boring when, in essence, HC mode is all about repeating normal mode dozens of times.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]