Diablo® III

Multi-spec needed.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I really feel like D3 needs a multi-spec UI system similar to the dual spec system in WoW. I know lots of people hate the WoW comparisons, but a dual spec type system actually fits D3 more so than WoW. I base this on the differing skill systems in each game, and I feel the D3 system of being able to changes skills at any point would make this a natural fit.

My main reason for wanting a multi-spec system in D3 is due to the player cap of 10. That along with being able to switch skills at any point really makes a multi-spec system so appealing. Thinking back to my D2 days, I played well more than 10 different builds. Naturally in D3 I expect to play many builds as well.

Obviously blizzard does not intend for people to have to level a new character for each new build a person wants to play. So it seems only natural to put a system in place which, when I have finally perfected a build I've been working on, I can save it for easy and quick future reference/use.

Playing with the new skill calculator recently, got me remembering all the cool builds I tried out in D2 (throw barb, ele druid, summon druid, etc). I know for sure I willspend many hours(days really lol) playing completely different builds on each charachter. I really don't want to take the time to change:

• 6 active skills
• 6 runes
• 3 passives

While it might not seem like a lot, having to change those 15 items every single time over the course of my D3 years is really going to get old.

Thus the game really needs a system to save different builds. Something simple like WoW would work fine. Although being able to name each pre set build would be nice. Unlimited pre sets would be great, but I assume blizzard would argue that could be a data storage problem(which would be the only valid argument against the system being unlimited that I can think of). In the wake of that argument I would hope for a large number of pre sets(10+ perhaps).

So what do others think? This is certainly something that casuals would take advantage of as well as hardcore players. Personally if there wasn't a 10 char limit AND they did not add pre set system like this, I would probably just level a new char for each build(keep in mind I enjoy leveling up chars anyhow). But obviously with the cap that isn't possible.

This is something that could be added in an early patch even. Not really something that will make or break a release, but would be great benefit to most all players.
Reply Quote
another whiner.......so if you are old enough to have played D1 you would have only had 3 characters tops.....sorc/rogue/warrior...these were what they called builds.....D3 has come a far way from this stop whining
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
A loadout page akin to Team Fortress 2 would be nice.
Reply Quote
pretty sure this feature will be in d3 as i remember watching somewhere i heard a dev say they liked the idea of saving builds and switching them on the go type of thing, but hey i might just be crazy
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Kefkah
Pointless. You can change skills whenever you want.

Saving time is pointless? So you would prefer to change every single skill and rune individually instead of just clicking once and switching everything instantly?
Edited by Dourden on 2/27/2012 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Vintorez
pretty sure this feature will be in d3 as i remember watching somewhere i heard a dev say they liked the idea of saving builds and switching them on the go type of thing, but hey i might just be crazy

I can't imagine anyone not liking the idea :) I seem to recall hearing something like that as well, but it was quite some time ago. And being that it is something that could be tested in a beta, but as far as I know, it has never been in it. Just got me thinking about.
Edited by Dourden on 2/27/2012 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Tyler
another whiner.......so if you are old enough to have played D1 you would have only had 3 characters tops.....sorc/rogue/warrior...these were what they called builds.....D3 has come a far way from this stop whining

Posting a decently well written thread about a possible feature that would assist most people is whining? Lol?
Reply Quote
A lot of people claim (including Blizzard) that you will never have to respec, so it wouldn't be very useful.
Saving 20 sec every other month or similar would hardly be worth the effort to implement something like this.

As for remembering your own builds, I usually use screen-shots for that in other games.
That fits the easy and quick reference requirement for me.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/27/2012 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm just wondering why you named a B-Elf Do'Urden... he was a tad darker than you. ;)

/troll over

I think dual-spec option really isn't necessary since (as others have pointed out) you can change your skills on the fly. There's a ton of different combinations with the spells and runes, but I don't know if it's enough that I'd forget which ones I was using between switches.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
A lot of people claim (including Blizzard) that you will never have to respec, so it wouldn't be very useful.
Saving 20 sec every other month or similar would hardly be worth the effort to implement something like this.

As for remembering your own builds, I usually use screen-shots for that in other games.
That fits the easy and quick reference requirement for me.

Regarding your first point about never respeccing. That really makes zero sense to me, the whole point of allowing people to change skills at any time actually encourages people to respec and try different builds.

Regarding only switching builds every other month or so as you put it, I know I would switch WAY more often than that. Daily at times. Lookout!(WoW comparison Inc) I have switched my spec multiple times in a single day quite commonly. And I'm not reffering just about switchinh roles during a raid for different bosses. But also for example, I commonly do a couple BG's as a resto druid, then I will switch to balance just for a change.

As far as the screen shot, that's a fair idea and would be an ok substitute. But an in game feature would certainly be far superior. To go alongwith this idea, while playing around with the new skill calc I noticed you can save builds. So one could use that for reference as well.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I think dual-spec option really isn't necessary since (as others have pointed out) you can change your skills on the fly. There's a ton of different combinations with the spells and runes, but I don't know if it's enough that I'd forget which ones I was using between switches.

My feeling is since we can change skills on the fly a pre-set spec system(probably better name than dual spec since dual would imply a cap of 2) fits perfectly into the game. If we can change at will, why not let us have a bunch of full pre-set skill sets?

And personally for me, it's not a matter of forgetting my build. Although some people could certainly use a pre-set system for precisely that. For me it's really a matter of convenience. Which will probably draw some flames, but keep in mind convenience does not always = casual or dumbing down of the game.

It was also mentioned by someone that they wouldn't want the game to be held up for something like this. While I would make great us of this, I would not want the game delayed for it neither. I even stated in my OP that it could be something to look at as an addition in an early patch, so as not to delay release.
Edited by Dourden on 2/27/2012 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I agree with this, it makes a lot of sense.

If Blizzard is already set on their idea of skill swapping with only 15 second cooldowns, they might as well make it a 1 button swap to swap everything in 15 seconds.

That would just save time of people that swap slowly, and having to do each spell individually each time. Obviously if Blizzard is willing to change the system to something that doesn't promote swapping skills before boss fights then a dual spec system wouldn't be needed.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with this, it makes a lot of sense.

If Blizzard is already set on their idea of skill swapping with only 15 second cooldowns, they might as well make it a 1 button swap to swap everything in 15 seconds.

That would just save time of people that swap slowly, and having to do each spell individually each time. Obviously if Blizzard is willing to change the system to something that doesn't promote swapping skills before boss fights then a dual spec system wouldn't be needed.

To be honest I hadn't really even considered the upside for people that want to have a different build just for the boss fights. personally I will most likely make a build and stick with it for all content. But I know there are lots of people that will want that build they find "ideal" for bosses when they reach them. I totally support the whole notion of "let people play the way they want" and this would only expand on that.

EDIT - You've actually brought to light 2 more demographics that this would benefit from this:

- people who want to change specs for boss fights
- people who are pugging with said person from above that doesn't want to wait for them to swap out 10+ skills/runs :)

Even if I don't fall into either of those demo's, I certainly support people that do getting a better game as well.
Edited by Dourden on 2/27/2012 1:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I'd rather see it patched in than delay the game for it.

Also, I think they want to stay away from specing for individual encounters. They'd rather see you obliterate some areas, and struggle with others rather than swap skills every few minutes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd rather see it patched in than delay the game for it.

Also, I think they want to stay away from specing for individual encounters. They'd rather see you obliterate some areas, and struggle with others rather than swap skills every few minutes.

While I may agree that blizzard intends for the game to be played the way you have stated, they certainly can't be all that dedicated to the notion, since they allow you to change skills at any point. Thus completely blowing that out of the water really. Personally, I will play that way for the most part.

My main desire for this feature personally is to have multiple FULL builds that I run around with exclusively for all content available to me at the click of 1 button.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I can't imagine anyone not liking the idea :) I seem to recall hearing something like that as well, but it was quite some time ago. And being that it is something that could be tested in a beta, but as far as I know, it has never been in it. Just got me thinking about.

Have you spent any time reading the forums? There's a wave of mouth-frothing D2 sociopaths screaming that the ability to change skills at any time has destroyed D3 and will end the known universe. And you want to make skill swapping even easier?

Actually, keep pushing this idea. Maybe that throbbing vein in their foreheads will explode. That should be a good show.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Dourden
Posting a decently well written thread about a possible feature that would assist most people is whining? Lol?

How do you figure that it will assist "most" people. A general rule around here is to not speak for the community when suggesting changes. That aside, I would be against a multi-spec system since it's so easy to change your spec around. By the time you get halfway through hell or so, you will probably be able to know what each skill/rune is and you will be used to the current system. Besides, this would just delay the game some more, and no one wants that!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]