Diablo® III

Building a new PC for D3

It's much more cost efficient to get lower priced cores and overclock them within safe variances-- depending on your ventilation. I've been doing it for the past 6 years with probably $300-500 savings. Sometimes you literally get the same architecture that's just been clocked higher... And priced higher.

Since I'm content atm, I don't stay updated with hardware unless I'm helping someone or upgrading, cant make recommendations except suggesting the 570 as a better compromise between performance and cost; I play everything maxed with avg 40-50 fps save for skyrim in large cities in the 20's or D3 beta in general (d3 is a coding issue or possibly related to x64 windows.)

AMD has overdrive and I'm sure Intel has equivalent software for changing multipliers and voltage all within the operating system. It's not as daunting a process as it used to be.
Reply Quote
There's really no need to overclock for Blizzard games anyway. Besides, overclocking affects the longevity of your processor in some way.
Reply Quote
It's much more cost efficient to get lower priced cores and overclock them within safe variances-- depending on your ventilation. I've been doing it for the past 6 years with probably $300-500 savings. Sometimes you literally get the same architecture that's just been clocked higher... And priced higher.

Since I'm content atm, I don't stay updated with hardware unless I'm helping someone or upgrading, cant make recommendations except suggesting the 570 as a better compromise between performance and cost; I play everything maxed with avg 40-50 fps save for skyrim in large cities in the 20's or D3 beta in general (d3 is a coding issue or possibly related to x64 windows.)

AMD has overdrive and I'm sure Intel has equivalent software for changing multipliers and voltage all within the operating system. It's not as daunting a process as it used to be.

I understand all of that but for me it's simply a convenience issue. It's one thing I'm willing to pay more for so I don't have to worry about things like multipliers, power consumption, heat issues, and stability. I don't want to min-max my processor, I just want it to work. If I got a K processor, I would feel like I needed to do all of that.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 10:17 PMPosted by D3BETA
There's really no need to overclock for Blizzard games anyway. Besides, overclocking affects the longevity of your processor in some way.

It's called Electromigration and although it does reduce the life of the processor, you'll generally upgrade your processor before you notice any real significant effect (unless of course your system is overheating all the time).
Reply Quote
A little too CPU heavy.

Motherboard is great, and I would go down to 8GB of ram because you'll never realistically use all that I assume.

Get an i5-2500k and a nice cpu cooler (I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212), and use the money saved from your cpu to get a way better graphics card (GTX 570 or Radeon 6970)
Reply Quote
I would wait as long as possible to buy a graphics card. the GeForce 600 series should be out by summer.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 09:41 PMPosted by BuckMurdock
2. Never buy the cutting edge stuff, it's always overpriced and buggy.

that's how I buy GPUs. Wait 9-12 months, buy them for like 10% of the original price.
Reply Quote
just wait for consol version to come out and save a bundle.
Reply Quote
It looks like a nice build, but I'd get one of the HAF-X cases by Cooler Master.

And as others have mentioned.. if you can hold out until the GTX 600 series cards are out, then you can scoop up a nice 580 or 590 for a lot less coin.
Reply Quote
just wait for console version to come out and save a bundle.

I was just going to say you can save a lot of cash by buying an XBOX.
Reply Quote
Get a 64 or 128 SSD Drive for you most played games and OS. Use the Terabyte for your storage.

Edited by Krenum on 2/27/2012 11:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Get this beautiful Diablo case:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?278399-ASUS-ROG-TJ11-Diablo-III-Edtion
Reply Quote

5 minutes to clock it is like 2% of the time it takes to put your computer together and get it running. That's seriously lazy, lol >_<

Melted several processors in my day. I'm old and just don't want to deal with that shiz anymore.
You just wont manage to melt the current CPUs. Its either a successfull overclock (with apropriate tests to check for stability) or the pc wont boot and goes back to stock settings.
Overclocking these days is really easy and rewarding.
Reply Quote
A little too CPU heavy.

Motherboard is great, and I would go down to 8GB of ram because you'll never realistically use all that I assume.

Get an i5-2500k and a nice cpu cooler (I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212), and use the money saved from your cpu to get a way better graphics card (GTX 570 or Radeon 6970)

This... and ditch the blu-ray burner. Unless you plan on burning tons of BDs, there's no use in having one. Dedicated BDs are far better than the computer BDs and corresponding software.
Edited by Tishmerake on 2/28/2012 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am building a new PC for D3 and other future games. My last PC would have run D3 but did not meet the recommended settings. Here's what I've put together. Am I missing anything?

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III SSD
1TB Sata HD
16 Gigs Ram
Blu-Ray Burner
Antec Case and Power
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

i7 is unnecessary for d3. get the i5 2500k
looks ok
looks good
get a crucial m4 128gb, most stable drive at that speed/price ratio, never crashed once
looks good
8gb of ram is more than enough,16 is overkill unless you are made of money
good and good
good.
Reply Quote
I've got a brand new PS3 still in the box waiting for this game to come out!!

OHSNAP!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]