Diablo® III

Battle.net 2.0 Threatens the Success of Diabl

I am not repeating myself because no one listens. But I will make this point.

So called "private chat channels" are essentially your whispers. They improved whispers by letting you do so with up to three other people are the same time! YET ANOTHER CHAT IMPROVEMENT!

Private channels are ones that are custom made (and yes, you can do this in SC2) and those have never really been moderatable unless you had a 3rd party bot or a clan leadership role in WC3.

wow being able to whisper 3 people at a time??? omgggggg no way such an improvement

I could whisper 25 people at a time in bnet 1.0... /f m sup guys.

That is not really a whisper at that point, more like a mass message. You can do those too. if your say 25 friends really wanted to be messaged, just sit in a custom chat room and message in that. You can even be in several custom chatrooms and private chats and one public chat at the same time. improvement? yes
Reply Quote

wow being able to whisper 3 people at a time??? omgggggg no way such an improvement

That is not really a whisper at that point, more like a mass message. You can do those too. if your say 25 friends really wanted to be messaged, just sit in a custom chat room and message in that. You can even be in several custom chatrooms and private chats and one public chat at the same time. improvement? yes

it might be if it wasn't built so terribly
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Eh, I don't care about channels to start, I have 6 or so people I will be paying with, and we will be on vent, so I will be talking to them there.

But, the crappy interface to meet up with others free from spam, is a concern later as people drift off, have to listen to their wife, ect.
Reply Quote

Do people still not realize that D3 has no private channels? There is only 5-10 public channels and that's it.
Reply Quote
I firmly believe that chat channels like D2 had are meaningless. I mentioned this in other threads.There is simply no good reason that a video game should also be a dumbed-down IRC client. Even with the 'good' chat channels that Diablo 2 had, most people don't want to go in them. Why? Because they'd rather be either 1) Playing the game, or 2) In a real chatroom or perhaps a forum.

Why would I want to have Diablo 3 open if I'm not actually playing Diablo 3? Chat channels of the sort D2 had are simply nowhere near as good as one of dozens of purpose-made chat systems that are used by real fansites, guilds, and other places that make up the game community.

The bottom line is that in-game chat is useless unless you can use it while you're playing. Chat that you can only use while not actually playing the game, like in D2, is a crappy, outdated system, and I don't think most people will miss it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is how a lot of players see it.

That said, there are two sorts of chat I WOULD like to see in Diablo 3, and neither of them have anything to do with Diablo 2's crappy chat system:

1) Guild chat that can be used in-game, that shows up in a special color and with a special tag.
2) Chat channels that can be used in-game, rather than only used in a 'lobby' like in D2.

I'd actually use both of these chat styles. I will never, ever use a D2-style chat, when I can close the game and fire up an IRC client, which is ten times better than any 'social gaming platform'.
Reply Quote
Well if people would bother to look at the images on incgamers they would see a superior interface for those who do care. For those who don't - ignore it like you would do anyway.

Again, why can't we have this improvement when the hardcore audience was appealed to about something you could say the same for? If you don't understand let me break it down....it's not necessary for gameplay to allow you to start HC at the beginning (or in this case, pretty close to it), right? Well, Blizzard gave in and allowed players to start HC at level 10.

It doesn't matter to me one bit, since I'll be starting out on a softcore monk. But does that mean I have to go around telling everybody who wants a feature that they're somehow wrong for wanting it because I, one person, don't particularly care?

That's exactly what is happening here, and there's no reason this suggestion for an awesome chat implementation should be ignored.

Nekora
Read this please.
Edited by Shyster on 3/23/2012 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So why can you only whisper or "private chat" 3 people at a time? I will have more than 3 friends getting Diablo 3 the minute it comes out, but we all won't be playing with each other because we'll play with certain friends, some might prefer to just do it themselves first time, etc.

Anyone who thinks the SC/D2 bnet wasnt better chat-wise is silly. I think thats all people want. A more friendly chat service that urges you to communicate with people in a way that isnt tedious and with a bad inferface. I haven't made a friend on SC2 that I didn't know prior to SC2, because there is nothing that promotes just meeting people who play what you play chatwise.
Reply Quote
So why can you only whisper or "private chat" 3 people at a time? I will have more than 3 friends getting Diablo 3 the minute it comes out, but we all won't be playing with each other because we'll play with certain friends, some might prefer to just do it themselves first time, etc.

Anyone who thinks the SC/D2 bnet wasnt better chat-wise is silly. I think thats all people want. A more friendly chat service that urges you to communicate with people in a way that isnt tedious and with a bad inferface. I haven't made a friend on SC2 that I didn't know prior to SC2, because there is nothing that promotes just meeting people who play what you play chatwise.

Agreed and same.
Reply Quote

Again, why can't we have this improvement when the hardcore audience was appealed to about something you could say the same for? If you don't understand let me break it down....it's not necessary for gameplay to allow you to start HC at the beginning (or in this case, pretty close to it), right? Well, Blizzard gave in and allowed players to start HC at level 10.

The difference is that the change to hardcore required just about ZERO development time, effort, and testing, while the sort of chat channels you want would require a MASSIVE amount of development time, effort, and testing.

Yes, the Hardcore change doesn't affect all that many people. But it cost practically nothing for them to fix. They can do this. But if they think that these chat channels will only please some tiny percentage of people who play the game, but it would cost them tens of thousands of dollars to implement it (Which it would), then they're not going to do it. That's about the only reasoning I can give you.
Reply Quote
I firmly believe that chat channels like D2 had are meaningless. I mentioned this in other threads.There is simply no good reason that a video game should also be a dumbed-down IRC client. Even with the 'good' chat channels that Diablo 2 had, most people don't want to go in them. Why? Because they'd rather be either 1) Playing the game, or 2) In a real chatroom or perhaps a forum.

Why would I want to have Diablo 3 open if I'm not actually playing Diablo 3? Chat channels of the sort D2 had are simply nowhere near as good as one of dozens of purpose-made chat systems that are used by real fansites, guilds, and other places that make up the game community.

The bottom line is that in-game chat is useless unless you can use it while you're playing. Chat that you can only use while not actually playing the game, like in D2, is a crappy, outdated system, and I don't think most people will miss it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is how a lot of players see it.

That said, there are two sorts of chat I WOULD like to see in Diablo 3, and neither of them have anything to do with Diablo 2's crappy chat system:

1) Guild chat that can be used in-game, that shows up in a special color and with a special tag.
2) Chat channels that can be used in-game, rather than only used in a 'lobby' like in D2.

I'd actually use both of these chat styles. I will never, ever use a D2-style chat, when I can close the game and fire up an IRC client, which is ten times better than any 'social gaming platform'.

Just because you don't want to chat online with people doesn't mean other people dont. Chat channels are useful for meeting people/hanging out/having fun. Clan channels were even more fun in d2/wc3 because you could hang out there with your friends in between games.

Also what you just described is wow game chat with the guild/chat channels in game -.-
Edited by sLC on 3/23/2012 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Just because you don't want to chat online with people doesn't mean other people do. Chat channels are useful for meeting people/hanging out/having fun. Clan channels were even more fun in d2/wc3 because you could hang out there with your friends in between games.

Also what you just described is wow game chat with the guild/chat channels in game -.-

I never said I didn't want to chat online with people. I said that I don't want to use a game like it's a crappy IRC client. If I want to talk with people online about Diablo 3...I'm going to go to a fansite's IRC, or a forum about D3. Even if Diablo 3's chat mirrored Diablo 2's...it wouldn't be nearly as good as either IRC or a good forum. That's just all there is to it. Why do you want your game client also to be a sub-par chat program, when there's far better alternatives?

Regarding WoW chat...so what? WoW chat, although filled with idiots, was far better than Diablo 2's. Imagine if you had to log out of WoW and then sit around in a text-only screen with a few avatars along the bottom of the screen in order to chat in WoW. That's what D2's chat is. It sucks. Period.
Reply Quote

The difference is that the change to hardcore required just about ZERO development time, effort, and testing, while the sort of chat channels you want would require a MASSIVE amount of development time, effort, and testing.

Yes, the Hardcore change doesn't affect all that many people. But it cost practically nothing for them to fix. They can do this. But if they think that these chat channels will only please some tiny percentage of people who play the game, but it would cost them tens of thousands of dollars to implement it (Which it would), then they're not going to do it. That's about the only reasoning I can give you.

I mean that's fair. And as far as I know you are right, in which case I will just wish one day we'll see improvements.
Reply Quote

Just because you don't want to chat online with people doesn't mean other people do. Chat channels are useful for meeting people/hanging out/having fun. Clan channels were even more fun in d2/wc3 because you could hang out there with your friends in between games.

I never said I didn't want to chat online with people. I said that I don't want to use a game like it's a crappy IRC client. If I want to talk with people online about Diablo 3...I'm going to go to a fansite's IRC, or a forum about D3. Even if Diablo 3's chat mirrored Diablo 2's...it wouldn't be nearly as good as either IRC or a good forum. That's just all there is to it. Why do you want your game client also to be a sub-par chat program, when there's far better alternatives?

Regarding WoW chat...so what? WoW chat, although filled with idiots, was far better than Diablo 2's. Imagine if you had to log out of WoW and then sit around in a text-only screen with a few avatars along the bottom of the screen in order to chat in WoW. That's what D2's chat is. It sucks. Period.

Of course there are far better chat programs to d3 but thats because blizzard built it wrong and nobody even uses it, hence the "ghost town" effect the game has. If the chat channels had tons of people in it and you could see peoples characters/chat with people about stuff it would be great. And I don't of any chat channels for diablo players besides forums, so I don't know where you are going to chat with other people besides a forum which is completely different.

And wow is a different game than d3, also chat channels can be used in game on d3 (at least in sc2 they can which is the same thing) and there's no guild support for either of them yet so no way to have guild chat without any guild support.
Reply Quote

I mean that's fair. And as far as I know you are right, in which case I will just wish one day we'll see improvements.

I, too, hope we see improvements to D3's chat system. But I will be sorely displeased if it looks like Diablo 2's chat system.
Reply Quote

Of course there are far better chat programs to d3 but thats because blizzard built it wrong and nobody even uses it, hence the "ghost town" effect the game has. If the chat channels had tons of people in it and you could see peoples characters/chat with people about stuff it would be great. And I don't of any chat channels for diablo players besides forums, so I don't know where you are going to chat with other people besides a forum which is completely different.

I'd bet that either incgamers, Diablofans, or one of the other big fansites has a good IRC.

Regardless. I don't really understand the 'ghost town' complaint. Diablo 2, I might complain about something like the opposite. Call it 'spambot town'. A lot of chat channels were nothing but spambots, from what I saw.

And wow is a different game than d3, also chat channels can be used in game on d3 (at least in sc2 they can which is the same thing) and there's no guild support for either of them yet so no way to have guild chat without any guild support.

I haven't tried this, but if chat channels can be used in-game in D3, it's already light-years beyond D2's chat system, for me. Nice if true. I agree that private channels would be nice, though.

I also agree that guild support should be in the game, and IIRC, the team has said that's one major thing they'll be looking at post-release. I'll cross my fingers for it to come at the same time as the PvP patch.
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Warlock
03/23/2012 07:58 PMPosted by D3BETA
But we can keep trying I guess :/
Reply Quote
I also agree that guild support should be in the game, and IIRC, the team has said that's one major thing they'll be looking at post-release. I'll cross my fingers for it to come at the same time as the PvP patch.

We can all dream, can't we? This'd be amazing.

It's too bad that once upon a time these basic features are now things that are tacked on at the end as if they're unimportant. At the end of the day it's just one massive Wtf?
Reply Quote

Do people still not realize that D3 has no private channels? There is only 5-10 public channels and that's it.

Uhm the private chats are from double clicking people on your friends list. And yes you can have multiple in there after making an initial window.

And /f m was useless if you wanted to talk crap about certain friends and not others.
Reply Quote

We can all dream, can't we? This'd be amazing.

It's too bad that once upon a time these basic features are now things that are tacked on at the end as if they're unimportant. At the end of the day it's just one massive Wtf?

Call me a fanboy if you will, but I think you're being unfair to D3 here, in relation to D2.

D2 had no guild/clan support either. People used various tools to make it work, but there was no official support for it at all.

D2 had no 'real' PvP system. There was the hostile system, which was basically an afterthought, rather than any real work on the D2 team's part. There was no good way to have a legit PvP match against strangers in D2; it worked on the honor system, and people just used the outside of Act 1 Rogue encampment to make it work.

So D3 is in fact going to be patching in large features after release...but I think they're starting from a similar place as D2, and looking to make it far better in the months after release.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]