Diablo® III

Battle.net 2.0 Threatens the Success of Diabl

The RMAH and matchmaking system replaced the custom game and chat system.

Honestly I don't see why they couldn't add both in later patches, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was done.

PS: Personally I see the matchmaking system as the biggest flaw because of how little it sorts people
Edited by Grimm on 3/24/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Judging by the wild success of Annual Pass I would venture a guess that Diablo 3 already has enough account holders to have a decade of healthy community. The Diablo 3 mount has been the most-seen mount on WoW for months. There is a lot of buzz.
Reply Quote
03/24/2012 10:00 PMPosted by Astealoth
Judging by the wild success of Annual Pass I would venture a guess that Diablo 3 already has enough account holders to have a decade of healthy community. The Diablo 3 mount has been the most-seen mount on WoW for months. There is a lot of buzz.

Doesn't really mean that much man. Basically you can just make a commitment to play the game for 1 more year, pay in installments (like you'd already be doing) and you get a free 60 dollar game, a free mount, and a guaranteed entry into the MoP beta.

So no, I don't believe that the annual pass is being driven purely by D3 fanatics. I think alot of it was WoW players that essentially saw themselves getting free !@#$ as a good thing.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
03/24/2012 10:00 PMPosted by Astealoth

Having many sales has nothing to do with a decade of healthy community. Many will buy the game or have already bought it. This says nothing about its longevity. How is a community fostered with zero social interaction outside of a 4 man game? Most of the time people don't even speak in these games. The chat system already in place is a lame excuse meant to appease the people who wanted a chat but has failed miserably.
Reply Quote
imho the lifetime of a game is in a direct relation to it's features for killing time without stress.

Lets face it, you either play because you have nothing else to do or because you had a hard day and want to relax.
While smacking monsters is entertaining, it is also stressful, and after some time (especially fast if you had a hard day or more often if you simply play to kill time, you want to relax)

So you start your game, smack some monsters, get stressed or bored, and log out of your active game.
Then you look at you Screen and see:

D2: some random chat-channel with background-noise that keeps you looking at the screen - you stay in the game and have some mild entertainment, you may see someone asking for a rush, you may see someone offer a free rush, you may see some trade going on and wonder if there is something for you.

WoW: you stand in your capital City, have 27 chat channels open and hundreds of players running around and you keep idling, chatting and get asked by some guildy if wanna go into an instance.

SC2: you see a blank menu, you exit the game and wonder what to do next - play another game? Even if you wanna take a 15min break between your games, you have to Tab-out to be entertained.

It's simple as that, D2, WC3 and WoW never got you to that point where you actually exit the game because you don't know what to do atm. SC2 does, and D3 will do it, and THAT feeling lets you quite a game once and for all.
Searching the AH counters that effect somewhat, and the slot-machine that Diablo is does also a big part, but eventually you want to take a break from the action and it will force you to tab-out to stay entertained. There is nothing else that keeps you doing something ingame like some blinking chat-channels. Bnet 1 wasn't only a platform for finding games, it also filled the place between your games.

Blizz once said they want to have breaks in the game (reason to remove Cube and Cauldron), yet they refuse to introduce fun features to keep you entertained while you wait on your last teammate. No quick town-square duel, no decent chat-channels you can read as background-noise. Only some shacks standing in the landscape.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]