Diablo® III

Battle.net Ghost Town Effect.

84 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't we have social media coming out our ears?

Why do we need another form of it in our computer games? It seems to me they were popular back in the day because they were one of the very few ways to connect with people online.

Back in D1/D2 days, there were still *chat rooms* and they don't really exist any more. It's an outdated model for most people.

Games are social, and it adds to the enjoyment of the game. The OP is 100% right in saying that it's boring to just log in a game with 4 strangers, play for a bit than leave. Community is important in the feel of a game, especially an RPG like Diablo.

I feel the same way as the OP, and have also played every Blizzard game.
03/04/2012 01:11 PMPosted by D3BETA
I mean, you're here to play games AREN'T YOU?! FACEBOOK IS FOR TALKING, BATTLENET IS FOR PLAYING!

You are wrong. You know, Facebook has games, people can socialize or just seek information or play or whatever.

On Bnet 1.0, people could chat (about the game or not, doesn't matter) and play. Bnet 2.0 is just a quick match tool.
The idea of being in general chat rooms filled with the same people that populate these forums makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

I'm all for removing all chat features from all games everywhere for all time.

If I want to talk to someone it'd be my friends and I'll just use skype for that.
03/04/2012 01:17 PMPosted by blitzkrieg
Its because people are playing the game and not hiding in chat rooms. this is starcraft 2 not aol instant messenger....

Yet look at a platform like Steam - people are playing games AND talking in chat rooms/IMs... and they can make communities and groups! And millions of people use it daily! And they're all... talking... and playing games... together... its madness!
03/04/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Miraa

Yet look at a platform like Steam - people are playing games AND talking in chat rooms/IMs... and they can make communities and groups! And millions of people use it daily! And they're all... talking... and playing games... together... its madness!

This is the main reason to not really care about chat rooms -- there are better options out there which weren't around in the old days.

Most actual chat rooms (like in DotA 2's main UI) tend to be people trolling or trying to be funny. There's no real community there. Community is developed in the virtual world these days more through those more private channels than through random, public, and anonymous communication.
Games are social, and it adds to the enjoyment of the game. The OP is 100% right in saying that it's boring to just log in a game with 4 strangers, play for a bit than leave. Community is important in the feel of a game, especially an RPG like Diablo.

I feel the same way as the OP, and have also played every Blizzard game.

Well put. I can't just hop on some random mumble server and expect to find people to play D3 with. I agree with the OP and I really don't understand the logic behind designing bnet 2.0 to prevent communities from forming (as it seems from my perspective). I played many a D2 clone, and it was a lack of community, not gameplay, that left me putting those games down after a small amount of time and going back to D2, and eventually to MMO's as well.

But hey, it's not my bottom line. Obviously Blizzard feels for whatever reason that their current model is the more profitable one. Clearly I will still buy D3, and play for some time. When I get bored and lonely I'll start playing another game. Probably not another Blizzard game.
Real ID was the reason I canceled my WoW sub, but I thought in bnet 2.0 they were doing friends lists on 2 levels: one with Real ID and one without.

I'm waiting for the time where I'm in a public game and have a really good group, so we all decide to remake and farm some more content. Thing is, we have to friend each other to do this (if I understand no named public games anymore). Huge pain in the !@#$, when I could just say instead "Hey, lets remake, join game xxremake01 pw trew ".

EDIT: Wow, I completely misread something.
Edited by Nich on 3/4/2012 2:20 PM PST
I think it is an intentional design decision meant to not overstep their bounds on the social aspects of the system. That way, when they merge all their products into facebook, there is no conflict of interest.

On a serious note, I REALLY hope they realize this error before launch and fix the chat system. For the sake of the game, and my enjoyment.

OP might have been a little carried away with his doom and gloom over sc2, but that is a game that relies on chat channels 1/20th of what the Diablo series has in the past.... and look how bad it turned out in that game. Everyone I knew was upset about not having chat channels, and more community in the game. Even if they didnt go out and complain about it, they were disappointed.
fully completely and totally agree
Agree with OP. I couldn't quite put my finger why -- or articulate it well -- but this post describes perfectly a fundamental problem with Battle.net 2.0.

I'd like to add that another problem is that we can't name games. This way, the system automatically places you in a game based on pre-defined parameters. That means that if I want to create a game for a purpose that Blizzard didn't anticipate, (e.g. Act3-5GoldRuns) I am out of luck.
So um hows about blizzard update battle.net 0.2 back up to 1.0 ^_^
The community of such a game was a definining point .. not only made a game welcoming and friendly (apart from the !@#$% and the botters) it gave it longevity... gave me a reason to better myself and keep playing .. striving for the next best thing ... it gave me an invaluable tool to meet new people in the same situation as me .... to strike a bargain ... to meet likeminded people... to just talk to random people playing the same damn game as me and seeing what they looked like without having to go through a maze of in-game menus

i totally agree with azzure .. our chat needs to change ... for the better
This was one of my fears when I first heard of Blizzard adding an automatic grouping system with the Looking for Dungeon tool. You can act like a jerk, roll and take stuff with almost no consequence. Who cares if you slighted someone on another server you'd never see again? So in D3, they removed some griefing by adding in individualized loot; it makes the game feel more single player. I know there are benefits for individualized loot may outweigh its negative consequences, but it still leaves this issue of community.

Personally I had hella fun in public games in D2. Sometimes I wanted to rush and would join rush games, other times I like to take my time and clear out of area. But I could pick what I wanted via game names. I could pick what I wanted to do.

Now the D3 matching system just pairs me up with people assuming we have similar interest. Its like a dating website. The old D2 system was like picking which bar or nightclub you wanted to goto.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]