Diablo® III

WSJ: time spent in WoW > time spent evolving

The following quotation was taken from an article published in today's Wall Street Journal regarding the beneficial effects of gaming:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577263273943183932.html

"Broadly speaking, today's average gamer is 34 years old and has been playing electronic games for 12 years, often up to 18 hours a week. By one analyst's calculation, the 11 million or so registered users of the online role-playing fantasy World of Warcraft collectively have spent as much time playing the game since its introduction in 2004 as humanity spent evolving as a species—about 50 billion hours of game time, which adds up to about 5.9 million years."

I don't know whether this is cause for celebration (wow, gg Blizz) or a sad commentary on how we spend our leisure time.

Discuss.
Reply Quote
LoL.

The power of nerds, someone needs to find a way to generate energy from us, it would save the world.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You mean like this?

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-161920724.html
Reply Quote
LoL.

The power of nerds, someone needs to find a way to generate energy from us, it would save the world.

Indeed. As a friend of mine said to me in an email (in response to the same article),

If humanity evolved as a species in the same amount of time as gamers have collectively played WoW, shouldn't there be something extraordinary to show for gamers' time? Perhaps a cure for cancer, a solution to poverty or hunger, or something along those lines... Or at the very least some ultra-elite war strategery that minimizes casualties? Or just a plan for world peace maybe...
Reply Quote
That's a fun fact to throw around to illustrate how many hours people have logged into 1 activity, but it's not really a valid comparison. In order to compare apples to apples, you'd also have to total the amount of living things in our evolutionary heritage spending literally every second of every day of their lives evolving. You can't compare the total time it would've taken for 1 person to evolve to the collective time of a group.
Reply Quote
Clearly, all you WoW players need to get outside and evolve more.
Reply Quote
How does that compare to the amount of time all the golfers in the United States have spent on the golf course? I'll bet the gaming number is far smaller.

And don't give me any nonsense about exercise. Nobody outside of the PGA tour walks. Everyone uses golf carts, and therefore gets no exercise.
Reply Quote
03/06/2012 09:10 AMPosted by iCreep
Time spent doing something you enjoy is not wasted time. I would say gg Blizz for creating something that appealing and addictive to gamers, casual and hardcore alike.

I'm with you here, iCreep. I think it's an amazing testimony to Blizzard's ability to make great games.
Reply Quote
03/06/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Sidivan
That's a fun fact to throw around to illustrate how many hours people have logged into 1 activity, but it's not really a valid comparison. In order to compare apples to apples, you'd also have to total the amount of living things in our evolutionary heritage spending literally every second of every day of their lives evolving. You can't compare the total time it would've taken for 1 person to evolve to the collective time of a group.

Exactly this.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I hate when people give us !@#$ for how much time we spend playing videos games... In the same amount of time there was probably more time spent watching %^-*bag reality TV than time gaming... any time spent gaming > then the kardashians/bachelor/any other bad TV.

More people vote for the american idol than they do in presidential elections...
Reply Quote
This statistic is completely stupid.

It aggregates time spent by a large population, then put's that time against a long timeline... Does anyone else not see how ridiculous that is?
Reply Quote
You mean like this?

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-161920724.html

Jane Mcgonigal with a more general outlook on the awesome potential of gaming:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html
Reply Quote
91 Human Hunter
*insert ''2001 a space odyssey'' theme song here..*

If RMAH becomes a success, it will blaze a trail for a future self substained gaming community. Not so far away, we will be able to make a good living off of gaming transactions alone. We will finally be able to do what we enjoy most an make a living of it.

Soon™
Reply Quote
*insert ''2001 a space odyssey'' theme song here..*

If RMAH becomes a success, it will blaze a trail for a future self substained gaming community. Not so far away, we will be able to make a good living off of gaming transactions alone. We will finally be able to do what we enjoy most an make a living of it.

Soon™

We already had that but the US government took it away. Online poker. I know its not exactly an mmorpg, but it is an online multiplayer game, and it requires more skill than any mmorpg ive played.

If the rmah becomes the next big thing in online gaming, the US government will either shut it down or tax it to the point where you can't make a living.
Reply Quote
03/06/2012 10:50 AMPosted by D3BETA
If the rmah becomes the next big thing in online gaming, the US government will either shut it down or tax it to the point where you can't make a living.

Elected officials know what poker is. They don't know what Diablo is.

But don't worry, you'll only be able to make a third-world salary from it because proxy-using Chinese are going to dominate the American RMAH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]