Diablo® III

Unbalance between big and small weapons

Big unbalance between big and small weapons.

D3 make weapon range irrelevant because the effective range is build into the skill, not the weapon.

If a skill has an effective area of 8 feet, regardless what I use, my attack will affect only 8 feet. If I have a choice between a dagger and a spear that give both same DPS, I will choice a dagger because it is 25% faster (1.5 vs 1.2).

How about a dagger vs a mighty weapon? Actually, they said rename the mighty weapon to unmighty. No one will use it.

Blizzard needs to address the issue before releasing this.

Reply Quote
I agree. Right now I am getting more damage with my barbarrian using my stone knife than when im using my mighty weapon. This makes no sense. Especally with cleave (or any other aoe skill) the reach of your weapon should be a factor.
Reply Quote
But then people would have to try and decide whether to use a longer range, lower damage weapon for less AoE damage to more enemies, or a shorter range, high damage weapon for big numbers on fewer enemies, and thinking is bad, m'kay.
Reply Quote
Actually it seems to me like skills like cleave are affected by weapon size, specifically I was using a 2handed mighty weapon for a while and it sure seemed like it hit a larger range with cleave, but other skills that specify their range do not.

Also, if you have two weapons with the same DPS, you will choose the one with slower attack speed most likely, because it will do more damage for skills with cooldowns, and you are more efficient with your resource management.
Reply Quote

Also, if you have two weapons with the same DPS, you will choose the one with slower attack speed most likely, because it will do more damage for skills with cooldowns, and you are more efficient with your resource management.

This sounds reasonable. And makes OP's point invalid.

Cool! :)
Edited by D3BETA on 3/15/2012 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
off-hand item/dual wield though is to be considered, thus changing the value of 2h vs 1h dynamically

03/14/2012 05:31 PMPosted by D3BETA
if you have two weapons with the same DPS, you will choose the one with slower attack speed

No, it isn't that simple.

proc bonuses, static effects like "+life per hit" are speed friendly. there is no /min ICD afaik

WoW was savy about normalizing dps concepts,(after many patches) D3 is now, no different.

Hard hits favor slow weapons, but since they are on cooldown, a sample of damage will depend just as much as the time you spend not using big hits
APS factors static +damage sources, gems or off_weapon; speed matters when choosing setup

regardless of the theories on speed usage, The thread explains why there is no issue as the OP brings up. both weapon types will have subtle advantages
Edited by Korba on 3/15/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]