Diablo® III

way of a hundred fists question...

does anybody know if way of a hundred fists default unruned skill is single target or frontal? this would make it into my build if frontal and im dieing to find out... if those old vids of the monk using this skill are unruned i guess i could dig them up and find out if its hittng more than one target but thought i would ask if somebody has this info.. thanks monks!
Reply Quote
after doing some reading of the skill and its runes it makes me believe that it would be frontal though i could be wrong.... some of the runes extend the dmg in a frontal cone so they travel further. this makes me believe that by default it will be frontal, just very close quarters.
would still love to hear opinions on the skill.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I want to say that it is a frontal cone because the tooltip says "enemies" as in more than 1.
Reply Quote
There are video clips of hundred fist being used.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4443593/You_Will_Die_We_Promise-2_9_2012#blog

In this video @ :18-:21 seconds you see Fist being used.

again @ :28-31

Hits all targets in front of the monk multiple times in a short cone attack.
Edited by Archangel on 3/12/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I hope it will work like this. It says 140% damage now. I'm hoping that in the 7 hits the second attack is supposed to strike that it can hit up to seven targets in a frontal cone. That would be pretty cool.

In a perfect world full of monkly awesomeness, it would divide those 7 attacks between however many targets are there. i.e. if there's only one target, it would get hit 7 times for 140% each, if there at 2 targets, 1 would get hit 3 times, the other 4. If 3 targets, it would be 2,2 and 3 hits a piece. If 7 targets, 1 hit each.

At first glance this seems extraordinarily OP, but the attack seems channeled almost in the vids I've seen - it takes WAY longer than any other second hit. Unfortunately, there will simply be no way to know until we can use the skill in game. Considering that the barb cleave skill hits for 130% in a 180 degree arc, I honestly don't see this as being really all that OP. The barb can make that attack 2 or 3 times in the time it would take a monk to go through a single combo.

They may limit the number of hits on a single target to 2 or 3, maybe even 4. It would certainly make more sense than some of the other conjecture about the attack I've read on here. Yes, if we could simply spam that second attack and get the 7 hits on a single target all day it would certainly be OP. As it has to be a second hit in one of our combos... i just don;t see it that way.

If it's 7 hits that add up to do 140% damage that would seem like a HUGE waste of our highest level spirit generator. Come on, that's 20% per hit. There may be some advantages to doing it this way, but the numbers just don;t make sense for what would seemingly be a monk's highest level and therefore, logically, most powerful spirit generator.

I dunno, what do you guys think?
Reply Quote
There are video clips of hundred fist being used.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4443593/You_Will_Die_We_Promise-2_9_2012#blog

In this video @ :18 and :21 seconds you see Fist being used.

Hits all targets in front of the monk multiple times in a short cone attack.

Wow. From watching that video, it looks like it DOES hit every target in the cone the 7 times!

SWEET! That is pretty gosh darned awesome!
Reply Quote
I updated some more times Zanathos that show how it hits.
Reply Quote
My guess it will deal the 125% damage in total once the animation is done.

Now a question could be what if one or more of those hits crit? Crit hit = 50% more damage than regular hit, gear depending if you have stats to increase crit damage but the base is 50% more.

So if multiple hits crit with the 1 use of the spell. Does that still equal 50% of the 125%? Or is it 50% bonus for that hit adding to the 125% but not fully 50%.

what if in a strange world that all the hits crit. Does that mean the skill will do 175% being the 50% bonus or does it mean it will do more sense multiple hits critted at the same time?

Ahh im going crazy thinking about it!!!!

If all hits = 125% then 1 or all crits should = 175% if they were to stay consistent.
Reply Quote
in d3 the level you earn skill doesn't make it more powerful

I don't see it hitting up to 7 times with each 130% at that speed. It would be blatantly broken. the damage probably distributed among 7 strikes, randomly to target infront of you.

It would still be pretty good though for any on attack effects like those life gained per attack affix

Maybe you're correct about the level you receive the skill not making a difference. However, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about the rest of it. Go look at the link that Archangel posted.

Go ahead. Look at it.

Now tell me what you think. According to that video(which is a link to a couple of year old clip, if i remember correctly, sp it;s possible it's changed) then each hit does hit multiple targets and it hits them for pretty big numbers. According to the other hits we see in that video, there's no way that the hundreds of damage per hit coming off of that attack is 20% of weapon damage.

If you have more recent footage or a link to something recent in which a Dev says otherwise, please post it. otherwise, stop with the doom and gloom!
Edited by Zanathos on 3/12/2012 11:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
in d3 the level you earn skill doesn't make it more powerful

I don't see it hitting up to 7 times with each 130% at that speed. It would be blatantly broken. the damage probably distributed among 7 strikes, randomly to target infront of you.

It would still be pretty good though for any on attack effects like those life gained per attack affix

Maybe you're correct about the level you receive the skill not making a difference. However, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about the rest of it. Go look at the link that Archangel posted.

Go ahead. Look at it.

Now tell me what you think. According to that video(which is a link to a couple of year old clip, if i remember correctly, sp it;s possible it's changed) then each hit does hit multiple targets and it hits them for pretty big numbers. According to the other hits we see in that video, there's no way that the hundreds of damage per hit coming off of that attack is 20% of weapon damage.

If you have more recent footage or a link to something recent in which a Dev says otherwise, please post it. otherwise, stop with the doom and gloom!

Wait, wait can't each 100-ish damage hit be a fraction of the total damage? In that same video, just before Way of the Hundred Fists, the Monk also does this purple-charge-run-through-enemies move that deals over 200 damage. I'm guessing that's Tempest Rush, which deals 50% weapon damage. Or, back when the video was made, dealt 75% weapon damage.

I think? The numbers don't quite add up, there. Either way, that video ostensible takes place in Nightmare Mode. By then, I sure hope 135% weapon damage is more than measly 100 or so.
Reply Quote
well, for all we know the monk could be at max level hitting normal mobs. We shouldn't take the damage amount to have any meaning in a showcase video.

Just trying to be practical, not doomy or gloomy. I don't think Blizz intended there to be a skill where you do 1300% wep dmg (runed) in like a second or two

Did you really watch it? 10 seconds after the section of footage referenced, he gets pretty much 100-0'd in a split second - the quick deaths were the whole point of the video. That is DEFINITELY not a max lvl toon playing in normal. Compare the numbers coming off of them to the ones when he uses Tempest Rush and SSS. They're all pretty close, except when the BIG numbers(which I assume are criticals) pop up.

Reply Quote

I don't really care about the video, but do you think it is possible that blizz will give us a spirit generator that deals 3240% wep dmg over a single combo? It even looks like the speed to complete a combo is about the same as one deadly strike

there would be absolutely no reason to use anything else. nothing in game would even come close to this dmg

I just don't see it

sorry to break your heart, its going to be split dmg (maybe with an aoe component added to it).

So, rather than use what few facts we actually have about the skill you'd rather, what? Be depressing? ;P I also don't see where you 3240% weapon damage. It should be at most 9x140% or 12x140% which worse case comes to 1680%. I guess it could be 8X140%+220%, but that still comes nowhere close.

Just curious. If your going to be depressing, at least be accurate. :D
Reply Quote

Wait, wait can't each 100-ish damage hit be a fraction of the total damage? In that same video, just before Way of the Hundred Fists, the Monk also does this purple-charge-run-through-enemies move that deals over 200 damage. I'm guessing that's Tempest Rush, which deals 50% weapon damage. Or, back when the video was made, dealt 75% weapon damage.

I think? The numbers don't quite add up, there. Either way, that video ostensible takes place in Nightmare Mode. By then, I sure hope 135% weapon damage is more than measly 100 or so.

There's a damage range on weapons. You know, the RNG part of the damage equation. DPS numbers should be [(damagemin + damagemax)/2](#ofattackspersecond). This has nothing to do with how much an inidividual hit strieks for. Depending on the damage range, I could easily see those numbers being 130% of weapon damage. I saw lots of hits in the 200-300 point range in there, also. If that's 20% of that weapons damage... well, that would be a pretty terrifying weapon.

Admittedly, there are too many factors we can't account for - what buffs he had, what his stats were, how much the damage on the weapon was. On the D3 site, though, the lvl 60 legendary daibo's max damage is 481, and the highest damage i see on a normal staff is 597... I think it's safe to say that at 250 pt hit is not 20% of a weapon damage.

If we go with the fact that he was 40th lvl-ish(which I pick because lvl 40 was the level they let people use in the demos they put on at BlizzCon - which I thought was what I heard this video was from???), the lvl 42 legendary daibo has a damage range of 72-132, if we factor in stat bonuses, buffs and the fact that he's hitting for 120-130%, that puts us much closer to the damage ranges we're seeing here.

Again, it's all speculation, but the more that I look at the weapons and monk abilities the more certain I am that I'm correct. I'm certain enough to make a wager about it, and I pretty much only make bets when I'm sure I'll win... or when what's being bet is something I don't care about at all.

Anyway, I know that won't change your minds on the subject, but examine things more closely. If you are really impartial about it, I think you'll see that I'm correct.

It would certainly account for the across the board damage nerfs we saw for monks a few weeks ago...
Reply Quote
The video came out this year. Maybe last month even. It is still on the Diablo 3 home page.

You Will Die. We Promise.
by Kaivax 2/9/2012

Yep, Feb 9th.

But until we can know what or how much weapon damage they were using. It is hard to tell if each hit represents 125% weapon damage or not.

All i know is they were testing the difficulty of Nightmare, hell and Inferno. So he may be level 60 but his gear didn't seem to be legendary.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
There's no way any spirit generator is going to hit multiple targets 7 times each at 125% per hit. It has to be divided up amongst the hits, like 18% per hit. It would be cool if it hit each enemy in the cone 7 times at 18%, but its just as likely the 7 hits are dispersed between the enemies.

How cool would it be though if you could hit 3 guys 7 times each with one attack? imagine the possibilities with on-hit effects! (the best heal on hit gem gives back 300 life per hit [x21!!]). I'd be ok with a 6k heal on whack#2 of each combo.
Reply Quote
There's no way any spirit generator is going to hit multiple targets 7 times each at 125% per hit. It has to be divided up amongst the hits, like 18% per hit. It would be cool if it hit each enemy in the cone 7 times at 18%, but its just as likely the 7 hits are dispersed between the enemies.

How cool would it be though if you could hit 3 guys 7 times each with one attack? imagine the possibilities with on-hit effects! (the best heal on hit gem gives back 300 life per hit [x21!!]). I'd be ok with a 6k heal on whack#2 of each combo.

All I can say is watch the video in the sections that Archangel put up there. People keep saying this, when we have proof - visible, tangible proof that it DOES work this way. They could easily make it so that each 'hit' can only count once, or even that only the first hit counts if this turns out to be too powerful, without reducing the damage numbers.

If, as a couple of the other poster have, you disagree AFTER looking closely at that video then come back here and discuss it with me. Please read the whole thread before you do so.....

I get tired of repeating myself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]