Diablo® III

In need of a Primary Ice Skill

100 Human Paladin
03/16/2012 10:33 PMPosted by Heratli
I've heard you can use Spectral Blade signature spell with a weapon that has +Frost damage and it will apply the buff, but I have not personally tested this.

It works. I have tested it.

Spectral Blade acts as though you are meleeing the mobs. If the weapon has an added effect, it will use it. It snares with Frost, and sets things on fire with Fire.

Something you can do later in the game is get a fire enchanted weapon, and using Conflagration passive, cast Meteor on the mobs after setting them ablaze with Spectral Blade, thus getting extra damage.

Oh and for the other guy who was complaining about no good 2-handers for Wizards, the short staves are likely to frequently come with intellect on them. They're 2-handed weapons.
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Dekkar
I've heard you can use Spectral Blade signature spell with a weapon that has +Frost damage and it will apply the buff, but I have not personally tested this.

It works. I have tested it.

Spectral Blade acts as though you are meleeing the mobs. If the weapon has an added effect, it will use it. It snares with Frost, and sets things on fire with Fire.

Something you can do later in the game is get a fire enchanted weapon, and using Conflagration passive, cast Meteor on the mobs after setting them ablaze with Spectral Blade, thus getting extra damage.

Oh and for the other guy who was complaining about no good 2-handers for Wizards, the short staves are likely to frequently come with intellect on them. They're 2-handed weapons.

Excellent. But of course I'll still be testing it myself.

Do you know if Magic Weapon works for Casted spells as well? I've heard it does which means 20% extra damage (give or take) from the rune. It would only be weapon damage I think, wouldn't add to +damage bonus, but quite amazing nonetheless.

I'll personally be testing Mammoth Hydra/Normal Hydra to try and get Conflagration.

Black Ice was a small issue for me though. Without letting yourself get hit it was difficult - blizzard was almost the best way to keep it up AoE for full duration, and really the only spell that benefits from it outside of Comet which you can't really spam per se.

Easy on single targets with ray of frost, and easy versus simple bursts of Comet with Frost Nova + Bone Chill.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/16/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Heratli
Do you know if Magic Weapon works for Casted spells as well? I've heard it does which means 20% extra damage (give or take) from the rune. It would only be weapon damage I think, wouldn't add to +damage bonus, but quite amazing nonetheless.

It's anyone's guess, as we haven't been able to test the ability (too high level for beta). I feel that it SHOULD, because otherwise there's not much incentive to use a slot on Magic Weapon. However, like I said, it's all conjecture at this point.
Reply Quote
03/17/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Dekkar

It's anyone's guess, as we haven't been able to test the ability (too high level for beta). I feel that it SHOULD, because otherwise there's not much incentive to use a slot on Magic Weapon. However, like I said, it's all conjecture at this point.

It was in the beta around what, patch 7-8? I just didn't think to test it myself.
Reply Quote
As the description states now, Magic Weapon increases the physical damage your weapon deals by 20%. I personally couldn't tell a difference in my spells as to when I had it on or off in the beta.

Going by the description, I'd say it only increases the damage your sword/staff/mace does when you swing it. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer damage increase skill, and furthermore, the rune alterations would be ridiculous if they applied to all your spells. Poison Blizzards, Incinerate with Life Leech... lol.
Reply Quote
They apply to Spectral Blade. We haven't tested others because they're simply not released.

Wand deal physical damage. This physical damage or 'weapon damage' is applied to all spells. I've heard a lot of people say it does effect it that have tested it.

Of course going by the description one would think it only applies to autoattacks/melee wizards, but things don't always work that way.
Reply Quote
Their original intent of the wizard was to be more "arcane" than fire/ice/lightning. However, they did seem to stray from that ideal.
Reply Quote
03/17/2012 12:39 PMPosted by D3BETA
Their original intent of the wizard was to be more "arcane" than fire/ice/lightning. However, they did seem to stray from that ideal.

Thank god.

The disparity between # of damaging spells is pretty crazy, although I'm not too sure where Archon fits in or where 2 of the Familiars fit in.

-Cold (21 Spells + Runes: 1 Frost Nova, 6 Ray of Frost, 6 Ice Armor, 1 Hydra, 1 Meteor, 6 Blizzard)

-Fire (8 Spells + Runes: 5 Meteor, 2 Hydra, 1 Shock Pulse)

-Arcane (32 Spells + Runes: 6 Magic Missile, 6 Arcane Orb, 6 Arcane Torrent, 6 Energy Twister, 6 Disintegrate, 1 Hydra, 1+ Archon)

-Lightning (19 Spells + Runes: 5 Shock Pulse, 6 Electrocute, 6 Storm Armor, 1 Hydra, 1 Magic Weapon)

-Physical (28 Spells + Runes + Basic: 1 Basic Attack, 1 Diamond Skin, 6 Spectral Blade, 6 Wave of Force, 6 Explosive Blast, 6 Magic Weapon, 1 Teleport, 1 Mirror Images)

-Poison (2 Spells+Runes: 1 Hydra, 1 Magic Weapon)
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cTl!X!YZY

Base Cost reduced to 9, plus an extra 4 base AP regen.

Not as good as a cost of 0, but you can still regenerate AP this way while channeling it.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP,

For example, the arcane built with "Temporal Flux" (as well as arcane torrent with arcane orb), feels far more flexible and overall better than a frost built based on "Black Ice".

Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cTl!X!YZY

Base Cost reduced to 9, plus an extra 4 base AP regen.

Not as good as a cost of 0, but you can still regenerate AP this way while channeling it.

I just went for Cold Blood plus Astral Presence for a 0 cost, you can't regen, but I think it will still be very effective assuming you have no additional increase AP generation.

This is an Ice build I am thinking about atm (PVP Focus): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cPYQjX!WgX!YZZYbb

This is an alternative build if I have a cold enchanted weapons:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dcYQjX!Wgc!caZYbb
Edited by ComplexPants on 3/18/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Heratli
Current game guide is quite outdated, as is the Wizard sticky by Sixen - by about seven months now. I'll be posting a guide that is updated shortly on these forums, but it will be a link to Force Strategy Gaming forums when it goes live.

What? The game guide was updated with Patch 13. At least, the Skill Calculator was. Which is the part that has the Cold Blood rune stating that it reduces RoF AP to 0.

It's been like that for several iterations. I find it fairly hard to believe that after several revamps of the skill system, and consequently the skill calculator, they just happened to miss that as a bug. Especially since it first changed to 0 shortly after Jay said they were thinking about messing around with the Beam spells and AP last Blizzcon.

I also can't find any official post saying that's a bug.
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Scowarr
Current game guide is quite outdated, as is the Wizard sticky by Sixen - by about seven months now. I'll be posting a guide that is updated shortly on these forums, but it will be a link to Force Strategy Gaming forums when it goes live.

What? The game guide was updated with Patch 13. At least, the Skill Calculator was. Which is the part that has the Cold Blood rune stating that it reduces RoF AP to 0.

It's been like that for several iterations. I find it fairly hard to believe that after several revamps of the skill system, and consequently the skill calculator, they just happened to miss that as a bug. Especially since it first changed to 0 shortly after Jay said they were thinking about messing around with the Beam spells and AP last Blizzcon.

I also can't find any official post saying that's a bug.

It is 12 AP. I checked in game with advanced tooltips. I would make you a screen shot if the servers were up. However, they haven't updated the skill calculator for a while now. If patch 15 is more or less the final build of the game I would expect the skills calculator to be updated soon™.
Reply Quote
It is 12 AP. I checked in game with advanced tooltips. I would make you a screen shot if the servers were up. However, they haven't updated the skill calculator for a while now. If patch 15 is more or less the final build of the game I would expect the skills calculator to be updated soon™.

That's not necessary, I'll check myself :P

That's quite the bummer. Why would they put in all the effort to change the Skill Calculator UI and not update it.
Reply Quote
I am guessing because they new changes would be happening soon™ so they chose to put their man power elsewhere.
Reply Quote

Thank god.

The disparity between # of damaging spells is pretty crazy, although I'm not too sure where Archon fits in or where 2 of the Familiars fit in.

-Cold (21 Spells + Runes: 1 Frost Nova, 6 Ray of Frost, 6 Ice Armor, 1 Hydra, 1 Meteor, 6 Blizzard)

-Fire (8 Spells + Runes: 5 Meteor, 2 Hydra, 1 Shock Pulse)

-Arcane (32 Spells + Runes: 6 Magic Missile, 6 Arcane Orb, 6 Arcane Torrent, 6 Energy Twister, 6 Disintegrate, 1 Hydra, 1+ Archon)

-Lightning (19 Spells + Runes: 5 Shock Pulse, 6 Electrocute, 6 Storm Armor, 1 Hydra, 1 Magic Weapon)

-Physical (28 Spells + Runes + Basic: 1 Basic Attack, 1 Diamond Skin, 6 Spectral Blade, 6 Wave of Force, 6 Explosive Blast, 6 Magic Weapon, 1 Teleport, 1 Mirror Images)

-Poison (2 Spells+Runes: 1 Hydra, 1 Magic Weapon)

I would really like a dedicated Ice and Fire Signature, as well as a handful of fire skills/runes, and remove the posion
Edited by Vaaz on 3/18/2012 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I still stand by my original suggestion of giving Magic missile to be runed into Frost bolt.

Anyways i am rolling my theme build here.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cYfRQP!XWf!YaYbYZ
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Scowarr

That's not necessary, I'll check myself :P

That's quite the bummer. Why would they put in all the effort to change the Skill Calculator UI and not update it.

They're likely changing so much right now it's simply a waste of time to update everything constantly until it's finalized in the next month or so.

Theorycrafting population is fairly minimal, most just like the excitement of the spells and runes.

Edit: But they really should delete sixen's guide on this forum it's quite outdated and misleading.
Edited by Heratli on 3/19/2012 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]