Diablo® III

Boss Fatalities

Still in?

I keep hearing they were removed, but I don't think we've actually seen any boss footage other than what was shown couple years ago. If I remember correctly, it was the Siegebreaker Assault Beast chomping on your character's head.

If the reasoning for removing them was "we don't want to create an incentive to let your character die", then I guess I can understand it, but I still think the concept is badass.

EDIT: This is the kill I'm talking about: http://youtu.be/iWGL_DthwX0
EDIT 2: Better video, lol
Edited by Thanatos on 3/16/2012 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
removed. Reason: To hard to implement.
Edited by ACPRO on 3/16/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure they are gone due to time constraints. Is the siegebreaker sitll a boss in the game though? I hope so, he rocks.
Reply Quote
Is there any source or blue post saying they are officially out of the game?
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Thanatos
Is there any source or blue post saying they are officially out of the game?

Yes there was. They are removed. Bashiok has stated this. And what you saw in that game demo was pretty much entirely pre made just to demo it.

You should honestly be used to this. A lot of promises they made from numerous blizzcons have been completely scrapped.

Its blizzard, false advertising and hype is what they do best.
Edited by ACPRO on 3/16/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
removed. Reason: To hard to implement.

i knew i was forgetting another major feature removed

let's see:

charms/talisman, enchants, arena, boss fatalities, rune drops

what else?

to be fair arena's werent dropped. They're being postponed. If they decide to go activision on us and charge us for it then you can put it on your list.

The drop of the enchant system was once again because "They didnt have enough time". More like they removed the feature so they can repackage it in the expansion.
Edited by ACPRO on 3/16/2012 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's already plenty of intermediate animations and mini-cinimatics in the game already. I can do without this feature.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Mage
They stated it was scripted and they couldn't get it to work without someone typing in commands the whole time.
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Senlel
They stated it was scripted and they couldn't get it to work without someone typing in commands the whole time.

That makes sense. It's not a huge deal but it would have been cool.

Definitely looking forward to release!

EDIT: I found the blue post for anyone else who's curious.

Unfortunately we never managed to get these implemented. They were a really cool idea, but a pretty huge amount of work. The one we showed of the siegebreaker was a scripted sequence we set up specifically for that video. It was never implemented, and never actually worked without someone sitting there typing in a bunch of commands to get it all to fire off properly. It's still something we'd like to do, though.

All things considered there are just higher priority tasks sometimes. We'd love, for example, to have the monk display his weapons during all of his skill animations. But it's an enormous animation and effects investment to get it done, and we have to weigh all of these things against other features and polish. A lot of the skills we could improve have multiple animation sets, multiplied twice for each gender, and then multiplied by each weapon type he can equip. That can be 40 or more unique animations, and then there's a full FX pass, approvals, QA testing, etc. etc. and that'd just be for 1 skill.

We have our wish lists, but it's a balancing act of resources. Ideally our choices when balancing go toward setting realistic limitations, and producing the best game possible.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3967589584?page=5#82
Edited by Thanatos on 3/16/2012 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It would be so simple to have boss fatalities that just trigger when your character WOULD have died. It is like ONE line of code, if health=0 then boss fatality.
Reply Quote

You should honestly be used to this. A lot of promises they made from numerous blizzcons have been completely scrapped.

Its blizzard, false advertising and hype is what they do best.

Have you ever followed any game developer's progress to the release of a game? Ideas are scrapped because they don't work or aren't fun. Stop acting like an entitled brat that's upset because mother promised pudding for dessert tonight and you didn't get any because you didn't eat your meat.

How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Fatalities weren't removed, they never existed to begin with. The Barbarian's violent death during the WWI gameplay demo was scripted.
Reply Quote
we want BOSS FATALITIES back!!!!!! please :)
Reply Quote
03/16/2012 07:20 PMPosted by ACPRO

i knew i was forgetting another major feature removed

let's see:

charms/talisman, enchants, arena, boss fatalities, rune drops

what else?

to be fair arena's werent dropped. They're being postponed. If they decide to go activision on us and charge us for it then you can put it on your list.

The drop of the enchant system was once again because "They didnt have enough time". More like they removed the feature so they can repackage it in the expansion.

Not just arena. Charms/talisman, enchants, and arena are all things they've said they want to bring back in expansions.
Reply Quote
One of the big problems that made boss fatalities get axed was that the boss could not otherwise attack other players while doing a fatality on another character.

A long fatality sequence might cause boss-kill strategies in SC where someone intentionally dies to the boss, and the other players have a long time to beat the boss down risk-free.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]