Diablo® III

What's the point of wands?

77 Troll Druid
So I'm looking at the base damage of wands (and 1h in general) plus the damage orbs add and comparing it to staves (I believe the only 2h weapon wiz can equip) and the base damage on staves is much higher, even when you add the damage from orbs.

So why would a wizard in their right mind EVER do a 1h + orb combo against a solid 2h weapon with all skills scaling off of weapon damage?
Reply Quote

So why would a wizard in their right mind EVER do a 1h + orb combo against a solid 2h weapon with all skills scaling off of weapon damage?

2x the affixes if you have 2 items most likely.
Reply Quote
So I'm looking at the base damage of wands (and 1h in general) plus the damage orbs add and comparing it to staves (I believe the only 2h weapon wiz can equip) and the base damage on staves is much higher, even when you add the damage from orbs.

Wands and offhands will allow you to cast faster.

Our spells aren't calculated per second but per cast, or 'attack speed'.

Wands are generally 1.4 attacks per second or one attack per .73.

2H are generally 1.0 or 1 attack per 1.0 seconds

That being said, with regen at 10 wands are casting more signature spells and etc than 2H users - as you can blow through AP as quickly or as slowly as you'd like.

1H/OH better for survivability, and probably better damage when you're allowed to just sit and nuke.

2H not as good for survivability, but better damage for kiting since more damage per AP.

There are tradeoffs. It's very situational. In team play and Hardcore I'll be using 1h/oh assuming I don't find an amazing 2H. In softcore I'll be using 2h provided I don't find a 1h/oh that has better damage. Int is a huge factor and +damage from offhands, or even shields on your offhand can help survivability.

You can equip any 2h that isn't meant specifically for the other classes, such as Mighty Weapons for Barbarians, or Great Weapons w/e they're calling them nowadays.

I have a 2H Axe with my wizard atm with int and it's beautiful.

Reply Quote

2x the affixes if you have 2 items most likely.

True but 2hs will probably have more than either item alone - double? maybe not, but its damage should generally be better than 1h+oh as far as pure physical goes.

In the end you'll probably find one or the other that is just much better. While leveling 2H is generally preferable (at least from my 1-13 experience) simply because you're moving around a lot which gives you plenty of time to regen AP. The first cast is equal speed for both spells.
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Heratli
The first cast is equal speed for both spells.

Are you sure about this? Just checking because for me, I feel like 2H-weapons take a few more frames to cast (even on the first cast).
Reply Quote
77 Troll Druid
Thanks a lot for explaining the weapon mechanics! Not sure which I would take over the other though...
Reply Quote
Also, take into account that two of the three Wiz only items are part of the 1H/OH combo, and some of these will include important, Wiz specific affixes. Plus skill stuff comes to mind immediately, although admittedly they have yet to explain exactly how they will function. I believe that endgame play will be dominated by 1H/OH.
Reply Quote
I've played many sorceresses in D2 and they always worked best with non character weapons to start but progressed into character specifics later. In patch 14 went with uber two handed sword. What does it matter how fast you can attack when one hit kills the wee ones and one big hit with a follow up hit kills the rest? You want a skill with a long cool down to hit hard once.
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 08:34 PMPosted by D3BETA

Are you sure about this? Just checking because for me, I feel like 2H-weapons take a few more frames to cast (even on the first cast).

I can test it more thoroughly. Certain spells come out instantly either way. The animation or 'wind-up' to certain spells is probably extended with a 2H - and any related self-immobilizes that come from not being able to animation cancel will be extended as well.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 12:38 PMPosted by BlackRabbi
Also, take into account that two of the three Wiz only items are part of the 1H/OH combo, and some of these will include important, Wiz specific affixes. Plus skill stuff comes to mind immediately, although admittedly they have yet to explain exactly how they will function. I believe that endgame play will be dominated by 1H/OH.

You may be correct, but what's more likely - getting the uber end game gear like Oculus or getting some common 2h like IK's Maul? It's good to know that 2Hs will actually work for wizards, and are arguably better for builds that just focus on running around and hitting hard every once in awhile (i.e. no casting signatures just waiting for AP)

We'll see once the game hits. So many things being arguably viable - like 1h/oh with AP per Crit, just makes me excited.
Reply Quote
Precisely! I'm excited by the concept that multiple play styles will be viable, allowing one to choose something more in tune with how they want to play instead of just having to pick the only one that works.

As far as the end game loot rarity issue, you raise a good point, but there is also the possibility of getting those good affixes on a piece of crafted gear as well.

I think that the most important tool you are going to have in this game is not something you equip, but the ability to maintain a fluidity in your mindset which will allow multiple creative solutions to the carnage at hand and then choosing the one right for you. Oh, it's gonna be great fun. :)
Edited by BlackRabbi on 3/19/2012 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
cast rate
magic properties

and dare i say it

Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye

cant wait to have another purple mfer
Reply Quote
cast rate
magic properties

and dare i say it

Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye

As long as Tal'Rashas still lets you glow, I'm using it.

No questions. No optimization. @#$@# that !@#$.

I like the shinies.
Reply Quote
cast rate
magic properties

and dare i say it

Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye

I like the shinies.

my wiz is gonna look so gay lolz
Reply Quote

I like the shinies.

Male Wizards achieve that simply by existing. Similar to Male Blood Elves.

In fact the first thing I thought looking at him was 'if he had pointy ears he'd be a Blood Elf'.

He's pretty gay. Just sit there and look at him for a few seconds.

Female Wizard is where it's at.

I'm going with fem Wiz, fem monk, fem wd, fem DH, male barbarian.

Female Barbarian is too much woman for me to handle.
Reply Quote
03/18/2012 08:34 PMPosted by D3BETA

You were correct. The first cast with a 2h does take awhile, due to the slowed animation. The self-root is also longer on slower weapons.

A pity.
Reply Quote

Male Wizards achieve that simply by existing. Similar to Male Blood Elves.

In fact the first thing I thought looking at him was 'if he had pointy ears he'd be a Blood Elf'.

He's pretty gay. Just sit there and look at him for a few seconds.

Female Wizard is where it's at.

I'm going with fem Wiz, fem monk, fem wd, fem DH, male barbarian.

i think i pick the exact opposite for all my chars,all males accept barb... for irony and all.
Gotta have the male wizard main merkin mfer machine. (i just hope that smoke dye works on tals)

idk how you can not like the male dh though i mean the dude looks just like ezio... if only he had a hidden dagger
Reply Quote
77 Troll Druid

O come on, where's your sense of adventure?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]