Diablo® III

AH and RMAH may ruin game?

Is anyone else afraid that the AH's may ruin diablo in a way? im sure that this topic may have been discussed before, but i am afraid that it may ruin the game in a way where twinks are made and no one really has to work for their gear because they can just buy it with either gold or money.

Please discuss, No trolling please.
Reply Quote
blizzard decided to fight poison with poison
if they can't stop the gold farmers, join them
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Doom
No. D2 was ran that same way behind Blizzard's back via 3rd party websites.

I was well aware of this, but it was not as easy to use as the Ah blizz is putting in. Im also not saying they shouldnt have one, im just afraid it may alter the game a bit.

03/19/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Fen
Every item that will be listed on either AH will be found from a player that was playing the game. Nothing will be directly sold by blizzard. I don't see a problem with it.

I know that blizz will not be putting items in the Ah. But after a few months, there is basicaly going to be every item in the AH because there will be basically thousands of auctions created hourly.

blizzard decided to fight poison with poison
if they can't stop the gold farmers, join them

Im also not talking about just gold farmers. lol. Just about the game and the general public.
Edited by DrPro on 3/19/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
How does it ruin the game for *you* specifically?

How do the things other people do with gold or money affect your experience?
Reply Quote
How does it ruin the game for *you* specifically?

How do the things other people do with gold or money affect your experience?

It will affect me because i will buy items off the AH no doubt, which will make the game much easier long down the road. I also am well aware that i have the option not to use the AH at all. But it will be too tempting, because i want power!!! lol

And i honestly dont care what people do with their gold/ money.
Reply Quote
Diablo II was all about trading, this was a design decision from blizzard, but implemented badly. We're meant to trade items in diablo, if we weren't then it would be possible at all, and all items would be untradable or 'soulbound' for lack of a better term.

Forget the RMAH and all it's controversy, the addition of an AH is a great thing, it makes trading(which as i said is a huge part of diablo) much easier.
Reply Quote
Diablo II was all about trading, this was a design decision from blizzard, but implemented badly. We're meant to trade items in diablo, if we weren't then it would be possible at all, and all items would be untradable or 'soulbound' for lack of a better term.

Forget the RMAH and all it's controversy, the addition of an AH is a great thing, it makes trading(which as i said is a huge part of diablo) much easier.

I suppose, trading in D2 was a huge pain. lol. Half the time it seemed like no one wanted anything you had.
Reply Quote
As both are completely optional, there is no way RMAH/AH should ruin anyone's play experience. I think it is more important to note how the RMAH influences certain design decisions. Focus on the flat transaction fee and what kinds of incentives it creates. I think it has highly influenced the development of the item system, based on what blizzard employees have said about "diversifying" the items of the game. In D2X, the late game items were these super-rare, super-unique items that every single character in the game needed (Enigma), the rarity of these items drove people to actually offer real money for them. In D3, however, it looks like there will be an extremely diverse pool of maybe not super-rare items to stimulate the #of transactions on the convenient, accessible RMAH.
Edited by rudboi on 3/19/2012 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Wow. What a broken attempt at making a point with a question that is wide open to a myriad of valid answers. Ironic giving this poster's name.

It's an honest question whose answer differs for each, but a question some people don't consider. He said it would 'ruin the game' because of twinks etc; so I ask, how does that ruin the game for him, specifically?

Another question would be: why make a statement like 'What a broken attempt' etc, and then not back that up with any reasoning of your own?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/19/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Troc
The RMAH was created to offset sub losses from WoW. Blizzard employs some very smart business men who helped develop the RMAH. Anyone who believes they made the RMAH because they want to combat 3rd party websites is under some form of delusion.

Yes, that's certainly more delusional that discarding the developers' published rationale and substituting your own theory in its place.
Reply Quote
03/19/2012 05:22 PMPosted by rudboi
As both are completely optional, there is no way RMAH/AH should ruin anyone's play experience. I think it is more important to note how the RMAH influences certain design decisions. Focus on the flat transaction fee and what kinds of incentives it creates. I think it has highly influenced the development of the item system, based on what blizzard employees have said about "diversifying" the items of the game. In D2X, the late game items were these super-rare, super-unique items that every single character in the game needed (Enigma), the rarity of these items drove people to actually offer real money for them. In D3, however, it looks like there will be an extremely diverse pool of maybe not super-rare items to stimulate the #of transactions on the convenient, accessible RMAH.

If you have played D2 anytime soon, youll realize Enigma's are not hard to find. That is because of how MF did in a way Ruin D2. Items like that were supposed to be super rare, but did not actually turnout to be rare due to the fact of MF and such. But i believe the Super Rares in D3 will indeed, be super rare.
Reply Quote

If you have played D2 anytime soon, youll realize Enigma's are not hard to find. That is because of how MF did in a way Ruin D2. Items like that were supposed to be super rare, but did not actually turnout to be rare due to the fact of MF and such. But i believe the Super Rares in D3 will indeed, be super rare.

Your point is invalid, MF did not affect rune drops. Enigmas became easy to find due to cheating. I agree with that last point, but there will be more of them, and a more diverse pool of them, and the more there are, the more that drop, the more that go on RMAH.
Edited by rudboi on 3/19/2012 5:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
im sure that this topic may have been discussed before.

You don't say.
Reply Quote
I see it as a win/win. I'm strictly singleplayer, so wont be using it at all. But what it does for me is make Blizard develop a better game to promote people playing it. I'm all for an optional income stream to the people developing the game. You don't have to use it. You don't even need to acknowledge it's existance.
Reply Quote
Your aegument is base on the assumption of "everyone can afford anything that is on the AH", which is impossible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]